Cribbage ... A Game for All Ages
Fifteen Two, A Pair Is Four, and Knobs Is Five
Cribbage. I learned to play when I was only in Kindergarten. Mom was a stay at home parent, and my Dad came home every day during his lunch break. We would sit at the dinner table to eat a simple lunch together, and afterwards (every day) they would play one game of cribbage. Repeat this ritual most days during breakfast and supper throughout childhood and you have a whole family - there were 6 of us kids - who are going to learn to love the game.
Need further evidence for family love of the game? This is a picture of the family cribbage board that was gifted to us by close family friends nearly 40 years ago. It is our official cribbage board for the three-handed game. I think I'm safe in saying that, "Go get the toilet seat and a ," was not a common phrase in most households. deck of cards
I'd like to take this page to share with you a little more about the game and myself. Photos on this page are my own.
The Essential Traveling Cribbage Board
I recommend having a cribbage board for every room in the house and most importantly one that travels, like this one. Keep it in your car or with your camping supplies because you never know when you'll have 20 minutes or 20 hours to kill. Some of my favorite places to play cribbage are in the campsite, in the ice shanty, and on a picnic, so "the traveler" is essential.
Whose Crib Is It?
Cribbage dates back to the 1600s in England.
In my family, cribbage dates back to my grandparents who taught my parents to play. Everyone in my family learned to play young. It's what we do when we get together.
Eat dinner... play a game of cribbage. Visit my 98-year-old great aunt... play a game of cribbage with her. Go home for a visit... play a game of four-handed with my parents. Attend a family reunion... watch the older relatives play one game after another and teach the younger ones to play. The game brings us together and helps us to connect and reconnect over something as simple as a . cribbage board
If you can't be out riding a toboggan on a winter's day, snuggle up to a fire with a friend and this toboggan cribbage board.
- It is impossible to have a cribbage hand that is worth 19 points. So if you are playing, and your opponent tells you they "got a 19 hand" they mean it is worth exactly zero points. I get a lot of 19 hands.
- If your opponent asks if you would like to cut the cards before they deal, do not take them up on it. Unlike many other card games where cutting the deck is acceptable or encouraged, cutting the cards before the deal in cribbage means you automatically lose the game (at least that's how my family played). I learned this lesson the hard way from my uncle.
- The highest number of points that a player can get in one hand is 29 and it's called a perfect hand. It's rare. I've never had a perfect hand in my life!
- Counting points is called "pegging," and it's done by moving the back peg the correct number of points (holes on the cribbage board) ahead of the front peg.
- Another word for the pegs is "spillikin." It's fun to say the word spillikin!
- Cribbage can be played with anywhere from two to six people, but two, three and four handed are most common. My older brother was my four-handed partner against my parents for years; now my husband is my partner against them.
Row, row, row your... cribbage board! Fun and unique, you'll be "on board" with cribbage in no time!
Free Online Cribbage Links
Sometimes we live far away from our favorite Cribbage partners, or we prefer to play alone. Here are links to a few of the better free online Cribbage options avaialble.
- Cribbage at Games.com
Players can choose single ormultiplayer options, play others at the same skill level, and learn some new variations on Cribbage.
Revitalizing Cribbage! Play any of 13 different styles of Cribbage (including traditional), join tournaments, and more.
- Cribbage Online
Play Cribbage online for free and much, much more!
Unique Cribbage Boards Make Great Gifts - For people who love the outdoors
Perfect for the cabin as a decorative piece or for everyday use!
Cribbage is sprinkled with lots of quirky and fun terms.
Which cribbage term below is your favorite (or makes you want to learn the game)?
Make Your Own Cribbage Board
Cribbage Board Templates & Kits - available on Amazon
I love the kits for creating your own cribbage board! They include almost everything you need including the drilling template, bits in just the right size, spillikens (game pegs) and tiny storage doors. They come in a variety of styles and patterns. If you want to see more, just click on any of these and look at what else Amazon has to offer.
This is the basic model and it works great for the simplest of cribbage boards.
© 2012 Monica Lobenstein