- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
Activities to Alleviate Boredom After an Injury, Illness, or Surgery
Boredom busting activities for while you are recuperating from surgery or sickness
Recuperating from a surgery is boring and no fun, but these activities should help you keep your mind occupied while your body heals from your surgery so you can avoid post-surgery boredom.
Boredom after a surgery or illness is very common, and can cause people to feel depressed. These boredom busting activities should help you keep your spirits up and recuperate easier. With a positive attitude and engaged mind, you will start feeling better faster after your surgery.
Hopefully you can use some of these ideas to keep from getting bored and make the time pass quickly and enjoy yourself until you are back on your feet, or maybe even cross some things off of that things you need to get around to sometime list.
Photo: Bored by Scragz
Beating Post-Surgery Boredom on the Computer
9 Boredom Busting Computer Activities for When You are Bored After a Surgery
1. SURF THE INTERNET: Find a new blog and read it. Read all of it. You have plenty of time. If you are bored, try a website like Reddit that constantly has new content.
2. PINTEREST: Pinterest is an online bulletin board website where people share ideas about crafts, hobbies, recipes, tips, working out, travel, holiday ideas and other inspiration. You can get sucked in for hours, coming up with ideas for what you will do after you feel better from your surgery, from learning new smoothie recipes to new home improvement ideas. Before you know it you won't be bored, and several hours will have passed without you even noticing.
3. CATCH UP ON YOUR EMAILS: Wade through all the old emails that you meant to respond to....eventually. Check in with old friends that you don't get a chance to keep up with regularly, see if you can make a new pen pal, and don't forget to email a thank you note to anyone who may be helping you out while you recover such as friends and family members or doctors and nurses. Is there a political issue you care a lot about? Email your senator and let them know how you feel.
4. YOUTUBE: I'm sure that YouTube is nothing new to you, but it certainly deserves a mention as a way to kill time when you are bored! There are tutorial videos about anything you could imagine, learn how to do a new hair style, grow pineapples, or improve your swimming technique. You can also help stave off after surgery depression with funny videos and music videos.
5. MAKE A VIDEO: When you get tired of watching videos on YouTube, make your own. It is easier than you think, and there are numerous resources online to show you how. Record your pets or children doing funny things, and edit the footage on your computer to make a video.
6. MAKE A BLOG: Is there something that you are really interested in, and would love to share? Then starting your own blog is a great way to share your passion. You can start a basic blog on blogging sites such as blogger, or if you want a bigger project, buy your own domain name and get set up with a Wordpress template. It's a good way to pass the time, feel mentally stimulated, and a successful blog can even sell advertising to help you make money.
7. WRITE ARTICLES ONLINE FOR MONEY: If starting your own blog seems overwhelming, make your own Squidoo lens, or sign up for another writing platform. It is a fun way to spend a few hours, and it is rewarding to see something that you worked hard on published online. If you write a popular article, you can even earn some money.
8. PLAN A VACATION: Even if it is just your dream vacation. Research the location, activities to do there, pick out an awesome hotel, restaurants, and how you would get around. Research the cost of airfare and the best flights to take. Who knows, maybe some day you will be able to go, and you might as well be prepared.
9. UPDATE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHS: If you are bored, try to organize your photographs online on sites like Facebook or Flickr, or make sure they are in order on your computer. Identify who is in the photographs and where and when they were taken so that you will remember later.
Learn a new skill while you recuperate!
Learn new skills and keep your mind sharp. You will be so busy and engrossed in what you are doing that you won't have any time to be bored. Amazon will deliver them right to your home, so you don't even have to leave the house.
Learn how to knit while you are stuck at home. It is a great opportunity to keep your mind sharp and prevent boredom while you are getting better.
Get all of the supplies you need to learn how to knit delivered to your door so you do not have to leave the house while you are recuperating.
Always wanted to know how to draw, but never had the patience for it?
Have you been telling yourself that watching Telemundo while you are sick in bed is going to teach you Spanish? Well how about you supplement that with an interactive computer program.
