Lego Sets Over 1,000 Pieces
What is the largest lego set you have put together
Big, Large, and Huge Lego Sets
As my kids grew older, they wanted bigger and bigger Lego sets. The bigger they were the more kudos I received as a Dad. I'm a AFOL myself, and I like building these bigger sets too. But, what were the biggest sets ever made? Were there some genres that continued to pump out these large sets? I had to find out.
First, I categorized these sets into three groups:
- Big - Over 1,000 bricks,
- Large - Over 2,500 bricks
- Huge - Over 5,000 bricks
Then, I started looking at the trends, most of the big sets are from Star Wars, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Lord of the Rings. I was surprised to find a group of big sets in the Creator series that had buildings. Large sets trended around Star Wars.
I was also surprised that there were only two sets that ended up in the huge category. The Lego Taj Mahal produced in 2008 had 5,922 bricks, which took the top spot from the Lego Millennium Falcon produced in 2007 and had 5,195 bricks.
Of course, these are expensive, however, you can view most of these at Lego Train Shows and you still might find a few for sale in selected stores and online.
What follows are some groupings and specific call outs of Lego sets that are over 1,000 bricks.
The 18 Largest Lego Sets
I started this list from one I found on brickset.com in 2011 which, at the time, had the top 10 largest sets listed based on the number of bricks that were in the set. The smallest Lego set on this list was listed at 2,747 pieces.
- The Lego Taj Mahal, set 10189 - at 5,922 Lego pieces this is currently the largest set ever sold - released in 2008.
- The Ultimate Lego Millennium Falcon, set 10179 - 5,195 pieces and was the biggest set to date when it was released in 2007.
- Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters, set 75827 - 4,634 pieces - released in 2016.
- The Lego Tower Bridge, set 10214 - 4,287 pieces - released in 2010.
- Big Ben, set 10253 - 4,163 pieces - released in 2016.
- The Lego Disney Castle, set 71040 - 4,080 pieces - released in 2016.
- The Lego Death Star 3, set 75159 - 4,016 pieces - released in 2016.
- The Lego Death Star, set 10188 - 3,803 pieces - released in 2008.
- The Lego Death Star 2, set 10143 - 3,441 pieces - released in 2005 (not sure how Death Star 2 was released before the Death Star).
- The Lego Eiffel Tower, set 10181 - 3,428 pieces - released in 2007.
- Lego Star Wars Sandcrawler, set 75059 - 3,296 pieces - released in 2014.
- The Lego Grand Carousel, set 10196 - 3,263 pieces - released in 2009.
- The Lego Star Wars Super Star Destroyer, set 10221 - 3,152 pieces - released in 2012.
- The Lego Imperial Destroyer, set 10030 - 3,096 pieces - released in 2002.
- The Lego SHIELD Helicarrier, set 76042 - 2,996 pieces - released in 2015.
- The Lego Statue of Liberty, set 3450 - 2,882 pieces - released in 2000.
- The Lego Town Hall, set 10224 - 2,766 pieces
- The Lego Skyline, set 5526 - 2,747 pieces - released in 2005.
If you are going to tackle some of these, just remember it takes a long time. A friend of mine has built the Millennium Falcon and the Death Star and has said it took him a couple of months to complete each.
The Lego Disney Castle
In 2016, Lego released set 71040, The Disney Castle. At 4,080 pieces and standing 2 1/2 feet high, this is an impressive display. I like the fact that the minifigs that were included were Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Tinker Bell. There is also a release of other Disney characters you can purchase separately that would go well with this set.
This is certainly on my WANT list, and I'm sure it will be many years before you will be able to find this in the bins at garage sales.
In addition, Lego released three other sets over four thousand pieces in 2016. See top 18 list above.
The Lego Ferris Wheel
With 2,464 bricks, the Lego Ferris Wheel sits just outside the largest sets ever made, however, this is one of the cooler sets I've seen in a while. If you purchase separately the Lego Power Functions motor, the Ferris Wheel will turn.
Lego Shield Helicarrier - released in 2015
With 2,996 bricks, the Lego Shield Helicarrier is the set for 2015. Minifigs included in this set are, Lego Nick Fury, Black Widow, Captain America, Hawkeye, and Maria Hill, in addition to 12 microfigs. Rounding out the set are Quinjets, fighter jets, and ground support vehicles (not sure how often this vehicle lands).
With the Avengers being very popular these days, this fits right into the Lego line.
The Lego Simpsons House
Well, I just have to say, this will be one of those classic Lego sets that every Simpson's fan will want in their collection. At 2,523 pieces, this is one of the largest sets Lego has produced.
The Simpsons house includes all the minifigs and a very detailed layout.
Lego Star Wars Sets Over 1,000 Pieces
Lego Star Wars sets have become a staple of the Lego enterprise, in fact 5 of the top 10 largest Lego sets are from the Star Wars genre.
In 2012, Lego released another large Star Wars ship, the Super Star Destroyer, Lego set 10221. This set includes 3,152 pieces and weighs in at around 15 lbs. This puts this Lego set at #8 on the all time largest Lego sets list.
