Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
About Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is one of the top RPGs of 2012. The game was developed by 38 Studios and Big Huge Games, and had several famous talents working on it, including Ken Rolston (lead designer of TES: Morrowind and Oblivion), Todd McFarlane (author of Spawn comic), and R.A. Salvatore (Forgotten Realms fantasy writer). The result turned out to be quite good, as evidenced by a respectable Metacritic score of 81 for the PC version.
The game takes place in a unique fantasy world, and offers an interesting character advancement system that allows you to freely combine elements of might, magic, and stealth. The combat is very fluid and dynamic, much like in the best action games.
A world crafted by Todd MacFarlane, R.A. Salvatore, and Ken Rolston
In a realm where everyone's fate is predetermined, no one can defeated the great evil that is threatening extinction of all mortal races. No one except you, that is - a person who was brought back from the dead through the Well of Souls, unbound by fate, and free to carve your own destiny.
You don't remember your past life or the circumstances of your death, but you find yourself immediately in the middle of a conflict centered around the Well of Souls, the powerful magical artifact capable of resurrecting people.
Kingdoms of Amalur allows you to play as one of the four diverse races, and choose your own destiny by accomplishing quests and customizing your abilities in different ways. Starting out as Fateless, you can become a mighty Sorcerer, sneaky Spellcloak, or a powerful Conqueror - and determine the future of Amalur itself.
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning ScreenshotsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Find out more about Kingdoms of Amalur
Reckoning is a single-player RPG which combines a rich setting and a branching storyline with a fast-paced combat system that wouldn't be out of place in a hack-and-slash game. Here are some of the things worth nothing about this title:
- Four playable races: choose between the regal Ljosalfar, fierce Varani, charismatic Dokkalfar, and noble Almain.
- No locked classes: combine elements of force, stealth, and magic as you please, and build a pure Warrior, a Rogue-Mage, or even a Jack-of-All-Trades.
- Dynamic combat: responsive, fluid real-time combat, rarely seen in Western RPGs. Use your spell and weapon attacks together for overwhelming effects.
- Rich setting: over 10,000 years of Amalur history has been written for Reckoning and the planned MMORPG title based on the same IP. Explore the world that just might rival that of the Elder Scrolls in depth.
- Player choice: decide what you want to do with your new-found freedom from fate, and determine the future of the races of Amalur with your actions.
KoA: Reckoning Trailer
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on Amazon
Buy Reckoning for Xbox 360, Playstation 3, or PC platforms on Amazon and get free "Super Saver" shipping. The game is also available as a PC Download if you prefer digital delivery.