Cute & Clever Dr. Seuss Baby Shower Ideas
Welcome the New Fish with One Fish, Two Fish!
Looking for ideas for a Dr. Seuss theme baby shower? Check out these colorful photos and ideas for themes, cake, super Seussical food, games and more!
Whether for a boy or girl (or a surprise), the bright colors and images of Dr. Seuss make a sweet party theme to welcome baby. With The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, One Fish, Two Fish, Oh The Places You'll Go and more delightful stories from which to choose, the possibilities are endless. Pick your favorite book or mix and match ideas to come up with your own ideas. The creative selections on this page will give you lots of inspiration!
Just about all of us grew up reading these stories and/or singing along with The Cat in The Hat on DVD or TV. It's only natural that these same delights will be passed on to our children and our grandchildren. Let the fun begin!
Start with a Super Cute Cake
Unique Baby Shower Cake
Your Own Choices
An amazing cake like this will work as the centerpiece to your baby shower until every crumb is finally devoured!
The details on this cake are fantastic and truly over-the-top. A creation like this is sure to delight guests of all ages. See the adorable momma and baby fish? The little outfits hanging from the line are a sweet little addition too.
If you want to make your own DIY cake, or have a bakery make up one for you, be sure to bring along photos or copies from the original Dr. Suess books you wish to feature, or bookmark this page to show them. Some options are having an edible image made and put on the cake or having a talented cake artist recreate the characters in frosting or fondant.
Which of these is your favorite Dr. Suess book?
Add Some Fun Decorations!
Easy and Cute DIY (Do It Yourself) Décor Ideas
There are many ways to make great decorations for your party or shower. Here are some suggestions:
- Decorate with real Dr. Seuss books and give them as a gift to the new mommy at the end of the party.
- Check out local fabric stores for simple red and white striped yardage (like the Cat in the Hat's hat). It generally runs 36" to 48" so it is already the perfect width for a tablecloth (if you prefer not to sew). Buy the length you want by asking for the number of yards you need. For instance, a 50" table would need about 2 yards (or 72") to cover the table and hang off the sides.
- Sometimes you can find real Seussical prints at the fabric store as well! Look where the novelty and character prints are for lots of choices. You can also buy fabric by the yard online at Joann.com, Amazon, and many other stores.
- Copy and print pages from the book related to your theme. You can frame the pages in colorful frames as décor or laminate them as placemats.
- Balloons in the color of your theme will add a lot for a small price. The Dollar Tree has helium balloons for just one dollar each for the front yard or a special spot. Walmart and Party City usually have plenty of choices as well.
- The classic red Solo Cups already match any theme with red (Cat in the Hat, Fox in Socks, etc.) and now they come in a few more colors.
Serve Some Silly Seussical Snacks!
Green Eggs and Ham! - Totally Fun!
Seuss-ish Eggs for Party Guests!
Add a bit of food coloring to the yolk mix of your favorite deviled eggs recipe and you're all set with these tempting treats! Be sure to add just a tiny drop of coloring at a time to get the green you are going for; a little food coloring goes a long way! Just pipe the mixed green yolks into the whites for a pretty presentation.
Ham is cut into strips, rolled and secured with toothpicks. Arrange on a platter and enjoy the laughs!
Are you brave enough to eat green eggs and ham?
Red Fish, Blue Fish, Tuna Fish Sandwich!
Red and blue food coloring added to a delicious tuna mixture makes fun fillings for these crustless finger sandwiches.
How About Some Red and White Cat in the Hat Parfaits?
Even Thing One and Thing Two Could Make These Quick and Easy Desserts!
To make easy Cat in the Hat gelatin parfaits, layer finished red Jello and your favorite whipped topping (such as Cool Whip brand) in clear cups. Start with the Jello and end with topping for a fun finish. Ta da! What could be more simple and fun?!
Follow product directions about refrigeration. Be sure to have spoons on hand for eating these.
Plan Some Fun and Games!
Seussical Party Games
PAPER BABY SHOWER GAMES
- Read part of a rhyme from a Dr. Seuss book. Can anyone supply the next line?
- Who can list the most Seuss book titles?
- Match the character name to the correct book.
MORE ACTIVE GAMES
- Who can stack diapers the highest (like Yertle the Turtle) without them tumbling down?
- Green eggs spoon relay race (use plastic ones from Easter or dye hard boiled eggs)
Amusements for Young Guests
People often bring "big" kids to a baby shower. They have fun, but often get bored. Keep them happy with these ideas!
- Seussical Coloring pages
- Bags of party favors (such as fish toys, candy)
- A Seussical movie (Set up a special corner with big pillows & snacks)
- Chalk on a backyard patio
- Also be sure to have kid-friendly versions of shower games so the children can play along with the grown-ups
© 2012 JJNW