- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games»
- Video Game Consoles
The Sega Genesis is one of my favorite retro systems. Here is my top 10 list of my favorite games.
My gaming thoughts on the Genesis.
When I was growing up there was a big rivalry between Nintendo and Sega. I have love for many systems but for this hub I am going to discuss my favorite Sega games. There were many and everyone has different opinions on what ones should be on this list. Let us all remember "we can agree to disagree." Now narrowing down the selections was difficult for me. There were the extremely popular Mortal Kombat's, Streets of Rage, Shinobi and Sonic games but sometimes the most commercialized weren't on my list. I enjoyed various genres as well so my choices will be an eclectic mix. I hope you enjoy the titles and if you haven't played a certain one it might give you the motivation to try it out. If you have suggestions or thoughts please mention it in the guestbook at the bottom of the page.
Photo of my son Howie beating Dune
Golden Axe Games
Both Golden Axe Games are great. The second is easier to beat though.
My Top 10 Favorite Sega Genesis Games
- Dune: The Battle for Arrakis Great Rts game and I always use House Atreides. I have beaten the game many times using this house. The object of the game is to harvest spice and create a base where you must destroy the other 2 houses. There are 3 houses to choose from: Atreides, Ordos and Harkonnen.
- The Sonic Games: 1-3 were all great so I couldn't just choose one. They all have their merits and in the later games you could use Tails as well. You spin your way through levels collecting coins and its great fun.
- Mortal Kombat 2: This was the best of all 3 Mortal Kombats. It has great graphics and I prefer to use Raiden as my character. It's a fight to the death in the best of 3 matches in each level.
- Battle Toads: This was a fun game but very difficult. You can be one of 3 toads and have to battle your way to defeat the Dark Queen.
- Streets of Rage 2: This was my favorite among the three but the others are good as well. Strictly a side scrolling action game with a variety of unique weapons you could use.
- Golden Axe 1 and 2: Both games are great and you can beat them in a short amount of time. I preferred using Tyris Flare as my character. This lady could kick butt and she had the most amount of magic. You could ride dragons and this is a great side scroller.
- Double Dragon: Great fighting game with 2 brothers fighting for the love of the same girl.
- Contra Hard Corps: For all fans of Contra games this is set after Contra 3 on the NES and the first Contra title for the Genesis. Contra games are hard with a lot of shooting and action and this didn't disappoint.
- Phantasy Star 4: I'm a big fan of Phantasy Star but this is my favorite of all of them. It's turn based and you can use magic and takes place on the planet Motavia. I believe this was the best RPG series for the Sega.
- TMNT The Hyperstone Heist: I am a huge Turtles fan and though other systems made better ones like Turtles in Time which I love for the SNES, this didn't disappoint and was fun. This was the best Turtles game made for the Sega.
I was torn on many of my selections and hopefully you agree with many of them. Earthworm JIm, Phantasy Star 2 and Shining Force 2 make honorable mention and are popular games but didn't quite make my own personal list.