The Best "How to Make a Voodoo Doll" Tutorial Ever!
Making Voodoo Dolls
I don't mind that others are attempting to get a slice of the Voodoo pie, but I am concerned that you get accurate information.
For example, one tutorial obviously fashioned after my How To Make a Voodoo Doll instructions at the Mystic Voodoo said to use green moss. This is incorrect if you are interested in making an authentic, New Orleans style Voodoo doll. Green moss is not a good substitute for Spanish moss. Spanish moss is the main ingredient for most New Orleans Voodoo dolls. If you have worked with both types of mosses for any type of craft project in the past, then you know how different they are. What we need is the length, pliability, and ability to wrap a couple of sticks that is only possible with Spanish moss.
But let me back up and start at the beginning. Just how do you make a Voodoo doll?
Well, there are a number of types of Voodoo dolls, and in fact you are limited only by your imagination. Here I will give you clear instructions for how to make a New Orleans style Voodoo doll, as well as a Voodoo poppet.
The Top Five Reasons this is the Coolest Voodoo Doll Lens Ever!
- You get complete instructions.
- You can see photographs of real Voodoo dolls.
- You can learn to make two different kinds of Voodoo dolls.
- Excellent resources included.
- Tutorial by well-known Voodoo conjure artist.
Stump Voodoo Doll - Gran Bwa
How to Make a Basic Voodoo Doll
2 strong sticks
scrap fabric cut in 2 inch strips, 2 to 3 feet long (color of your choice)
yarn that complements or contrasts fabric
string, hemp cord, or waxed thread
2 beads, buttons, or blackeyes peas to use as eyes
needle and thread in a color to match or contrast your fabric
tacky glue7 pins with heads in the following colors: red, blue, green, purple, yellow, black, white
1. Make a cross shape with your two sticks. Tie them together with your string, hemp cord, or waxed thread.
2. Take the Spanish moss and wrap it around the sticks, starting at the middle for reinforcement, and going up around the head, down to one arm, back across to the other arm, back to the middle, and down to the bottom.
3. Take you fabric strips and wrap around the moss. Make sure to leave some of the moss showing, such as on the head (for hair), at the ends of the arms, and at the bottom. Secure with tacky glue. You may want to reinforce with a couple of stitches with your needle and thread.
4. Make a face. Take your beads and attach them with the needle and thread for eyes, or glue 2 black eyed peas to the face for eyes. Add a button or bead for the mouth.
5. This is the fun step where you can dress your Voodoo doll. Take some yarn or contrasting material and wrap it where you want it for accent. Dress your Voodoo doll however you like.
If you wish to personalize your Voodoo doll, add some personal effects to the doll by slipping it under the fabric, or pinning it to the doll. You can even cut out a picture of someone's face and attach it to the doll for it's face, if you are so inclined. I have added a mojo bag to the one pictured. To make a mojo bag, cut out a small square of fabric and place a blackeyed pea in it. Tie it closed and attach to your doll. The yellow fabric is for general success.
That's all there is to it!
Voodoo Doll Books
Symbolism of the 7 pin colors:
yellow - success
white - positive
red - power
purple - spirituality
green - money
blue - love
black - repelling negative energy
How to Make a Basic Voodoo Poppet
The poppet is perhaps the oldest form of Voodoo doll in existence. Poppets have been made in the context of sympathetic magic for thousands of years across cultures. There are numerous ways of making a poppet. This tutorial is concerned with constructing one out of leather or fabric.
This tutorial assumes you know how to sew a basic stitch. I like to use a blanket stitch, but this is just a personal preference.
Here's how to make your own basic Voodoo poppet:
black and white nylon thread or waxed beading thread
regular sewing needle
thin leather or felt
patience & creativity
1. Pick out a pattern and cut it out on card stock.
2. Place your pattern on your piece of leather or felt and pin it to the material with straight pins.
3. Cut out the pattern, leaving about 1/4 inch seam allowance. Repeat so you have 2 sides.
4. Unpin the paper patterns. Cut the leather down the middle of each side (optional).
5. Place the patterns together and sew around the entire edge of the voodoo poppet. On one side of the poppet, sew all the way up the middle.
6. On the other side, starting from the head, sew halfway down. From the bottom, sew halfway up. You should have an opening on one side of the doll where you will put the stuffing. You can leave the feet and arms open if you want. I sewed the hands on mine, and left the feet open.
7. Take the Spanish moss and stuff your Voodoo poppet with it. If you want, you can turn the pattern inside out first. This is entirely optional and depends on how you want your poppet to look. You can also take this opportunity to place any personal effects, papers, or petitions inside the poppet.
8. Sew the opening closed and tie the feet closed with the hemp cord. If you left the hands open, now is the time to tie them closed also. It looks cool to leave a little Spanish moss coming out of the feet and hands.
8. Decide which side you want to use as the front and sew the two buttons on for eyes. Add a mouth if you want.
And there you have it - a basic Voodoo poppet!
You can even take it a step further and dress it for a specific purpose.
Lucky Voodoo Charm Poppet for Gambling
Carnival Voodoo Doll
Louisiana Broom Voodoo Doll
Great Voodoo Dolls - Vote for your favorite. Or, add what's missing!
REVENGE IS SWEET, SATISFACTION IS VERY SATISFYING! TIRED OF FOLKS MAKING YOU TURN THE OTHER CHEEK? DOES SOMEONE FLASH A SNEAKY SLY QUIET HA-HA SMILE EVERYTIME THEY SEE YOUR BAD LUCK?
EVER FEEL LIKE YOU AREN'T IN CONTROL AND THAT YOUR A MURPHY'S LAW POSTER CHILD? WONDER WHY YOUR HAVING THE WORST DAY OR TIME IN YOUR LIFE - EVERYDAY? EVER FEEL MANIPULATED?
MAYBE SOMEONE'S HAVING A BIT OF FUN WHILE THEY STICK IT TO YA! MAKE YOU FALL, KEEP YOU DOWN & BUMP YOUR BUM.
MAYBE YOUR CO-WORKER, YOUR B...
This 9" tall, stuffed cloth Voodoo Doll is endorsed by a couple of witch doctors and a guy named Stan. Use it to reward nice people by sticking a white pin in the Win Lottery area, or punish those who have forsaken you with a black pin in the Migraine area. With five white (good) pins and five black (bad) pins. Illustrated window box.
Voodoo Dolls or String Dolls are believed that everyone needs love and to be love, confidence, to relieve any tension and stress from daily life, encourage and raise one self's spirit inside. they were made to accommodate modern people. Every children and teenage who buy them, not only bring home their own Voodoo dolls and String dolls but dreams, hopes and Good-Luck that come with them. They can go inside to your heart and make you impressed with their lovely and uniqueness. We believe that eve...
Paper Voodoo Doll - Ma'man Brigit
Serpent Voodoo Dolls
One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. - Carl Jung