M. T. Dremer profile image 95

How can Valve make a sequel to DotA if they didn't make the first one?

I've never played Defense of the Ancients (DotA) but apparently it was popular enough to warrant a sequel. But, after reading up on it, I found out the first game was a modification to Warcraft 3, a game made by Blizzard Entertainment. Yet now, DotA 2 is being made by Valve, a completely different company than Blizzard. So my question is; how can they do this? Since it's a mod, I don't think Blizzard has a claim to it, but it seems like they would have more rights (since it was made with one of their games) than Valve, who had nothing to do with Warcraft 3 or the original DotA mod.

tomsum profile image80

tomsum says

jessek94 profile image59

jessek94 says

Borsia profile image45

Borsia says