Learning card tricks is a great way for children to pass the time and keep their mind occupied while recovering from surgery. Don't write it off as just for children though, knowing a card trick or two is always a fun way to liven up a party!
Learn a new skill or hobby!
5 boredom busting fun hobbies that you can do sitting down while recovering
1. KNITTING AND CROCHET: If you are feeling well enough to sit up and use your arms, recuperating from surgery is an excellent chance to learn a skill like knitting. While ordinarily you might not have the patience to sit still long enough to learn, now you are trapped so you might as well. You can use the time to make yourself a scarf, or learn how to make a baby blanket if someone is expecting. Your sense of accomplishment from completing a handmade project will help raise your spirits.
2. LEARN TO DRAW: Many people wish they were better at drawing, but do not have the time to devote to learning how. The best thing about drawing as a hobby is that it does not require many supplies, a pad of paper and a pencil and you are set.
3. LEARN A LANGUAGE: Learning a new language is great for your brain, your career, and can help you communicate with more people. With all of these benefits, don't you think it's time that you brushed up on your high school Spanish? Or learned a new language entirely? If you do well learning the language, perhaps you should reward yourself with a trip to a country that speaks that language to look forward to when you are feeling better. Why not Portuguese? Italian? German? Russian? Arabic? The opportunities are seemingly endless, and don't forget to learn about their culture and cuisine as well.
4. LEARN KNOT TYING: Maybe you learned how to do knots as a child in scouting, but it has been a while. Learning new knots is practical, and a fun way to impress your friends.
5. LEARN CARD TRICKS: Card tricks are often deceptively simple, and once you get the hang of one or two, you will really be able to take off. It is a fun way to entertain children, or make your friends fear you on poker night. If it doesn't work out you can at least build a card house or get in a game or two of solitaire.
Television shows to watch while you are getting better! - Fight off after surgery boredom and depression with these fun shows!
If you are going to be recuperating for a long time, you will quickly tire of everything that comes on cable. I suggest getting full seasons of television shows, so you can be entertained for hours. I tried to select shows with lots of seasons so that you can pass more time, and shows that are available on Amazon so that you can order them online, and just download them to your computer without having to leave your home and go to a store.
This is a dark show with a lot of violence. I would not recommend this if you have young children who would wander into the room. The show is well written and the characters are fantastic. The story line is very complicated, which will keep hooked for hours and hours of entertainment.
A lighthearted comedy about office dynamics. I recommend this show to people all the time, but in particular I think it is good for someone who isn't feeling well because it will cheer you up. The characters are simple and funny, so if you are a little zonked because of your surgery you will still be able to follow along just fine.
This is a well done period piece which made me really take the genre more seriously. It has plenty of drama and intrigue to keep you hooked for a long time. If you are not feeling well enough for a complicated story, you will still enjoy the show for the gorgeous costumes and scenery. Unfortunately there are not as many seasons available of this show as there are for some of the others.
Weeds starts of as a lighthearted comedy making fun of the plight of upper middle class suburban life, but in later seasons transitions into a darker comedy with a stronger political message. It is funny and well done, and has many seasons available. The show is funny, and most episodes end with a cliffhanger so you will realize that you watched many more episodes than you intended. The is obviously a lot of drug use, and some violence, in the show so keep that in mind if you have children in your house.
Learn New Things!
5 ways to learn new things to keep from being bored after surgery
1. iTUNESU: Check out some podcasts of university lectures, there are tons available on virtually every subject imaginable. I find the ones on humanities and politics the most approachable.
2. ONLINE COURSEWORK: You can sign up for a correspondence class, or work through an open courseware class. Brush up on your math, learn more about finance, or learn some computer programing.
3. EXPAND YOUR VOCABULARY: There are lots of websites with games to help you learn new vocabulary words. Freerice.com donates rice based on the amount people play, and other sites are designed to help you learn vocabulary words for standardized tests such as the LSAT or GRE
4. LEARN GEOGRAPHY: Having a good understanding of geography is helpful for business and makes people appear more worldly. You can get a good start by playing games online on sites such as sporcle.com, you can practice your states and capitals, countries in Africa, or major rivers of the world.
