League of Legends - ChoGath Guide and Build (Top, Mid and Jungle)
League of Legends - ChoGath Guide and Build (Top, Mid and Jungle)
Are you looking for a ChoGath guide or a ChoGath build? This page covers the basics of playing ChoGath (Top, Mid and Jungle) effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
ChoGath is a tanky caster champion with good team utility. ChoGath packs a silence, a knock-up disable and a strong single target nuke. He also has a unique ultimate that makes him grow in size as he feasts on enemy minions or champions. ChoGath is very flexible and can be played in top, mid and even in the jungle.
This ChoGath guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing ChoGath, it is recommended for people just starting to use ChoGath.
Don't own ChoGath? Or want to get one of the amazing ChoGath skins from the Riot Games store for free? Get free Riot Points now.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v220.127.116.11
This Morgana guide is also available in summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is ChoGath Too Strong?
Is ChoGath Over Powered?
Carnivore (Passive) ChoGath's passive is a great laning ability, allowing him to dominate a lane or jungle thanks to the sustainability it offers. While the health and mana regeneration may seem small if you can effectively score last hits it can be very hard to force ChoGath from lane.
Rupture (Q) A strong form of crowd control that can easily shut down a few enemies during a teamfight. This skill does take some getting used to during the delay but after a few games you'll have no problem landing these.
Feral Scream (W) A strong area of effect silence, that has a large duration. This spell is particularly great against any low range caster like Ryze and Annie, as you can silence them well before they can cause any damage. This skill helps ChoGath to dominate AP champions in lane.
Vorpal Spikes (E) This ability helps mostly in lane to grab last hits and gives your auto-attacks a small damage boost, working especially great with ChoGath's passive. It works great for pushing lanes or just getting that little bit of extra damage in teamfights. Don't forget that you can toggle it on and off.
Feast (Ultimate) A massive single target nuke that deals that gives ChoGath a deadly combo. This skill also helps ChoGath tank up thanks to the extra health it offers, you always want to make sure you've got full stacks up.
ChoGath Skill Order - (Top/Mid ChoGath Skill Order Shown)
As ChoGath you want to level your skills as follows:
(Ult) > Feral Scream > Rupture > Vorpal Spikes
Rupture at level 1 is your best bet for abilities, it allows you to disable multiple allies quite effectively and gives you some ranged harassment, this works well for jungle invades or protection from early jungle ganks. Maxing Feral Scream first is your best option due to the silence it offers and how easy it is to hit.
From here you'll want to go for Rupture second for the damage it offers and finish up with Vorpal Strikes.
As Jungle ChoGath you want to open with Vorpal Strikes (and get 3 ranks in it) before moving onto Feral Scream and Rupture.
Red (Marks) - Magic Penetration // Attack Speed
Yellow (Seals) - Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance Per Level // Magic Resistance
Purple (Quintessences) - Ability Power // Health // Movement Speed
Magic Penetration Marks are your best option to boost ChoGath's damage output although Attack Speed will increase your jungle speed if you are playing Jungle ChoGath.
Armor Seals are great for both jungling and laning as they will reduce the damage from minions and your lane opponent (for top lane). Combined with Magic Resistance Glyphs this rounds out your early game defenses. I recommend using Magic Resistance for mid lane (to reduce early-mid game damage) and Magic Resistance Per Level for top lane (to reduce late game damage).
Quintessences have a few options including Ability Power (for extra damage output), Health to boost your defenses or Movement Speed to help you land your skillshots, roam and gank.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
ChoGath Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash and Ignite are your core summoner spells for ChoGath. Flash gives you the ability to escape from ganks while also allowing you to Flash onto enemies for kills. While Ignite combines well with ChoGath's damage to give you some extra damage.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
If you are playing Jungle ChoGath you want to switch out Ignite for Smite to secure buffs and improve jungle speed. Teleport is also a decent mastery as it allows you to gain an item advantage or move around the map quickly to secure objectives for your team.