In 2011, the Lego Imperial Shuttle from Star Wars, Lego set 10212, was released. This large Lego set contains 2,503 pieces, well short of the largest sets, stands over 2 feet tall with the wings deployed, and can be displayed with landing gear up or in flight mode.
Within the Star Wars genre, you can find every Star Wars character and Star Wars Ship made into a minifig or lego set. There are dozens of sets with over 1,000 pieces in this genre. Too many to list. Below are some of my favorites.
- Ultimate Lego Millennium Falcon, set 10179, 5,195 pieces
- Lego Death Star, set 10188, 3,803 pieces
- Lego Sandcrawler, set 75059, 3,296 pieces
- Lego Star Wars Super Star Destroyer, set 10221, 3,152 pieces
- Lego Imperial Destroyer, set 10030, 3,096 pieces
- Lego Imperial Shuttle, set 10212, 2,503 pieces
- Lego Ewok Village, set 10236, 1,990 pieces (new Sept 2013)
- Republic Dropship with AT-OT walker, set 10195, 1,758 pieces
- Lego Sandcrawler, set 10144, 1,669 pieces
- Red Five X-wing Starfighter, set 10240, 1,559 pieces (new 2013)
- B-wing Starfighter, set 10227, 1,487 pieces
- Lego Tantive IV, set 10198, 1,408 pieces
- Venator-class Republic Attack Cruiser, set 8039, 1,170 pieces
- The Malevolence, set 9515, 1,101 pieces
- Republic Gunship, set 7676, 1,034 pieces
- Lego Millennium Falcon, set 7965 (smaller version)
- Lego Republic Frigate, set 7964
MOCs - Large Lego Creations not from Sets
What about those scenes not from a prepackaged set? These are called MOC or Made Own Creations. With the billions of bricks available, your imagination is the only thing preventing you from building your own house out of Lego bricks. To see some of these creations, go to a local Lego train show and some of the yearly shows that seem to be popping up overnight.
In addition, Lego stores and Legoland have most of the sets built and on display but not put together as a scene. The store in Orlando has many very large custom figures over 10 feet tall, which are very cool.
The Large Lego Castle Sets
Over the years, Lego has continued to build large Castle sets, which are another group of favorites. The Kingdom series 3 different castles over 1,000 pieces. However, castles are not just limited to the kingdom series, as you can find the Hogwarts Castle from the Harry Potter genre, the Helm's Deep Castle from Lord of the Rings, and Monster Fighters. Here's a list of castles over and near 1,000 bricks.
- Set 71040 - The Disney Castle - 4,080 pieces
- Set 10193 - Castle Medieval Market Village -1,690 pieces
- Set 10223 - Kingdoms Joust - 1,575 pieces
- Set 4980 - Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle - 1,390 pieces
- Set 9474 - Lord of the Rings The Battle of Helm's Deep - 1,368 pieces
- Set 70404 - Castle King's Castle - 989 pieces
- Set 7094 - Castle King's Castle Siege - 974 pieces
- Set 6877 - Kingdom Vladeks Dark Fortress - 967 pieces
- Set 7946 - Kingdoms King's Castle - 933 pieces
- Set 9468 - Monster Fighter's Vampyre Castle - 917 pieces
Large Lego Town Sets - World Lego Landmarks
Lego has been making large town sets for years. These sets typically have over 2,000 pieces. These are great if you want to build a Lego city.
- Lego Fire Brigade - set 10197 - 2,231 pieces
- Lego Pet Shop - set 10218 - 2,032 pieces
- Lego Grand Emporium - set 10211 - 2,182 pieces
- Lego Town Hall - set 10224 - 2,766 pieces
- Lego Green Grocer - set 10185 - 2,352 pieces
- Lego Palace Cinema - set 10232 - 2,194 pieces
- Lego Parisian Restaurant - set 10243 - 2,469 pieces
- Monster Fighters Haunted House - set 10228 - 2,036 pieces
You can build these buildings around some historic landmarks that are included on the largest Lego list:
- Lego Taj Mahal - set 10189 - 5,922 pieces
- Lego Eiffel Tower - set 10181 - 3,428 pieces
- Lego Tower Bridge - set 10214 - 4,287 pieces
Lego Space Shuttle Expedition
Lego set 10231, the Lego Space Shuttle Expedition, contains over 1,000 Lego pieces, at 1,230. The Lego shuttle comes with booster rockets and operating cargo doors. This is great for the space dreamer in the family.
Lego Volkswagen Van
The Lego Volkswagen Van, set 10220, is a Lego exclusive set which contains over 1,000 pieces at 1,322. Exclusive Lego sets are special sets that usually don't belong to a theme, like Star Wars or The Hobbit, and are only available for a short amount of time. Some other recent exclusive sets include the Simpsons set and the Ghostbuster Ecto1 vehicle set.
Those Tall Lego Ships
I love these large Lego ships from sets like the Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, and the original pirates sets. The Tall Ships label comes from the journey of these old sailing ships that tour places like Chicago, Boston, and New York.
- Lego Pirates of the Caribbean Black Pearl, set 4184
- Lego LOTR Pirate Ship Ambush, set 79008
- Lego Imperial Flagship, set 10210
- Lego Queen Anne's Revenge, set 4195