5. ART HISTORY: If you can't tell the difference between a Monet and a Manet, this might be the project for you. Learn about the great masters and their influential works, and you will be sure to impress your friends and family!
Check things off your reading list! - Fight off after surgery boredom and get things done at the same time
What better time to make some progress on your reading list than when you are laid up after a surgery? You can order the books on Amazon to have them delivered to your home so you do not have to drive anywhere, or find them on Audible and listen to them as a book on tape while you are resting.
These books are engrossing, and will make you feel like you accomplished something while you were recovering from your surgery. Check out what types of books you might be interested in. I hand picked books that will either help you with your career, or have a better understanding of history and world event.
An explanation of why we do the things that we do, how habits are formed in our brains, and how we can utilize this information. The stories he uses as examples are interesting, and there is a lot of information about how to apply this to business and marketing. It reminded me a lot of Malcom Gladwell books, and you may find it useful for self improvement.
If you ever find yourself pondering why we have salt and pepper on the table instead of cinnamon and oregano, this is the book for you. It is an interesting walk through of all of the little things in your home that you always took for granted. It is not an action packed adventure story, but the anecdotes are engaging and you will find yourself wrapped up in the story.
A complete story of the history of New York City, which is long enough to keep you entertained for a long time. It follows a handful of fictional families through real historical evens with short vignettes as you travel through the generations. If you enjoy historical fiction, you will enjoy this book.
An engrossing and heart wrenching story of a boy from Darfur. It is well written and will certainly take your mind off of whatever medical problems you are facing.
A heartwarming story about a World War Two airman who is shot down in the Pacific. From the same author as Seabiscut, this story covers the life of an amazing hero.
MAKE A FAMILY KEEPSAKE
6 activities to take care of your family while they are taking care of you.
1. SCRAPBOOKING: Make a nice scrapbook out of family photos. If you don't feel well enough to do it by hand, or lack the patience, make a digital scrapbook on the computer that can be emailed out to your family. If you have family members that live far away, they will be especially grateful to receive this.
2. FAMILY TREE: You have probably always wondered about your ancestry, or heard stories about family members that you don'r remember all of the details about. Using online tools like ancestry.com, you can easily compile a family tree without leaving your bed.
3. RECIPES: Take this opportunity to compile a family recipe book that you can share with your children or extended family. Either put the recipes in a fancy book like a scrapbook, or compile them online to share digitally. This way you wont have to worry about family recipes that have been passed down being lost.
4. STORIES: Write down all of the family stories that you remember. Stories about trips with your parents and grandparents, or funny stories about your children while they are young. In time your grandchildren will love being able to have stories about their parents when they were children.
5. ESTATE PLANNING: Make sure your will is up to date, and you have taken care of all of your estate planning needs. If your will says, "In the event that we have children" and your youngest child just graduated from college, it might be time for an update. If you are on strong pain medicine though, this might be one to skip.
6. CHRISTMAS SHOPPING: It might be six months until Christmas, but now is as good of a time as any to come up with what you want to buy your loved ones for Christmas presents. Browse sites like Amazon, or the company websites for your favorite stores and select what items you want to pick out for your family. By the time Christmas actually comes around, you will be grateful to have one less task during a stressful season. Don't forget, you can start addressing your Christmas cards early too!
Video of Father and Daughter cover of Home by Magnetic Zeros - A cute video to cheer you up if you are bored after a sugery!
This video is sure to make you smile! It is a father singing with his young daughter. They also were on the TV show called America's Got Talent, and the girl was adorable. So much confidence and personality in such a little girl!
Cute Video of a Kitten - A cute video to cheer you up if you are bored after a sugery!
Here is a saccharine sweet video of a fluffy kitten exploring its home. I have no idea what the writing says, but the cuteness transcends language barriers. I hope this video makes you feel better!
You might also like... - Electronically Preserving Family Photographs
- Electronically Preserving Family Photographs
Learn how to electronically preserve your family photographs from film negatives and slides.
Have a suggestion you don't see here? Please share it in the comments.