- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
Best Wild West Video Games of All Time
Gun Slinging Fun!
Video Game Review
Red Dead Redemption on Amazon
Ten Classic Western Video Games
There are many Wild West video games but, the ten listed below stand out for many reasons especially game play, graphics, sound and the story line.
1. Call of Juarez (2006) This game was made for Windows and for the Xbox 360 in 2006 and 2007. It is a single player first person western style shooter. Their have been four total games based on this game and it has a very deep story line and plot filled with twists. It also has a wild west cast of characters that you must deal with. Wild West, six shooter style! Six shooters and rifles are in use as well as a shotgun and fist fights can happen at the drop of a hat. The video game developer is Polish.
2. Dead Man's Hand (2004) This first person shooter was published for Xbox and Windows in 2004. Although it is a western without a doubt your character will play poker in between gun fights to gain health and cash. Also, the game has four weapons which are: A rifle, shotgun, knife and six shooter. Some of the items in this Western game are: guns, bombs, horses, and a map for finding gold and other important objects. This game is pretty easy to defeat.
3. Gun Smoke (1985) This game is a vertical scrolling shooter that shows the cowboy named Billy Bob from top view and he can shoot three ways. It has ten levels with ten bosses and each level has wanted criminals you must execute. This game came out in 1985 and was released at the arcade and then for the Nintendo. This game features stage coaches and saloons to go along with the wild west atmosphere. Gun smoke was the first video game to really catch the gaming generation's imagination as far as the Wild West goes. This is the very first western game that I ever owned. It was on the original Nintendo game system. We spent many hours playing this game.
4. Red Dead Revolver (2004) The cut scenes are grainy on purpose and look like a spaghetti Western. It was produced for the PS2 and the Xbox and it has had a few sequels already. The game actually has a thick plot but, gun slinging quick draws is how you take out the worst of the worst. Bank robberies and show downs at dawn are a constant theme of this game.
5. Sunset Riders (1991) This western side scrolling shooter was made for the Arcade, Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis in 1993. You will have unlimited ammo and he is a bounty hunter. This is a one or two player game that has 8 levels with a boss at the end of each. You have to take criminals in to custody or kill them to get paid. If you capture them alive you will have a better bank account. Money allows you to get nicer weaponry.
6. Mad Dog McCree (1990) This game was an Arcade, 3DO, PS3 and Wii game that used full motion video throughout. This game is played in the first person point of view and the showdowns are the focal point of this quick draw western. There was also a Sega CD version and a sequel as well. Although the game has blurs in it at times, the game was very realistic and the showdowns felt like they were actually happening.
7. Red Dead Redemption (2010) Rockstar games put this game out their that has a sequel. It was published for the PS3 and the Xbox 360. You ride a horse at times and also kill and skin animals so you can eat the flesh and wear the hide for survival.
8. Custer's Revenge (1982) This game was made only for the Atari 2600 and it was a one player game. The game is very controversial but the sound, game play and graphics for it's time were astounding. Although Cannon balls and arrows are prominent in this early video game, guns and knives are used as well to fight battles.
9. Law of the West (1985) The player assumes the role of a small western town Sheriff and it was produced for Nintendo, Apple 2 and Commodore 64. The game has fist fights as well as gun fights along with interaction with the townspeople. I would call this a first person shooter to a large degree with only the arms and weapons showing clearly.
10. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (2005) EA made this game for the Xbox, PS3 and Vita. Your character is an outlaw and he collects bounties for shooting criminals dead in the street. The game is third person except when using the crossbow. At that point you get a first person perspective that is still amazing looking today. This game is rated M for extreme violence, mostly.
* Please share your favorite Old West video game with me in the comments box located at the bottom of this page.
Call of Juarez
Which is Your Choice?
Which is your favorite Western video game?
Gun Smoke Gameplay
Great Atari Gaming Systems
Video Game Hubs!
- Best Atari 2600 Video Games of All Time
This article documents the top Atari 2600 video games ever. Frogger, Pitfall, Demon Attack, Pacman and Donkey Kong are listed in this hub along with facts and other information.
- Best Intellivision Video Games of All Time
The Intellivision video game console came out in 1977 and it has hosted plenty of great games. Q Bert, Auto Racing, Frogger, Dig Dug and Demon Attack are featured in this article. Also, pictures, maps, polls, you tube videos and commentary are listed
- Best Playstation 2 Games of All Time
This article documents the Playstation 2 and it's top games. Grand Theft Auto, resident Evil, Madden Football,, Syphon Filter and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater are featured in this classic video game hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos and commentary are
- Best World War 1 Video Games of All Time
- Best Computer Video Games of All Time
This article is about the best computer video Games ever. Phantasmagoria, The Sims, Resident Evil and World of WarCraft are listed in this classic computer games hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls, a quiz and commentary.
- Best World War 2 Video Games of All Time
This Video game article documents the top WW2 games ever made. Pictures, videos and commentary are featured in this hub about Call of Duty, Wolfenstein 3D, Sniper Elite and many other war games.
- Best Vietnam War Video Games of All Time
This video gaming hub features Vietnam War games such as Call of Duty: Black Ops, Tunnel Rats and Men of Valor. Pictures, videos and commentary are listed in this article.
Red Dead Redemption Trailer
Which Game Console?
view quiz statistics
Call of Juarez Review
© 2013 Buster Johnson