League of Legends - Blitzcrank Guide and Build
League of Legends - Blitzcrank Guide and Build
Are you looking for an Blitzcrank guide or a Blitzcrank build? This page covers the basics of playing Blitzcrank effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Blitzcrank is a powerful support champion with great interrupt abilities, he is a very fun champion to play and can be a great annoyance to play against. Blitzcrank excels at catching enemies off guard with his Rocket Grab ability, shutting out enemies during team fights with his silence and chasing down enemies with his Overdrive ability.
This Blitzcrank guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Blitzcrank, it is recommended for people just starting to use Blitzcrank.
Don't own Blitzcrank? Or want to get your hands on a Blitzcrank skin from the Riot store? Learn how you can get free Riot Point cards.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v184.108.40.206
This Blitzcrank guide is also available in summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Blitzcrank Over Powered?
Do You Think Blitzcrank Is Over Powered?
Mana Barrier (Passive) Blitzcrank's passive will save you a lot early game and is great to bait the enemy champions in, only discover you've still got an extra 200-300 health thanks to your passive. This passive also gives Blitzcrank a reason to focus on mana based items.
Rocket Grab (Q) Blitzcrank's signature move, which allows you to pick people off. You can use it to pull people into your team, an allied tower and even through walls. You must get good at hitting this skill shot if you want to be a successful Blitzcrank player.
Overdrive (W) This ability provides a free speed boost and with full cooldown can nearly always be active. It is great for putting some hurt on towers, catching up to enemies or fleeing from danger.
Power Fist (E) Another one of Blitzcrank's interrupt abilities which is extremely easy to use. It is very powerful combined with Blitzcrank's Rocket Grab and Static Field.
Static Field (Ultimate) Blitzcrank's ultimate is an area of effect silence with decent damage and low cooldown. The correct timing of this skill in a team fight can drastically change the result.
Blitzcrank Skill Order
Generally the best way to level your abilities is:
(Ult) > Rocket Grab > Overdrive > Power Fist
As Blitzcrank you want to pick up all your skills by level 3 as they all help build your strong laning presence.
Rocket Grab is a must have at level 1 as it opens up invade options and forces your lane opponents to be alert from the very start. Maxing this skill first is best as it reduces the cooldown and gives it more damage to help secure kills. Secondly you want to max your Overdrive for the extra movement speed.
As Blitzcrank you want to finish up with Power Fist as levels only reduce the cooldown by a small amount.
Red (Marks) - Armor // Armor Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Health // Movement Speed // Gold/10 Sec
As a support champion Blitzcrank needs to be durable so Armor Marks and Seals should be your default option. If you don't have Armor runes (and don't want to purchase them then you can run Armor Penetration instead to help Blitzcrank's laning phase.
Glyphs should be the standard Magic Resistance Per Level as Blitzcrank won't be facing off against any AP champions until mid-late game. While Quintessences offer a number of different options for Blitzcrank including Health (defensive), Movement Speed (aggressive) or Gold generation if your just looking to get your early game items up sooner.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Blitzcrank Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash and Exhaust are two strong summoner spells for Blitzcrank, Flash gives you a strong escape skill especially when combined with the free Ghost from Overdrive. Exhaust is strong on all support champions due to the ability to shut out the enemy AD carry in lane and combined with Blitzcrank's already aggressive playstyle makes it even more deadly.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
As a support champion there are many other summoner spell options available but they have a significant impact on how the laning phase will go. Generally its best to run Exhaust or communicate with your lane partner about an alternative.
Other League of Legends Sites
- Win Free Riot Points With Monthly RP Contests
- League of Legends Mastery Guide: A Guide To LoL Masteries
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends: Rune Pages Guide
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- Games Finder - Your Home For MOBA Gaming
As a support champion Blitzcrank wants to focus his mastery points into the defense and utility tree. I find a 1/12/17 setup to be most effective but depending on your playstyle you are free to move a few points around.
1 point in the offense tree is a must if you are running Exhaust due to the extra reduction it offers, this can meant the difference between early game kills.
In the defense tree you want to focus on boosting your defenses by grabbing increase armor and health. Combined with some health regeneration you can have some lane sustain (as Blitzcrank is a non-healing support).
