- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games
Stylized Shooter / RPG Hybrid from Gearbox
For those who have been living in a cave and still haven't heard about it, Borderlands 2 is a sequel to Gearbox Software's unexpected hit, Borderlands, which was released back in 2009. The game retains its unique visual style, but goes all out in adding new abilities, items, weapon customization options, and improving the enemy AI.
Borderlands 2 was released on September 18, 2012 in North America, and three days later in the rest of the world. You can play it on major consoles (Xbox 360 and PS3) as well as Windows PCs. Read more about the new features in the game, look at the screenshots, and watch a trailer that will make you joy-puke your face off. Leave your awesome comments about the game at the bottom of this page!
Borderlands 2 Premiere Club
Mechromancer Concept Art
In addition to all the Premiere Club bonuses, people who reserved a copy of the game also received the fifth playable Borderlands 2 class - Mechromancer - for free. This class was made available to everyone a month or so after the release (giving Gearbox Software devs enough time to finish it), but people who bought the game after the release date had to purchase it as DLC.
Borderlands 2 features the same stylish look as its predecessor does. It also includes skill trees, four playable characters, and a co-op mode. It is essentially a first-person shooter with action game and RPG elements. There's a number of cool improvements to the classic that Gearbox came up with, however:
- New classes: four new classes each with even more skills than before, from dual-wielding Gunzerker, to a Siren with unbelievable powers. The playable characters in Borderlands 2 are all new, but the old ones will be making an appearance as NPCs.
- More guns: procedural generation allows the developers to have as many as 17 million different weapon variations (I'm not sure how much a "bazillion" is).
- Improved vehicles: Gearbox has re-done the driving from scratch, and also gave some vehicle guns a boost.
- Better AI: enemies will be smarter and more likely to cooperate (at least some of them - don't expect any smart tactics from Psychos).
- Longer missions: more complex, interesting, and fun missions will keep the players immersed in the story. According to the devs, the quest lines will be three times bigger compared to those of the original Borderlands.
More information about the game can be found on the official Borderlands 2 website.
Borderlands 2 takes place 5 years after the events in the original game. Handsome Jack takes over Hyperion and declares himself the Dictator of Pandora. Considering the player to be a threat to his rule, he drops you into the cold, barren tundra of Pandora, where you have to survive and begin the journey for revenge and redemption. You will be tasked with killing Handsome Jack, and the first step will be freeing the four Vault Hunters from the Hyperion corporation.
The story is written by Anthony Burch from "Hey Ash Whatcha Playin" (HAWP) online show.
Borderlands 2 Screenshots - Take a Look Inside the GameClick thumbnail to view full-size
Borderlands 2 Launch Date Trailer
Dubstep, firefights, boobies, and claptraps... This trailer has it all. Other game developers should take note.
Rate the Game
How would you rate Borderlands 2?
To no one's surprise, Borderlands 2 for the PC got an impressive 89 MetaScore from the critics, as well as a great 8.1 User Score on MetaCritic.com. Console versions were also rated similarly.