Best Zombie Indie Games
What are Indie Games, Anyway?
What exactly is an indie game anyway? The term "indie" refers to the small, independent video games made by passionate little companies who don't have huge budgets. They're the counterpart to AAA titles. So for example, Project Zomboid is an indie zombie game; Left 4 Dead is a AAA zombie game. Minecraft is probably the most famous and popular indie game.
I Made a Game With Zombies In It Theme Song
I Made a Game with Zombies in It! (XBLA)
Also known as "I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!!1", this is a stylized action shooter on Xbox 360 which won many indie game awards. Made by James Silva alone, it's actually the best-selling Xbox Live Indie Game ever, with over 300,000 copies sold.
Features of I Made a Game With Zombies In It:
- Four heroes to fight zombies with
- Makes creative use of both analog sticks on the Xbox controller
- Many power ups
- Original musical score sung by Silva himself
- 4 player co-op
- Lots of humor, including internet references
Release Date: 2009
Developer: Ska Studios
Free to Play: No (80 Microsoft points/$1)
Trapped Dead (PC)
Another zombie RTS, this one's a 3rd-person view which takes place in a more horror-based world. You won't find any humor here, as the focus is on truly being scared.
Features of Trapped Dead:
- Strategy-rewarded gameplay allows ingenuity
- Various jumpscares!
- Frightening and gory ambience
- Tons of weapons, devices, and power-ups
- Seven playable characters
- Multiplayer co-op play
- Ever-changing world with many traps
Release Date: Out Now
Free to Play: No ($9.99)
Survivor Zero (PC, Mac)
Survivor Zero's different because it's a first-person experience. Set in the zombie post-apocalypse (of course), you focus more on using your wits and survival skills to stay alive on a planet overrun by zombies.
Features of Survivor Zero:
- Focus on finding food and drink to satisfy your character's needs
- Nonlinear open-world
- Co-op for up to four people
- Each city can be fully explored
- Realistic zombie physics and movements
Release Date: None Yet
Platform: PC, Mac
Free to Play: Unknown
Project Zomboid (Browser)
One of the most popular and highly-anticipated zombie indie games is Project Zomboid. This game's coming out soon, and it's a zombie survival RPG made by the small studio known as Indie Stone.
Here are the game's highlights:
- multiplayer is co-operative and pvp
- indie art direction with a 3/4 top-down view...and zombie entrails decorating every level
- Gigantic open-world with tons of items to customize your character
- Befriend other humans and cooperate to battle the undead -- or attack them and steal their items
- Nonlinear sandbox gameplay in which you just have to stay alive as long as possible
- Should you contract the disease and turn into a zombie, you have the chance to make decisions about where to go from there, like killing your friends
- Steal, discover, or repair items to make supplies and stay alive. The complex item-combination system allows you to create new armaments and boobytraps
- Besides avoiding zombie bites, your character has to battle various status effects like depression and insanity.
- Use first-aid and food for health, guns and other weapons to destroying zombies, and miscellaneous items like beer to calm your character
- Ever-changing gameworld: the electricity might get shut off, sending a big city into delumination. Then you'd need to find and hoard stuff like generators or batteries for your flashlight. Plus, random events like zombie sweeps by government agencies will occur and give you some short relief
Platforms: Project Zomboid is a browser game so it can be played on any PC or Mac
Available: Currently in Alpha and available for $5 with future updates
Developer: Indie Stone
Alien Hallway (PC)
Do you have the guts to save all of humanity? This RTS allows you to control huge battalions to fight off invasions.
Features of Alien Hallway:
- Fight through beautiful 3d environments
- Use superweapons, airstrikes, and the ability to upgrade your stuff
- Creative grenade system
Developer: Sigma Team
Free to play: No
Dead State (PC)
Dead State is another new sandbox RPG survival game with some serious and different ambitions.
Features of Dead State:
- Instead of real-time action, this one is turn-based strategy. Interesting control of your team.
- Awesome noise engine allows zombies to track their food (that's you) by the sounds they hear
- Manage resources inside of your shelters and delegate tasks to accomplish more before nightfall
- Killer AI for both the zombies and also your party mates: smart enemies, smarter allies
- Line-of-sight focus makes for some surprising and scary encounters
- "Reative" character artificial intelligence: Your teammates do realistic things in combat, and human enemies will think a bit before they act. Meanwhile, zombies drone on like the undead beasts they are.
- No game is the same: Big, navigable gameworld with a story that's made by your choices. Each time you play, you'll run into new enemies or dilemmas to solve.