While in the utility tree you want to grab mana regeneration, movement speed, ward range and the various gold masteries which are very beneficial to supports.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
How To Build A Support Blitzcrank
Final Item Build:
-Aegis of the Legion
-Opening items for support Blitzcrank should always be Faerie Charm, Health Potions and Wards, this gives you some early regeneration, sustain and some wards for lane vision. Alternatively if you want to play aggressively early consider Boots of Speed and Wards.
-From here you should look to build Boots of Speed (if you didn't start with them) and build towards Heart of Gold and Philosopher's Stone. These items will help you generate gold and give you some other vital stats.
-Your first core item should always be Aegis of the Legion due to the powerful benefits it offers your team.
-For the remainder of the game you will want to focus on purchasing wards for your team and grabbing an Oracle Elixir to help clear enemy wards.
-Any extra gold will want to be spent building items such as Frozen Heart and Banshee's Veil, both these items boost Blitzcrank's defenses and synergise well with his passive.
-Another support item worth consideration is Shurelya's Reverie as it can help your team initiate or escape from danger.
-Trinity Force is a final item consideration on Blitzcrank for long games as it gives him a number of helpful stats.
-Zeke's Herald (Another potential support item).
-Boots of Swiftness / Boots of Mobility (If the enemy has minimal crowd control then these boots can make Blitzcrank very deadly).
Related LoL Champion Guides
League of Legends: Blitzcrank Champion Spotlight
General Blitzcrank Gameplay Tips
- Blitzcrank has very powerful interrupts, use them carefully in teamfights for maximum effect.
- When roaming team up with a champion that offers a snare or a stun, this makes for a deadly combo.
- Always target the enemy carry or support with your Rocket Grab, it will result in certain death for them.
- The combo of Rocket Grab > Power Fist > Static Field is very deadly against a single opponent (both damage wise and the fact that it locks them down with no chance for escape).
- If the enemy is using minions to block Rocket Grab, you can use Overdrive and Power Fist to disable them, using Rocket Grab and your ultimate as they run away.
Early Game - (Level 1-6)
- Conserve mana for Rocket Grabs that will result in kills or heavy damage to the enemy. Pulling the enemy in when your partner is away from lane or they are not in position will result in a large amount of wasted mana.
- Mana shield can help you bait enemies into over committing.
- Focus on landing solid Rocket Grab > Power Fist combos on the enemy. Even just the threat of this combo can zone out enemies.
- Blitzcrank has a strong advantage when the enemy pushes you back towards your tower, look for openings to pull enemies into your own tower.
Mid Game - (Level 7-12)
- Focus on disabling the enemy carry (or whoever else had a strong early game) you can shut them down quite easily in fights
- Blitzcrank's ultimate has a low cooldown, don't be afraid to use it to clear a minion wave if required. (Although preferably you want to let another teammate get the minions).
- Blitzcrank is great at pushing and defending towers thanks to his free speed boost from Overdrive. You can also start roaming during this stage.
Late Game - (Level 13-18)
- Keep your focus on the enemy carry or support, you can easily take them out of the fight.
- The silence on Blitzcrank's ultimate can devastate multiple enemies, use it when you are surrounded by several enemies for maximum effectiveness.
- Use Power Fist and your ultimate to stop any enemies using channelled ultimates, these are very deadly late game (Katarina, Fiddlesticks etc.)
- Be aware of who has a Banshee's Veil, as this can disrupt your standard combo.
Other Blitzcrank Guides and Pages
- Blitzcrank Build Guide - Not Enough mana (Solomid)
As the highest rated Blitzcrank guide on Solomid you'll gain a wealth of knowledge on how to play an effective support.
- Blitzcrank Build Guide - One Grab Can Change The Game (Solomid)
Another one of the better Blitzcrank guides available at Solomid.
- LeagueCraft - Lanecrank, How To Dominate
Learn how to dominate during the early-mid game with Blitzcrank.
- Mobafire: Blitzcrank Build Guide - All About Blitzcrank
If you are looking to play a different Blitzcrank then this Blitzcrank guide covers AP, AD and Jungle Blitzcrank.