Tanning Leather in DayZ Standalone
In order to craft items with animal pelts, they must first be crafted into tanned leather. This is a simple process that involves several tools and materials. Gathering the needed items will likely take much longer than the actual crafting.
Needed for Crafting Tanned Leather:
- An Animal Pelt
Steps for Crafting Tanned Leather:
- Gathering the Materials
- Craft Tanned Leather
Note: This guide was created based on DayZ Standalone - Early Access Alpha Testing, version .55, and is likely to be altered after the release of future versions.
Step 1: Gathering The Materials
The animal hide is not a lootable item, but must instead be crafted from a dead animal. This will require the player to first hunt down an animal, and then skin a quarter it. Crafting the pelt will require several tools, and will likely be the most time consuming part of the leather curing process.
Needed for Obtaining An Animal Hide:
- A Firearm With Ammo - Beating a cow to death with a Fire Extinguisher is impressive, but not an ideal method of hunting. Any firearm is capable of taking down an animal, but rifles work best. Hunting with the Improvised Bow is another good option, which allows the player to hunt silently.
- A Bladed Tool - Several items can be used to skin and quarter an animal. The most common are the Improvised Knife, Hunting Knife, Kitchen Knife, Machete, and Military Knife.
Looting a Bag of Lime
Unlike the Animal Pelt, lime is acquired by looting. It is commonly found in outside structures and by non-operational vehicles. Finding this common item is not difficult, but making room in your inventory can be challenging. A bag of Lime takes up six slots, two horizontal by three vertical.
Step 2: Crafting Tanned Leather
There are several crafting methods available in DayZ. For the example below, I will use the drag and drop method. In order to start this step, you will need to have an animal pelt and a bag of lime.
Steps For Crafting Tanned Leather:
- In the player interface menu, drag your bag of lime over the Cow Pelt, the lime background should be orange.
- Release your mouse button, a menu should appear.
- Select "Tan Cow Pelt to 3 Tanned Leathers"
- A pop-up should appearing, stating that you crafted Tanned Leather
Other Useful Information
- You will need a leather sewing kit in order to craft with Tanned Leather.
- Tanned Leather can be used to craft several clothing items.
- A water Pouch can also be crafted with Tanned Leather.
- Leather is more durable and offers more protection than most civilian clothing.