- Deep plot and characters: Brian Mitsoda of Vampire: The Masquerade fame wrote the storyline, complete with challenging horror elements and dialogue
- Moral dilemmas force players to choose between doing the humanitarian thing and doing what they need to to stay alive
Release Date: Not Yet
Developer: Double Bear Productions
Free to Play: Unknown
Dead Meets Lead (PC)
Dead Meets Lead is a 3D, third-person, zombie-themed dungeon crawl. A true indie zombie game, this one's made by a small but dedicated team, Keldyn Interactive, which embodies the bootstrapping work ethic of an independent game studio.
Features of Dead Meets Lead:
- The game's "Rage" system which rewards you for keeping a frenetic pace and killing more zombies in shorter time periods
- 16 maps with varying locales: the marsh, the beach, small towns, and jungles
- Many different enemies; it's more than just zombies, there are zombified animals and even boss undead creatures, plus black magic turned monsters
- Lots of achievements to unlock that keep the game's replay value high
- Multiple weapons: some melee (swords) and some ranged (shotguns)
Released: Available now
Developer: Keldyn Interactive
Free to play: No
Zombie Shooter 2 (PC)
Zombie Shooter 2 combines two hardcore themes, RPG and run-and-gun.
Features of Zombie Shooter 2:
- Deep character customization
- Develop skills in your own way
- Earn currency to buy weapons, medical supplies, and gadgets
- Over 60 weapons
- Vehicular combat
Developer: Sigma Team
Release Date: Available now
Website: http://www.sigma-team.net/games/action/zombie-shooter-2.html (also available on Steam)
Free to play: No
Safe Zone (PC)
Combine a pioneer-survival genre (think Oregon Trail) with zombie themes and you get Safe Zone. Your character has to stab westward through the zombie-infested United States to reach the promised land in California.
Features of Safe Zone:
- overhead view with full exploration when searching for other humans, weapons, and supplies, but switches to a 2d sidescrolling tower-defense scenario during zombie attacks
- Random events as you travel
- Unarmed combat against bandits
- Minigame challenges for stuff like navigating car accidents, disarming boobytraps, stealing cars, or picking locks
- Stealth segments
- Unique morale system influences your team's success
Release date: Not yet announced
Developer: Blind Eye Games
Stop the Planet, I Want to Get Off! (PC)
A true early-phase indie game, Stop the Planet is an adventure RPG which is using Kickstarter to fund the rest of its development. The game is currently about 7 months deep into coding and now needs some money to hire more talent.
Features of Stop the Planet, I Want to Get Off:
- Play with a friend in local co-op against zombie, aliens, and other people
- Multiple scenario choices which include resolving moral dilemmas in your own way and choose the fate of NPCs
- Blueprint system allows you to create weapons and gadgets
- Terraria-inspired resource harvesting
- Player choices shape the way the world develops
- Zombies gradually eat the very world itself, slowly moving closer to your home base; after a part of the map is eaten, it's gone forever -- unless you reclaim it by killing enough zombies
- Kickstarter pledges include the ability to be a character in the game, and also to design your own weapon
Developer: Eldon & Debora
Release: In Development
The Dead Linger (PC, Mac)
So let's break away from all the zombie KILLING and talk about avoiding zombies to actually keep your life. That's what The Dead Linger is all about: instead of being a superhero who wields five hundred different weapons and has a million skills, you have to do everything you can to stay alive.
Features of The Dead Linger
- Use literally anything in the game to your advantage: items, objects, machines can become weapons or shields
- Kill zombies or avoid them; your choice shapes your storyline
- Endless game world that keeps growing
- Multiplayer co-op, and a vintage throwback to the survival horror concept
- Get through the apocalypse and make the world what you want of it
Release Date: 2013
Free to Play: No
Platform: PC, Mac
Corril Slayer: The Walking Evil Dead (PC)
Corril slayer is sort of a tongue-in-cheek parody of various horror tropes, as the main character, Sam Asherton, has to trek through deadly landscapes to battle famous monsters of the internet.
Features of Corril Slayer:
- Contains many references to various horror flicks, notably Evil Dead and The Walking Dead, and the works of George Romero (Night of the Living Dead)
- Classic "metroidvania" type platform-adventure in the style of Castlevania, complete with 8-bit 2d pixel art
- Awesome soundtrack by Midnight Syndicate
- Switch between the real world and the ghost world to uncover clues and items
- Nostalgic retro art and gameplay
- Features Slenderman as a boss
Free to play: No ($2.99)
Release: Available Now
Multiplayer Zombie Indie Games
Indie news site Oh No More Games has put together a list of Multiplayer Zombie Indie Games that'll be updated to hopefully include new games as they're released. Check it out!