- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games
The World’s Largest Video Game Screen
Why do people like to play video games?
Why do people like to play video games? Because it’s fun and entertaining. Personally, everyone has different reason for playing video games. The most common reason is video games are fun. The technology of video games gets better and better, including the graphics as well. It’s also good to relieve stress or to relax. The range segment is between 15 to 65 years old. I heard that many game for nostalgic reasons. For those who played video games for a very long time, when a new game releases in the franchise, they must buy it. The fact about video game is 62% of video gamers are male and then 38% are female. Most of them play online at least four hours per week. That’s why many people love to play video game start from young to old and from male to female. We can also find the video games from smartphone, like: Angry Birds, Plants vs. Zombies and Words with Friends. Games like these are getting a lot of attention. They can play anywhere and type of this game has rank among the top purchased app lists week after week.
KIds, teenager, older love to play video games
A little history of video game
The history of video games began in the 1947 when Thomas T. Goldsmith, Jr. and Estle Ray Mann filed invention the cathode ray tube amusement device. But the device didn’t reach the popularity until the 1970s and 1980s. The era when the gaming consoles, arcade video games, and home computer games introduced to the public. Started from this era, video gaming has become a popular as one of the best entertaining system and a part of modern culture.
The history of game console
- 1967 (Brown Box) – Ralph Baer (German-born television engineer) and his coworkers design the first video-game console. This game works on standard television. He called this “chase games”. And then he designed vacuum-tube circuit that connects to a television. It allows players to control square chasing each other on the screen with the total 12 games in it. That what becomes known as the Brown Box.
- 1972 (Odyssey) – Magnavox Odyssey is the first commercial video-games console. The game console marketed in Magnavox TV leadership at the beginning 1972. It uses 12 cartridges to play up to 12 games featuring lines and dots on the screen.
- 1975 (Pong) – It’s an arcade game after Nolan Bushnell founds Atari in 1972. The home version of “Pong” marketed under the Sears Tele-Games label. Pong has unique feature like a single chip that produces both an on-screen score and the sound.
- 1977 (Atari 2600 VCS) – Stella is a project from Atari that can play multiple games. The company realized that single games popularity cannot last. After Bushnell sells Atari to Warner communication, the project is forwarded by releasing Atari 2600 VCS. It has various games, like: Breakout, Space Invaders, Missile Command and Combat.
- 1980 (Intellivision) – It has better graphics than the Atari 2600 and the pioneer of synthesized voices in video games.
- 1985 (Nintendo Entertainment system = NES) – Mario Bros is the popular franchise from Nintendo. Actually, Nintendo originally is a playing-card company in Japan and then releases the Nintendo Entertainment System. NES becomes the best-selling console in the video games history.
- 1989 (Game Boy) – This product is introduced in 1989 as the first majored handheld game console. It has 8 Bit CPU, including black and white LCD screen. Tetris is the leading games in Game Boy.
- 1990 (Neo Geo) – It has detailed 2-D graphics with high level quality of arcade games for use in a home system. The first launch, it has price about $650.
- 1991 (Super NES) – From this game console we can find the better quality of Super Mario Bross, Metroid and Zelda. Super Nintendo Entertainment System released after getting beaten to the 16-bit punch by Sega Genesis.
- 1995 (Playstation) – Sonny released the most popular console of the 32-bit era of video games with CD Room technology. It’s a big change from 2-D games that dominated the 16-bit to 3-D. The popular franchise, include Takken, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, etc.
- 1996 (Nintendo 64) – This game console has 64 cartridges load much more than CD-ROOM games. With the popular title like: Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda.
- 2000 (Playstation 2) – It’s the first time Sony releases 128-bit system. Playstation 2 has function as DVD player. Playstation 2 becomes the most popular console of 128-bit era.
- 2001 (XBOX), 2002 (Game Boy advance), 2004 (Nintendo DS), 2005 (Playstation portable), the next game console is Playstation 3.
Brown Box and Magnavox Odyssey
Pong and Atari 2600 VCS
Intellivision and Nintendo Entertainment system
Game Boy and Neo Geo
Playstation and XBOX
Playstation3, the third generation
A little about Tetris and Pacman
I think we all know very well about Tetris and pac-man.Tetris is kind of tile puzzle game. The game originally designed by Alexey Pajitnov in Soviet Union. Tetris released for the first time on June 6, 1984. Tetris word came from tetra (the pieces of the games contain four segments) and tennis, Alexey Pajitnov’s favorite sport. How about Pac-man? Pac-man is an arcade game. The game developed by Namco. The first Pac-man released in Japan on May 22, 1980. But, Pac-man licensed for United States distributed by Midway, in October 1980. Both of these games so simple and easy to play it.
The world’s largest video game
Have you ever heard about the largest video game? And what do you think of it? From this hub, I’ll share about the video in astonishing scale. The residents of São Paulo (Brazil) have chances playing the world's largest video game, measuring a whopping 3,000 square metres (32,292 square feet) video game screen. Wow….a big screen on the side of an office building, on the central Paulista Avenue, São Paulo. This building turned into a ridiculously enormous monitor for a game of Tetris and on old throw backs like Pac-Man.
The São Paulo resident are invited to use an iPad as a control piece to play games and projected onto the sides of entire buildings. Another game is "Paulista Invaders", the game is based on the popular Space Invaders game. From the video we can see a bicyclist has to shoot cars, for some reason. One of gamers said that the game is weird and a lot of pressure. But he said that it is really cool indeed. Everyone on the street is only watching and cheering. But they really entertained because of this game. Personally, I think this is the largest of screen installation I’ve ever know.
Actually this game launched on March 25 and extended until April 14 has a title, “Play”. The digital artists behind this game wanted to showcase video game art of the 70s and 80s as well. They want the São Paulo people take a rest for a while from their busy lives. And I hope all of you take a break for a while and read this hub.