How to Make Decoupage Gift Bags
Everyone loves gift bags. They are so much faster and easier than wrapping a gift. The only thing I didn't like about gift bags is their short life. Even if you save and reuse, they are still only good for 3 or 4 uses before they start to look too beat up to use. I considered using fabric gift bags, but unless you stuff them, which creates even more waste, they are limp and not very attractive on a gift table.
It was quite a conundrum.
One day I was decoupaging a cardboard box for an organizer (look here for that project: Decoupage Organizers from Cardboard Boxes and the box was standing on end, drying, and I could not help but to think how much it looked like a gift bag, I almost yelled EUREKA!! The idea of decoupaged gift "bags" were born.
Here's how I made it::
Making Decoupage Gift Bags
Time required: 2 hours
Cost: less than $5
- 1 inch sponge brush
- Mod Podge
1. Take a box and cut off the end. Place your cutouts and decoupage down with Mod Podge or your own sealant. Fold the cutouts over the top edge and inside at least an inch.
A Review of Mod Podge and a Beginners Tutorial
2. While your box is drying, cut your ribbon handle and glue to a rectangular piece of cardboard, wrapping it around and gluing it, for added strength. Clamp and let dry
3. Glue the cardboard to the top of the box and cover the rectangular piece of cardboard with pictures to give it a more finished appearance. Clamp and let dry. Do the same on the other side for the other handle.
4. Cut a little tag and fold, tie it around the handle, and put some tissue paper inside. You are done!
5. There are many ways to decorate gift bags. You can use pictures of flowers or anything you like! I also make some out of black and white print, people really love these and often us them as decorations on bookshelves or mantles.
6. You can make them in any shape or size that you can find a box!
There is no limit to the kinds of bags you can make or the ways you can decorate them. These "bags" are such an easy project and they last so much longer than paper gift bags, why don't you give them a try?