How to succeed on Neopets and make tons of NeoPoints.
Have you ever played Neopets?
What is Neopets?
Neopets is an all inclusive virtual pet website launched in 1999. It allows creativity, goal setting, independence, and fun. A user on this website can choose and customize up to four pets. They then must earn "neopoints" to buy food, toys, customization items, and items to complete quests or goals.
Of course, it is completely possible to ignore all of the other functions, and simply create a pet, and play games or hang out in a forum all day long.
I've played Neopets for about seven years off and on. Some people think it is a completely juvenile website, and though it is at times aimed toward a younger audience, it still allows users with more experience to stay challenged and engaged. However when a user first starts out they need to be aware of a few things.
Neopets Starter Guide
- Stay with one pet for at least a month. It's tempting to create all four pets your first day. However, once a pet is created it needs to be cared for, and if you are a first time player, then you need to focus more on building your empire than finding cheap food for all of your pets.
- Set goals. Do you want to collect all the stamps, train your pet to be a great fighter, become a genius and read all the books available, or earn the most trophies for high scores in the game room? Regardless of the goal, set it and stick to it, but don't forget to take care of your pet.
- Start your shop. You will find free items on the site that you do not need, as well as end up with items you already have. When this happens it is best to try to sell them. When you put an item in your shop, check the price with the shop wizard. The shop wizard will show you about what the item is selling for.
- Play games. There are all types of games on the site, and most of them are high quality. The games also are available in different difficulties, so if one is too hard or easy go to the next one.
- Read the FAQs and Beginner guide. It is an easy website, but it never hurts to find out about what is going on directly from the source.
- Visit the freebies sites. There is a soup kitchen for poor Neopians in the marketplace. Also try the Tombola, the Shrine, the Healing Springs, and the Omelet.
- Have fun! Remember this is only a game, and you should not become overly stressed with it. You don't NEED to spend money on it to have fun.
- Watch out for scams. Yes, even on a somewhat juvenile website there are still scams. The most common ones are for free Neopoints, or for spending real world money to buy more Neopoints off of a different website.
- Don't be afraid to look for help. If you're stuck on an idea or game, then check out the forums for help, or Google your problem. There are tons of websites dedicated to Neopets help, and game walkthroughs on YouTube, and the Neopets community in the forums are always very friendly and willing to lend a helping hand.
How to Make a Lot of NeoPoints
Once you're stable and understand how the site works, you may begin to want some of the higher end items, like the very expensive paintbrushes. To be able to afford these goodies, you'll need to earn a large amount of NeoPoints.
This is the easiest and most straight forward way of earning. Most games are some near a 1:15 ratio for earning NeoPoints. This means that you'll get 1 NeoPoint for every 15 points that you earn in a game.
With a large variety of games available, this is one of the best ways for newbie to grind out NeoPoints.
NeoPets' daily freebies may not seem like much at first, but if you visit every day, they begin to add up. These freebies and dailies are a goo way to get NP easily.
- The Giant Omellette
- Soup Kitchen
- Free Jelly
- Money Tree
- Wheel of Excitement
- Wheel of Mediocrity
- Wheel of Extravagance
- Wheel of Knowledge
- Winter Scratchcard Kiosk
- Deserted Tomb
Many of these can award items, NeoPoints, or stat increases for your pets.
Shops are a great place to make NP once you've got the basics down, but they take some time and research. The main idea though is to buy something cheaply, and then sell it for more than you paid in your shop.
You can buy items in official NeoPets sites (the ones that are not run by users) and sell them for a steap increase. You can also sell any items that you have gained through free events here. (Collectible cards and books tend to do well)
You can also use the auction house and ShopWizard to find cheap items to resell at a profit.
The stock market is more complicated than running a shop or playing games. The idea is similar to a shop though. Buy low, sell high. This takes time and patience here though. To learn more visit this page.
Neopets Goes Cross Platform
Although Neopets is a child friendly website, it has had it's fair share of scandals.
- Immersive Advertising: After the site was bought by Doug Dohring, they began to implement "immersive advertising." This generally took the form as advertising in the form of a game, or "sponsored" activities. This gained negative attention specifically since the advertising was aimed at the young audiences. The public received this a big companies trying to "brainwash" children into buying their products.
- Jumpstart: Jumpstart bought the website in 2014, and has been plagued with problems since. The problems have ranged from glitches making the site unusable to chat filters breaking and causing the entire set to be flooded with adult content to Jumpstart firing the majority of the original Neopets staff.
Other Virtual Pet Websites like Neopets
- Foo Pets: Adopt Them, Breed Them, Love Them
- Sylestia: Create fully customizable Pets from over a dozen different species. Create fully customizable Avatars from hundreds of various styles, clothing, and items. Capture, Generate, or Breed as many pets as you like. Explore the vast regions of Sylestia through an open world RPG system and so much more!
- Rescreatu: Begin your journey by hunting for eggs on any of four diverse planets. Hatch a Creatu of your very own which you can raise, train and care for.
- MaraPets: a free virtual pet site with 21 fun-filled virtual worlds and dress up dolls. We are always creating and adding new content to the game.