- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
League of Legends - Jungle Amumu Guide and Build
League of Legends - Jungle Amumu Guide and Build
Are you looking for an Amumu guide or an Amumu build? This page covers the basics of playing Amumu (Jungle) effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Amumu is a powerful tank and is generally played as a jungler. Amumu's power comes from his area of effect ultimate that disables enemies, which makes for great for initiation or counter initiation. Amumu also works very well with magic based teams thanks to his magic reduction passive.
This Amumu guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Amumu, it is recommended for people just starting to use Amumu.
Don't own Amumu? Want to purchase a skin for Amumu? Did you know that you can get free RP codes?
Guide current as of: Release Notes v184.108.40.206
This Amumu guide is also available in summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Amumu Too Powerful?
Is Amumu Too Strong?
Cursed Touch (Passive) A very powerful debuff that works very well throughout the entire game. Combine this with an Abyssal Scepter for a great magic damage boost for your team.
Bandage Toss (Q) This skill is mainly used for initiation but also packs a decent stun effect which can be helpful to save an ally or stop an enemy from escaping. It also works great if you get ganked in your jungle as you can bandage toss to other minion camps to escape.
Despair (W) Essentially a free Sunfire Cape for Amumu that also has a %HP based effect, making it very powerful throughout the whole game. The mana cost is very large early game, so careful activation of this skill is required.
Tantrum (E) This ability allows Amumu to jungle with decent speed once it gets leveled up and offers strong area of effect damage to combine with his ultimate. This skill can be used many times in a team fight thanks to the cooldown reduction on it (every time you take a hit).
Curse of the Sad Mummy (Ultimate) An amazing area of effect ultimate that works incredibly well with allied area of effect abilities. With correct timing this ultimate can turn team fights around or be used to initiate on the enemy team in the first place. Generally you should try to save this skill for multiple opponents.
Amumu Skill Order
Generally the best way to level your abilities as Amumu is:
Curse of the Sad Mummy (Ult) > Tantrum > Despair > Bandage Toss
Grabbing one point in Despair at level one will allow for a faster Blue Golem (and wolves) clear. From here Tantrum is best to maxed first as it offers good damage to boost your jungle speed and also beefs you up alittle. Bandtage Toss is taken at level 4 but if a gank potential opens up then grab it at level 3 as it is needed to gank.
Despair is generally maxed second to boost jungle speed and overall team fight presence. If the game is dragging on and you need some more burst damage for your ganks you can max Bandage Toss second as the base damage goes up quickly.
Red (Marks) - Magic Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Health // Movement Speed
A tank rune page setup works great for Amumu. Magic Penetration Marks help your damage output and are the best option here. Armor Seals are great and allow you to take less damage in the jungle.
Glyphs should be magic resistance per level to reduce caster damage in the mid-late game while Quintessences are best used towards health, giving that strong early game health pool. Alternatively you can Movement Speed Quintessences to help you move around the map and position yourself.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Amumu Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
For jungle Amumu you want to run Flash and Smite. Smite is a must for any jungler to secure buffs and Dragon/Baron as well as increase general jungle speed. Flash gives Amumu great escaping abilities in the jungle and also allows him to easily initiate with his ultimate, it is a must have.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Amumu is heavily reliant on both Flash and Smite, I do not recommend using any other summoner spells.
Other League of Legends Pages
- League of Legends Riot Point Giveaways
- League of Legends Mastery Guide: A Guide To LoL Masteries
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends: Rune Pages Guide
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- The Ultimate MOBA Games List - Published By Games Like Finder
Amumu Masteries - Jungle Amumu Masteries (0/21/9)
The defensive tree offers many strong masteries to improve your jungle survivability: it offers armor, magic resistance, reduced minion damage, starting health and damage reflection.
While the utility tree is also vital as it offers improved maximum mana and increased buff duration.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Final Item Build:
-Rylai's Crystal Scepter
-As Amumu you can either start with Boots of Speed & 3 Health Potions or a Regrowth Pendant & 1 Health Potion. Boots give you greater mobility and can help you gank or avoid being ganked. While the Regrowth Pendant sets you up for an early Philosopher's Stone.