More LoL Pages
- Monthly Riot Point Giveaways (Win Free RP)
- League of Legends Mastery Guide: A Guide To LoL Masteries
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends: Rune Pages Guide
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- Find A New MOBA With This Large Database on GamesLikeFinder.com
This setup focuses on giving you great lane sustain and durability while also giving you extra damage through the bonus magic penetration mastery.
The offense tree offers improved Ignite, some ability power, cooldown reduction and some magic penetration. If you struggle with last-hitting consider placing some points into Butchery instead.
While the defense tree focuses on reducing incoming damage from minions and your lane opponent and also picking up some health. For mid lane you want to run 3 points in Magic Resistance while top lane will want to run 3 points in Armor.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
(Top/Mid and Jungle Build)
Final Item Build:
-Athene's Unholy Grail
-Open with Boots of Speed and Health Potions, this gives you the extra movement speed and some early game lane sustain.
-Your early game item goals are Glacial Shroud (top lane) or Chalice of Harmony (mid lane), these both offer you some mana/mana regeneration and some resistances against your lane opponent. You can also look at building gold generation items such as Heart of Gold and Philosopher's Stone (especially for jungle ChoGath).
-From here you'll want to look at finishing your boots, Mercury's Treads are always a good default choice but ChoGath can also build Sorcerer's Shoes for more damage or Ninja Tabi against AD heavy teams.
-Your next focus is on building up your damage output with items like Rabadon's Deathcap and Abyssal Scepter.
-Final game items focus on boosting your defenses with items like Frozen Heart and Randuin's Omen.
-Wit's End (If you want more consistent damage this scales well with Vorpal Spikes).
-Void Staff (If the enemy team starts to get durable).
-Banshee's Veil (If the enemy is AP heavy).
-Deathfire Grasp (If you want some extra burst damage).
Related League of Legends Guides
ChoGath Champion Spotlight - By Riot Games
ChoGath Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to keep your feast stacks up! If you happen to die you want to make this a priority.
- Always be on the look out for low health targets during team fights, ChoGath is a powerful finisher with Feast.
- Concentrate your crowd control skills on the enemy carries and supports, ChoGath has two very strong disables.
- Always consider what your team needs, some games you might need to build more Ability Power to boost your teams damage output. Other games you may need to focus on tank items to give your squishy characters protection.
- Don't forget to toggle Vorpal Spikes off when attacking a tower with an enemy champion nearby, this will prevent you from drawing tower aggro. You also need to becareful about activating this during the laning phase as it will mean you push the lane to far.
Level 1-6 (Early Game Tips)
- Try to grab those vital last hits to trigger your passive, this will keep your health high and replenish mana for your abilities.
- Use Feral Scream to harass the enemy, it is particularly effective against melee characters as it punishes them for grabbing last hits.
- When you hit level 6 you should start looking to kill your lane opponent by combining Rupture, Feral Scream, your ultimate and Ignite.
- Don't forget that your first item should depend on your lane opponent (magic resistance or armor focused).
Level 7-12 (Mid Game Tips)
- Start roaming the map and ganking enemies with your strong disables.
- ChoGath offers a lot to mid game duels due to his strong disables and burst damage, you always want to be there when these fights break out.
- Keep building up your Feasts stacks using minions or jungle creeps.
- Start considering your build path based on how well your team and the enemy team is doing. If they have a fed caster for example, a Banshee's Veil would be a high priority.
Level 13-18 (Late Game Tips)
- By now you should know what role you are fulfilling in the current game, be it tanky disabler or strong AP damage dealer.
- Focus on landing your Rupture on enemies that overextend, saving Feral Scream for the supports and casters.
- Dying and losing stacks is very costly at this stage of the game, be aware that if you die you will be more vulnerable to damage.
- ChoGath Build Guide - Monster Mid (Solomid)
This ChoGath guide over at Solomid focuses on playing ChoGath in the mid lane. It also includes an item analysis and lane matchup discussion.
- ChoGath Build Guide - Real Terror (Solomid)
This guide focuses on Top ChoGath and is a great resource thanks to the detailed matchup section.
- Mobafire: ChoGath Build Guide - A Return To a Forgotten Deity
This ChoGath build offers a unique build based on attack sped and Vorpal Strikes which can be very deadly.