How to Make Gold with Jewelcrafting in WoW: Mists of Pandaria
Become a Jewelcrafting Expert
So you picked the jewelcrafting profession and now you're wondering how to excel. You've come to the right place. This guide will show you how to become a jewelcrafting expert. Before we get started, here is a short checklist:
- The first thing you need to do is get your jewelcrafting (JC) skill points to max level as this guide is addressed only to max-level jewelcrafters.
- Next on the list is getting as many gem recipes as you can. In Mists of Pandaria, you'll get recipes by doing the Gem Researches. You can only do one Gem Research every 24 hours if you are using gems.
- You can do unlimited Researches with "Secrets of the Stone" which uses three Spirits of Harmony. I never used my Spirits for JC as I had more use for them on Leatherworking, but if JC is your only profession then by all means use them and get those recipes faster.
- You'll need the "LilSparky's Workshop" add-on and the "Auctionator" add-on, which will help you see what's gonna make you some profit.
If you decided to take Jewelcrafting as a profession, you already know most of your gold will be made by cutting gems. After you discover most of the recipes, you can do a quick scan of the auction house with "Auctionator" and then Lil'Sparky will show you if the mats cost less than the final product. As you can see in the photo below, Lil'Sparky will display the mats price in the right column and the final product price in the left column. With the help of this great add-on you can start making more profit by knowing which gems to cut.
Tips for Making Profit:
Crafting meta gems: As you level up during Pandaria, you'll get meta gem recipes. These might be good sellers as long as you make the PvE (player vs. environment) oriented gems such as "Burning" or "Agile." PvE oriented gems sell much faster than other types because PvE gear is changed more frequently.
Protip: I find the best time to sell these is on Wednesday and Friday evenings, as raiders tend to raid on these days.
Prospecting: If you want to make serious profit, you'll need to do some work for it. The work I'm referring to is "Prospecting." Based on your server's economy,
- Buy cheap Ghost Iron Ore and Kyparite.
- Prospect them.
Simple as that. The cheap price for a stick of Ghost Iron Ore on Argent Dawn is 55-65 gold, which gets me an almost double profit overall. If you're low on gold and can't afford to buy the Ores to get you started, then get Mining! Put on your farmer hat and start diggin' for riches.
Turning Prospecting into Funds
If you decided to Prospect, and I really hope you did, the next step is to turn those gems you just got into profit.
- The first thing you have to do after Prospecting is turn the "Sparkling Shard" into "Serpent's Eye". With the gems you just Prospected, you can either make cut gems or craft some rings/necklaces.
- Scan the auction house (with Auctionator) and open up the JC tab. If you got LilSparky's Workshop, then you'll be able to calculate easily what holds more profit: making blue necklaces/rings or cutting the gems.
Turning gems into enchanting materials: Now that you have a use for each and every single one of your rare quality gems, we'll move on to the common quality ones. This part is profitable only if you have an enchanter alt or an enchanter friend/guild mate.
- With enchanting, you can make the green necklace and ring and have it disenchanted.
- Again, to check if this is profitable for you, use LilSparky to check the disenchanting value.
- As a small warning, don't get fooled by the mats price. This is not always accurate. As you can see in the below photo, auctionator scanned a 'Jeweler's Setting' at 20g even though you can buy them from the vendor at 1g/piece.
With that said, you can transform your green gems into enchanting materials. It takes some time and effort, but if the gold starts flowing, that's all that matters, right?
If you have over 30k gold and your "Order of the Cloud Serpents" reputation is up to at least honored, you can start making some of the mounts they have to offer (Jade, Ruby, Sapphire, or Sunstone Panthers).
The vendor mats cost 20k (Orb of Mystery) + 3-6k for the other mats depending on the type of mount and your server's economy. These are good to make if you don't have time to play for 24-48 hours since you can just post it on the AH and hope for the best. I sold a Ruby Panther for a 5k profit less than 36 hours after the time I crafted it.
Lastly, some other small money-makers are the pets that you can get in Pandaria. I got a recipe from the Golden Lotus dailies (the chest at the daily end quest). Unfortunately, they require three Spirits of Harmony. I'd keep making pets as a backup to use if you already have all the recipes or you don't have a better use for the Spirits.
More WoW Guides:
- WoW Dungeon Farming Guide: Zul'Gurub
Learn how to make nearly 1000 gold in just 8 minutes by farming Zul'Gurub.
- WoW Dungeon Farming Guide : Halls of Lightning
Farming Halls of Lightning for gold, what drops to expect and a break down on how much gold you can make per run.
- How to Get Exalted with The Argent Dawn
Learn how you can get your reputation up to Exalted with The Argent Dawn faction in World of Warcraft.
- WoW Dungeon Farming Guide: The Botanica
Find out how you can make 5-10k gold per hour by farming The Botanica in World of Warcraft.