-Once you've got both the items listed above you should also grab a Heart of Gold to offset Amumu's slower jungle speeds.
-Your three core Amumu items are Sunfire Cape, Abyssal Scepter and Rylai's Crystal Scepter. These three items provide a good health boost, powerful damage and a strong slow making Amumu very hard to run away from, allowing you to be very annoying in team fights.
-Your final items will always depend on the enemy team (see the alternatives below), upgrading to a Shurelya's Reverie is always a good choice though as it allows you to initiate easily. Frozen Heart is also a great choice for the armor, cooldown reduction, aura and mana it provides.
-Force of Nature (If the enemy team is very AP heavy).
-Banshee's Veil (If the enemy team has a lot of crowd control).
-Aegis of the Legion (For when nobody else on your team builds one).
-Randuin's Omen (Offers a good active and also builds out of Heart of Gold).
Related League of Legends Guides
Don't Feed Amumu - Champion Guide - By Ciderhelm
Amumu Jungle - By stonewall008
General Amumu TIps
- Focus on initiation at correct times, consider if your allies are close enough and how many of the enemies will be affected by your ultimate (especially key enemies like carries).
- Only use your ultimate on one target if they are carrying the enemy team or stacking, otherwise it should be saved for numerous enemies.
- Be sure to activate Despair when around enemies, the damage can add up overtime in a team fight. Don't forget to toggle it off afterwards though.
- Use the long range of Bandage Toss to initiate on enemies. You can also use Shurelya's Reverie if you build it.
- Consider your position in team fights, you want to hurt maximum enemies with Despair while also tagging them with your passive to help your allies.
- Always tell your allies when your ultimate is up (or down) as this will affect decisions that they make in teamfights.
Early Game (1-6)
- Your standard jungle route: Wolves > Blue > Wraith > Red > Mini-Golems
- Don't forget to activate those health potions!
- Consider grabbing an early point in Bandage Toss (level 2 or 3) if a gank presents itself and you are confident with your skill shots.
- Make sure to turn off Despair as you walk between camps so that you can clear the full jungle.
Mid Game (7-12)
- Amumu's ultimate is particularly devastating during mid-game in the 2v2 and 3v3 fights that occur. It makes for a very deadly ganking tool.
- Amumu has great farming capabilities with Despair and Tantrum (and even Sunfire Cape), be sure to farm when possible to get those tanky items.
- The long range on Bandage Toss makes it great for ganks from the bushes in middle lane or side lanes using the river bushes.
- Consider what items you are going to need this game and what order, base this on the enemy teams composition and which champions are doing particularly well or are particularly strong.
- You should give the blue golem buff to the AP champion on your team (usually in mid) and the red lizard buff to one of your AD carries at this stage of the game, Amumu is not buff reliant.
Late Game (13-18)
- Your ultimate can make or break the game at this stage, you should be focusing on correct moments to use this. Saving yourself is generally not a good reason.
- After using your ultimate, use Tantrum where it will affect maximum enemies, also don't forget to toggle Despair on. Your next move should be harassing the enemy carry and using Bandage Toss on them when possible (as well as spreading your passive to as many enemies as possible).
- Always stick with your team, generally they will be solely relying on your ultimate for initiation or counter-initiation.
You Might Also Like
- Amumu Build Guide - The Lonely Mummy (Solomid)
The Only Cholo has put together a great jungle Amumu build guide over at Solomid.
- Amumu Build Guide - Amumu Isn't A Cry Baby! (Solomid)
Another Amumu guide from solomid this time CheeseandButter offers his thoughts on the sad mummy. Includes a great breakdown of the different items available.
- LeagueCraft - Amumu The Pop Mummy Guide
deLaurent offers his tips on playing Amumu over at LeagueCraft.
- Mobafire: Amumu Build Guide - Jungle Amumu: A Guide to Depressing your Enemies
A massive in depth jungle Amumu guide, plenty of discussion on items and jungler match-ups. That Trev Person has done a wonderful job on this guide.