- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Toys for Kids
Zhu Zhu Pets Hamsters & Accessories (Shushu Pets)
ZhuZhu Pets - Hamsters Without the Mess!
Zhu Zhu Pets hamsters, a product of Cepia, LLC, are the latest toy craze to hit the markets. Electronic pets have gained popularity since the Tamagotchi first hit store shelves in 1996. It's easy to see the appeal for parents: they don't require the kind of responsibility that is attached to a live animal, and they can easily be confiscated for bad behavior, or switched off completely. Webkinz are a popular virtual pet, but for parents who prefer a more interactive, offline experience for their children, ZhuZhu Pets are becoming a popular option.
What Are Zhu-Zhu Pets?
In a nutshell, Zhu Zhu Pets (sometimes misspelled "zu zu pets" and pronounced more like "shu shu pets") are small electronic hamsters that can recognize and interact with their accessories. They have two modes: the Loving Mode and the Explore Mode. Loving Mode is activated by pressing the hamster's head, and allows your child to pet and cuddle with the toy, which will respond with purring and cooing noises, before "going to sleep" (or automatically switching off after a period of time). Explore Mode, which is turned on by pressing on the hamster's back, will cause the Zhu Zhu Pet to interact with its environment. It recognizes signals from Zhu Zhu accessories, and behaves accordingly.
There are four Zhu Zhu hamsters, and each has its own unique personality:
- Chunk is the white hamster. He is the surfer of the bunch, laid-back and relaxed. He loves the surfboard accessory, and adores hugs and pets.
- Pipsqueak is the yellow hamster. She is energetic and active, always ready to play or explore a new environment.
- Squiggles, the brown hamster, is a little bit fussy, but he loves to go, go, go!
- NumNums is the gray hamster. She is always hungry, and an expert at tracking down food.
Zhu Zhu Pets Accessories
There are several accessories currently available for your Zhu Zhu Pet hamster. You can mix and match them countless ways to create new exciting environments for endless fun. Some of these accessories are classics inspired by live hamsters, while some are inspired by human activities.
- Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Funhouse is a colorful circular room with tunnels coming off of it at different angles. You can buy multiple funhouses in different colors and connect them together to make an entire hamster colony!
- Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Wheel is an example of a live hamster toy reinvented for your Zhu Zhu Pet. The hamster will go up the ramp and run on the wheel.
- Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Ball is another classic. Place your hamster inside and watch him or her explore the environment.
- Zhu Zhu Pets Ramp is a steep ramp for your hamster to climb, then slide down the spiral slide.
- Zhu Zhu Pets Surfboard And Sleep Dome come together. Your hamster will surf around on the board, then relax inside the sleep dome.
- Zhu Zhu Pets Skateboard And Ramp allows your ZhuZhu Pet to skateboard around and grind on the ramp, just like a pro!
- Zhu Zhu Pets Car And Garage will prompt your hamster to run through the garage, into the car, and go for a little drive.
- Zhu Zhu Pets Carriers are a convenient way to bring your pet along for a trip, or over to a friend's house for a playdate.
- Zhu Zhu Pets Beds are a cozy place to sleep when both kid and toy are tuckered out.
Things to Know Before You Buy
On the purchasing side of things: Each Zhu Zhu Pet hamster (also sometimes called Go-Go Pets) require two AAA batteries to operate. You can buy hamsters individually, or in packs of more than one. They are available for purchase online, and at stores like Walmart and ToysRUs, and prices vary. All accessories and habitats are sold separately.
On the playing side of things: Zhu Zhu Pets do need interaction from your children. They sometimes get stuck in a certain spot, for example, on the hamster wheel or in a funhouse, and will need a little help along. If you're expecting something that will entertain in a passive way, the way a video does, this is not what you're looking for. If you want to encourage your child to engage with a toy, or test out his or her abilities to care for (and not tire of!) a real pet, this might be the gift you're looking for!