- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games
Who the Heck is Guybrush Threepwood?
"Hi there, I'm Guybrush Threepwood, a mighty pirate!"
Guybrush Threepwood is the main character from the Monkey Island computer game series by LucasArts. He starts off as a pirate wannabe, and doesn't have the qualities you'd expect in a dashing buccaneer. He's intimidated by seagulls ("It might peck my hand off!"), he's deathly afraid of porcelain, and he has a funny name. But he's a persistent little bugger, he's full of hilarious and often brilliant one-liners, AND he can hold his breath for ten minutes.
He defeated the undead pirate LeChuck multiple times, discovered the secret of Monkey Island, defeated the swordmaster of Melee Island, won a spitting contest, married the beautiful governor Elaine Marley, and even managed to grow a beard once. (No one including Guybrush is sure what happened to it, though.)
What kind of a ridiculous name is "Guybrush Threepwood"?
"Is that a French name?"
"No, actually it's a fictional name."
The folks who brought us the Monkey Island games first created a sprite of the character who would be the protagonist. They didn't have a name for our hero yet, so they just saved the sprite as "Guy."
Deluxe Paint, the program they used to create the sprite, appended ".brush" to the end of the file's name, giving us "Guy.brush." Everyone got used to referring to the sprite character as Guybrush, so the name just kind of stuck.
Guybrush got the surname "Threepwood" after the game developers voted on it. Originally, "Threepwood" was the name of one of Dave Grossman's RPG character.
The Voice of Guybrush Threepwood
Although there was some rollicking good music in the first two Monkey Island games, you had to imagine what the characters sounded like. All that changed in 1997 in the third game, "The Curse of Monkey Island," when Dominic Armato voiced Guybrush Threepwood. Many fans agreed that Guybrush's voice was perfect and just about what they imagined. He's fun to listen to when he's saying something particularly dry and witty.
Fun fact: Dominic was already a fan of the Monkey Island games.
Elaine Marley is the governor of the Tri Island area. Her beauty and spirit won the heart of both Guybrush and the ghost pirate LeChuck. Unfortunately, LeChuck can't handle the competition and keeps trying to do away with Guybrush.
When Guybrush first meets Elaine, he's so tongue-tied that he can't do much more than sputter. Eventually they get married, but Elaine seems to be the one who wears the pants in this family. She can be rather sharp-tongued and dismissive of him.
Funny, Witty, and Otherwise Memorable quotes from the quotable Guybrush Threepwood-- mighty pirate!
- "Oh yeah? Well... you fight like a cow!"
- "I don't wanna look like a jackass." [looks at the camera] "Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking. So knock it off."
- "She named the dog Guybrush?"
- "Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!"
- "Never pay more than twenty bucks for a computer game."
- "Where do babies come from?"
- "I'm Guybrush Threepwood, ghost busting stud."
- "Don't eat me. I'm a mighty pirate!"
- "Hello, I'm selling these fine pink dresses."
- "I want to be a fireman!"
- "I think I can live without that particular piece of junk."
- "Call me Squinky."
- "It's a great day for spitting!"
- "A whole bucket of mud. And it's mine, all mine!"
- [singing] "Oh there's a monkey in my pocket / and he's stealing all my change / his stare is blank and glass / I suspect that he's deranged!"
- "If you kill me, there wouldn't be any more Monkey Island sequels."
- "Ah, the middle finger. The most communicative of fingers."
Fun Facts and Trivia
Guybrush had a beard in Monkey Island II, but it disappeared in the following two games.
For some reason, Guybrush has a debilitating fear of porcelain in the third Monkey Island game.
It's hard to say exactly how old Guybrush is, but some claim that he was 18 in Secret of Monkey Island, 19 in LeChuck's Revenge, 20 in Curse of Monkey Island, and maybe 21 in Escape from Monkey Island.
In Monkey Island II, the dashing Threepwood briefly sported a frilly pink dress.
His middle name is Ulysses.
In the first Monkey Island game, there is only one way you can kill off Guybrush: Make him stay underwater for more than ten minutes.
Are you a Guybrush Threepwood fan? Let the world know!