DIY Baby Sock Roses - A Gift of Flowers for a Mom-to-Be
A Dozen "Roses" for a New Mom at her Baby Shower
Nearly everyone loves getting a dozen roses, even if they are made of tissue paper, decorative cellophane, and baby socks. I once received a similar vase of "roses" for a bridal shower. I adapted the design and have been making them ever since for baby showers, bridal showers, bachelorette parties, and other celebrations. They make a fun gift and decoration for any party.
On this page, I will share a photo tutorial for how to create these cute decorative gifts as well as a few other ideas for what to put in them for other kinds of events.
All photos on this page are my own.
Handmade for Baby
Handmade is from the heart, and these 24 sewing projects will be more than simply something for baby. They are a way to make your "nest" warm and comfortable, and they will be heirlooms for generations of babies to come. Welcome baby with handmade, cozy, loving warmth.
Quirky cute monsters are lovable, warm, creative ways to welcome a new little one to your friend or family group, and a wonderful way to wish anyone a happy birthday, happy holidays, or just because. Love this cute book for knitters!
DIY Baby Sock Roses Photo Tutorial - Photos and written instructions below.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Project Shopping List
Infant socks are ridiculously sweet and fit into these roses perfectly. I chose unisex socks for this project because my friend (the mom-to-be) wasn't finding out the gender, but you can click here to find boys and girls socks as well.
I have made roses with clear cellophane (with the colored tissue paper inside) and also with colored cellophane (no tissue paper). The clear cellophane gives you lots of options.
I love yellow as a baby color! It doesn't pigeonhole boys or girls into blue or pink. Plus it's pretty and sunny and happy! If you like other colors, click here and you'll find many other colors to choose from.
Simple dark green floral tape is perfect for this project. You'll use less than one roll for a dozen roses with plenty leftover to get you started on your next dozen.
DIY Baby Sock Roses at the Shower - These make a great conversation starter too!
Other Ways to Use DIY Roses
These DIY Roses can be used in a million different ways, based on the occasion and your imagination. Here are a few ways I've used this craft:
- Candy Kisses - Put two Kisses back to back inside the roses for Valentine's Day or other love occasions.
- Condoms - Wrap condoms inside roses for fun(ny) bridal showers or bachelorette party gifts and decorations.
- Small party favors - Roses make a fun way to "wrap" party favors and trinkets for all kinds of occasions.
- Tea bags - For a Tea Party, roses make for a randomizes selection of beautiful tea.
- Cash, personalized coupons (for back rubs or whatever), special date nights - Paper gifts can be folded up tight inside a rose. Each person chooses a rose and unwraps it to find out what they got for a fun surprise.