The 10 Football Manager 2013 Players Who are Nearly as Good as Messi
If you’re a football fan, then you know for a fact that there’s no one quite like Lionel Messi. In the real world and in the world of Football Manager, Messi’s attributes rank among the highest. But the Football Manager Video Game breaks down his scores on various attributes, and there’s a nifty new function that allows you to “find similar players” so you can get players who have similar skills and talents as the football superstar.
So how did this list come about? These players all have scores of at least 16 in Creativity, Flair, Acceleration, and Agility, and at least 17 in Technique. Just in case you don’t remember, Lionel Messi scores 20 on all of these. He also scores 18s and 19s in nine other attributes!
So here they are:
1. Vagner Love. Never mind the fact that Football Manager managed to overestimate his abilities a few years back. He’s still skillful, fast, and scores 18 in Natural Fitness (Messi only scores 14 here). He’s even taller than Messi!
2. Santi Cazorla. He’s a more affordable version of Messi. A great dribbler and an able shooter from a distance, his free kick taking abilities are even higher than Messi’s. Cazorla’s finishing, though, isn’t quite as great.
3. Sebastian Giovinco. Lots of Juventus fans would probably agree to Giovinco’s inclusion on this list. He isn’t all that tall, but he’s got talent for sure. This 26-year old still has more to show on the pitch.
4. Hatem Ben Arfa. Quite a lot of blokes point to Arfa as one of their favorites, and that’s hardly surprising. He’s got astonishing skills and his quickness has to be seen. In FM13, his Balance is 20 compared to Messi’s 16. He’d make a great fit into any club.
5. Juan Mata. He’s one great choice—a real no-brainer especially if you’ve seen him on the field with his eyes on the ball. The 25-year Chelsea player isn’t as quick as Messi though, but then he scores higher on the Bravery scale.
6. Takashi Inui. This 24-year old player from the Land of the Rising Sun may raise a few eyebrows being on this list, but the scouting report from Football Manager shows that he’s got the skills and the quickness. You may not have heard of him before, but he can be a Messi clone with a more affordable price tag.
7. Sergio Aguero. The man from Man City is another no-brainer of a choice. They look somewhat alike (they both come from and play for Argentina, after all) and when Aguero dribbles his way around opponents you may even swear it’s Messi.
8. Eden Hazard. The 22-year old is still young, but this Chelsea star is becoming world-famous. The fans of the Blues will probably be cheering for him for many years to come.
9. Mario Gotze. Some people agree that this upcoming German talent is really the next best thing to Messi. He’s only starting to become famous, but Football Manager is calling it inevitable.
10. Iker Muniain. He’s got the attributes to prove he’s good, which is a surprise considering he’s only 20 years old. He’s a star in the making, that’s for sure.
So there you have it. If you can’t have Messi, you can have the next best thing among the 10 on the list.
We have more Football Manager tactics and strategy at our site!
- The Best (and worst) New Features for Football Manager 2014 | Football Manager 14
It's been a long year for us FM fans but the future is nearly here so we have detailed the best and worst new features coming to Football Manager 2014.