- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games
Gears of War 3
One of the Most Anticipated Games of 2011
Gears of War 3 is an Xbox 360-exclusive shooter game developed by Epic Games and released on September 20th back in 2011. According to a study that the market research company Ipsos performed in the UK and the US, it was voted the most anticipated game that year. GoW3 also reached 1 million preorder units in a record time.
The game was quite well-received, and has a very high score (91) on MetaCritic, with some of the largest gaming sites like Joystiq and Giant Bomb giving it perfect scores. However, the current user score is significantly lower at 7.6 (which, nevertheless, is higher than average for this site). Most complaints seem to be about trite writing and various multiplayer issues, which are thankfully not game-breaking.
Here are the top 5 most touted things about this Gears installment:
- Stunning visuals: thanks to the improved Unreal Engine 3.5, GoW 3 is the best-looking Gears game to date. It also features more brutal execution moves!
- New characters: three new playable female characters are introduced (Samantha Byrne, Anya Stroud, and Bernadette Mataki).
- Fiercer enemies: powerful mutated Lambent creatures are a threat to both humans and the Locust.
- More weapons: the Retro Lancer, the Digger Launcher, the One-Shot, the Sawed-off Shotgun, and Incendiary Grenades.
- New game modes: 4-player co-op mode, and multiplayer Beast Mode where you play as Locust against COG members. Multiplayer is improved thanks to dedicated servers.
Gears of War 3 Concept ArtClick thumbnail to view full-size
Gears of War 3 Gameplay Video
Rate the Game
On the scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate Gears of War 3?
Gears of War: Judgment
GoW: Judgement is the next game in the series, and a prequel to the original trilogy. It features Damon Baird and Augustus Cole as protagonists, and, like its predecessors, includes a nice single player campaign and several multiplayer modes.
Familiar elements like fast-paced and violent combat certainly make an appearance in Judgement as well. While not as well-received as GoW3, it is still a solid game that most Gears fans will enjoy a lot.