Bible Scavenger Hunt
A fun game that keeps kids busy for a couple of hours!
In a park, a half a dozen kids, a few Bibles, and a list of Bible verses can all add up to a great afternoon of fun! Plus more recently I've added a similar scavenger hunt for winter or rainy days!
The original hunt was written for the youth at Sycamore Tree Church. Our group had a blast on the first warm Spring afternoon of 2011. We met at the local park (which is a very wooded area, not a play-ground-style park). We divided into two teams. Each got a big gift bag with two Bibles, a clipboard with the scavenger hunt list, a couple of pencils, and an empty jar. They spent twenty minutes or so with a list of verses along with their Bibles uncovering the actual scavenger hunt list, then an hour of running around the park, up hills and through the creek. There was a lot of laughter—and some wet shoes!
Below, you'll find the entire scavenger hunt list (along with a downloadable PDF and the answer sheet). All you have to add to is gather a group of youth (as few as two or as many as you can count), and you're all set for an afternoon of fun with the Bible.
(If you're looking for other Jr. High Ministry ideas, check out the bottom of this page. I'll keep adding them as I have time.)
If you're in an inner city, have to be indoors because of rain or snow, or just prefer an indoor event, try the indoor Bible scavenger hunt. You'll find it below, plus check out the store. It's just one of the free things you'll find there!
The scavenger hunts you'll find below are just two of the resources available as free downloads at my online store!
The link on the right will take you to a variety of children's lessons, adult studies, and even some music!
- Lynne's Music and Books
Music, Bible studies, curriculum, marriage help, family building, devotions, and more to help you in your Christian Walk.
The Outdoor Bible Scavenger Hunt
Give each team a copy of this list and tell them that one or more words in each verse listed will be the clue to what they should find in the park. Most are single words that will be easily found in nature. A few complete a phrase to a clue for something they can find.
When all teams are done, have them come together and show what they've found for each line. You can keep score and award a prize or just allow the winning team to have the satisfaction of winning. The main goal is to have fun and become a bit more familiar with the Bible.
When our group was done, we decided to go back and clean up trash in the park. Plus we discovered they have a disc golf course there, and we're going back soon to play that, too. So keep your eyes open for other things you might be able to do in the park at a later date.
Here's a link to the Printer Friendly Version that includes the answers!
- Mark 13:28 - T_________________________________ .
- Proverbs 11:28 - L _________________________________(bonus if you find a green one and bonus for every different one you find).
- Genesis 49:24 - R ________________________________(bonus if you find a second one of a different color).
- Genesis 1:11 - F_________________________________ or S______________________________ (bonus if you find both!).
- Psalm 91:4 - F _______________________________________ (bonus for every one you find).
- Genesis 2:9 - Something that fell out of a T_______________________________.
- Psalm 147:8 - G_____________________________.
- Isaiah 55:13 - Something that fell from a P_______________________________.
- Romans 8:9 - Something that D___________________ N__________ B________________ in the Park.
- James 1:9-10 - W_______________ F________________
- Deuteronomy 14:19 - I________________________________ (alive).
- Isaiah 60:1 - Something S_______________(y).
- Isaiah 1:18 - Something W_______________.
- Luke 3:5 - Something SM_______________.
- Matthew 1:21 - Something that reminds you of J____________________________.
This is so much fun!
My Favorite Youth Mission Event
- World Vision's 30 Hour Famine
World Vision is a humanity organization that offers food, education, clean water, clothing, and Jesus to children and their families around the world. 30 Hour Famine is their annual event designed to get youth involved by fasting for 30 hours.
A scavenger hunt for indoors! Here's one for winter or rainy days when you can't get outside.
Divide your group into teams. Give each team this list (see below) on a clipboard and a bag or a box to put their collection in.
You might want to check the list and plant some of the items just in case they aren't readily available in your church or wherever else you are.
- REVELATION 3:5- I will never blot his name from the ________________ of life.
- ISAIAH 64:6- All our righteous acts are like __________________________.
- MATTHEW 10:42- If anyone gives a ____________ of cold water to one of these little ones, he will not lose his reward.
- MATTHEW 5:14- You are the ____________ of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.
- GENESIS 26:24- I will bless you and increase your _____________.
- ISAIAH 33:6- the fear of the Lord is the ___________ to this treasure.
- PSALM 28:7- My heart leaps with Joy, and with my ______________ I will praise Him.
- PSALM 33:7- He gathers the water of the sea into a ________________ ; He puts the deep into storehouses.
- PSALM 18:30- As for God, His way is perfect; the ______________________ is flawless.
- ISAIAH 38:20- The Lord will save me, and we will sing with stringed ____________________s all the days of our lives in the temple of our Lord.
- HEBREWS 13:5- Keep your lives free from the love of _______________ and be content with what you have, because God has said,"Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
- 2 JOHN 1:12- I have much to write to you, but I do not want to use ______________ and ink. Instead, I hope to visit you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete.
The Bible meets Potato Chip Science: Because everything can help us discover things about Christ!
My daughter found this kit called "Potato Chip Science." When I heard about it, I thought it would be a wonderful challenge to create Sunday school lessons to go with the experiments. And now you can find them all here: The Bible Meets Potato Chip Science or on Amazon, as well.
There are 29 lessons designed to go with the kit that you'll find below. You'll need the kit as well as the lessons. The experiments' copyright belongs to Alan Kurzweil, so you won't find the directions for the creative time in the Bible lessons, but you can purchase it at Amazon. Check out the link below.
A Scavenger Hunt for the Moms
Girls Night Out —Here we come!
Every month from August through April, the girls in our church have a night out! We have a blast. This year we concluded our year with a scavenger hunt. It was a lot less scriptural than the youth's hunt, but it created a great opportunity to get to know one another better.
With five on each of three teams, a camera, and a car, our ladies hit the town for about an hour to get photos of the group in a variety of scenarios. Extra points were involved every time the group told someone about the church, got everyone in their photo, or got a stranger to take the picture for them.
If you're interested in a copy of this, check my store! I'll try to get it added as a free download soon!
This is the kit that these lessons will accompany. Because these writings are copywritten, you'll have to have this kit to use the lessons you'll find at that link to the left.
Another fun children's ministry Idea: Pop Bottle Science
In addition to the Potato Chip Science lessons, I've written a few lessons in another series of children's lessons: The BIble Meets Pop Bottle Science.
I believe that there is a lesson about Christ, God, and the ways of the Kingdom in everything ever created or invented. I love taking everyday items and turning them into lessons to help people understand the love of Christ and the truth of the Bible.
If you follow this link: The Bible Meets Pop Bottle Science, You'll find several lessons to go with the Pop Bottle Science book you see above. There are 79 experiments in this little book, so it will take me quite a while to get them finished. Stop back often to get the latest addition!
© 2011 Lynne Modranski