The History of the Atari Video Game Consoles
Atari 2600 (1977)
The Atari 2600 was released in 1977 and it came with two joystick controllers and the video game called "Combat". The system was discontinued in 1990 and it released 560 games. The first gaming console that I ever owned was the 2600 junior model which my grandparents got for me in 1985. Some of the most famous video games of all time were released on this system.
Have you ever owned the "Atari Jaguar"?
Atari 5200 SuperSystem
Atari 5200 (1982)
The Atari 5200 SuperSystem was released to the public in 1982 and it was the same as the 2600 as far as graphics go. It looked nicer and it had some great new additions which were mostly about the controller. The Analong joystick has pause and reset buttons and a numeric keypad. It was discontinued in 1984 to make way for the 7800. At the time, it was amazing to see a controller or joystick equipped with a pause and reset button.
Top 10 Atari 2600 Games (Video)
Atari 7800 ProSystem
Atari 7800 (1986)
The Atari 7800 ProSystem was released in 1986 and it was backwards compatible with the 2600 console. The graphics and sound were improved tremendously on this console even though it was doomed because of the emergence of the Nintendo Entertainment System. Several excellent games were released but not nearly enough titles to compete with the NES.
Atari Jaguar (1993)
The Atari Jaguar was the first 64-bit system and it was released in 1993. This was the last video game system that Atari released other than the CD-Rom add on. The games had superb graphics and they were easy to play. The only complaint I had was the huge controller but as I said the games were top notch for the time. I had the Sega Genesis and Sega CD as well as the Jaguar and to be honest, I liked the Jaguar much better.
Best Atari Jaguar Games
Alien vs Predator
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
Atari Jaguar CD (1995)
The Jaguar CD released in 1995 and it attached to the Atari Jaguar. The video clips from the games were higher quality than the Sega CD but with only 11 games released and no hard ad campaign, it failed. If Atari had of tried harder with this concept and continued to flow out games for the Jaguar they could have competed.
Atari 5200 Commercial (Video)
Top 5 Atari 2600 Games
1. Ms. Pac-Man (1983) Everyone knows this classic. Ms. Pac-Man eats pellets and ghosts while traveling a maze.
2. Pole Position (1983) One or two player racing game. A pioneer car racing video game
3. Space Invaders (1980) You move horizontally shooting lasers at alien invaders as you dodge the incoming.
4. Demon Attack (1982) Go side to side shooting laser cannons at demons that get ore fast and complex as you advance in the game.
5. Centipede (1982) In this shooter you must destroy spiders, scorpions and of course, centipedes before they combine and reach the bottom of the screen.
Atari 7800 Console Review (Video)
Top 5 Atari 5200 Games
1. Frogger (1983) In this classic, your character is a frog and the goal is to avoid dying as you cross past traffic and over river waters.
2. Pac-Man (1983) Made the same as the arcade version other than weaker graphics. Eat pellets and fruit as you avoid ghosts even though you can eat ghosts if you eat power pellets.
3. Q*Bert (1983) You are this weird guy called Q- Bert and you jump around on squares making up a pyramid. Avoid or squash enemies as you light up the squares and advance.
4. Dig Dug (1983) Go under the earth and in the dirt to destroy monsters by tossing rocks on them or inflating them with a pump until an explosion happens.
5. Berzerk (1983) Escape mazes that are loaded with laser- shooting robots. Run or shoot them into pieces.
Donkey Kong Junior
Top 5 Atari 7800 Games
1. Asteroids (1987) Control a spaceship which can turn and shoot in all directions at flying saucers.
2. Donkey Kong Junior (1988) You Donkey Kong Jr and you must defeat Mario to save your Daddy, DK.
3. Pole Position 2 (1986) 1 or 2 player racing game that has better graphics and more cars than the original.
4. Kung-Fu Master (1989) Punch, kick and jump past karate experts and save the day. Five levels with a boss at the end of each.
5. Rampage (1988) You play as a giant gorilla, lizard or Godzilla looking creature. Destroy cities leaving nothing left as you kill and take damage from the U.S. Military.
Atari on Amazon
Atari Headquarters (California )
Toy and Game Articles
- Best Toy Action Figures of All Time
This article focuses on the top action figures for boys. He- Man, G.I. Joe, Transformers and StarWars are listed in this hub. Pictures, videos, commentary and other facts and info are also here.
- Top 20 Monopoly Board Games
Monopoly has had over a thousand variations of their board game. The following game article focuses on the top 20 Monopoly games ever produced. Photos and videos are in this hub along with comments.
- A Review of the Playstation VR
A complete break down and review of the Playstation VR is in this video game article along with videos, commentary and photos. Get up close and personal with this awesome technology.
- Best Role Playing Video Games of All Time
This Article documents the top role playing video games ever made. The Legend of Zelda, Dungeons and Dragons and Wizards and Warriors are featured in this video game hub along with pictures.
- Best Playstation 3 Games of All Time
This article is about the top Playstation 3 video games ever made. FightNight Champion, Madden Football, Grand Theft Auto 4,
Top 5 Atari Jaguar Games
1. Atari Karts (1995) If you have played Mario Kart then it is almost a carbon copy as far as gameplay goes. 1 or 2 players can race each other on several different tracks.
2. Doom (1993) This popular shooter game is played in first person. Kill demons and enter the dark layer to defeat evil with tons of big boy weapons.
3. Flashback (1992) It is a science fiction game in which you have a shield, gun and whip and must battle alien life on a strange planet.
4. Alien vs Predator (1994) You can play as a predator, Marine or an Alien. Kill enemy forces in first person mode. As the Marine you use weaponry but as the predator and Alien you use a different type of weapon.
5. Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (1994) Harry, junior must save his dad. Swing on vines and dodge alligators while getting past the jungle. The graphics and sound effects were excellent on this version.
Top 25 Atari Jaguar Games (Video)
© 2017 Buster Johnson