- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
League of Legends - Galio Guide and Build
League of Legends - Galio Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Galio guide or a Galio build? This page covers the basics of playing Galio effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Galio is a mage, tank and support character all in one making him an extremely powerful champion. His ultimate is similar to Amumu's and can neutralise a whole team when used correctly. He also offers great utility through his aoe slow, strong shield and even his speed up ability.
This guide will mainly focus on playing Galio in the mid lane (as an AP champion) but also covers some support Galio aspects.
This Galio guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Galio, it is recommended for people just starting to use Galio.
Don't own Galio? Or want to get your hands on a Galio skin? Learn how to get your own free Riot Point codes for League of Legends.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v184.108.40.206
This Galio guide is also available in summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Galio Over Powered?
Do You Think Galio Is Over Powered?
Runic Skin (Passive) Galio's passive allows him to deal more damage while becoming more resistant to enemy spells. Thus allowing Galio to be a tank and heavy magic dealer.
Resolute Smite (Q) This is you main offensive ability that also packs a hefty area of effect slow, giving you great team utility. It also allows you to quickly farm minion waves.
Bulwark (W) Bulwark can be cast on Galio and allies, it provides a decent amount of armor and magic resistance as well as healing Galio as he (or the ally with Bulwark) is attacked. Bulwark synergises great with his ultimate and adds to Galio's support and tanking ability. Be sure to activate it before using your ultimate or casting your skills as the magic resistance provided from it also increased your damage thanks to your passive.
Righteous Gust (E) An easy to hit long range spell that also speeds up allies that travel in the same direction, this move will also aid your farming with Resolute Smite.
Idol of Durand (Ultimate) This is Galio's signature move and is a great team fight initiator, you should never waste this on a single champion. You should always be aiming for a minimum of 3 champions late game.
Galio Skill Order
Generally the best way to level your skills is:
Idol(Ult) > Resolute Smite > Righteous Gust > Bulwark
Resolute Smite is maxed first as it is easy to hit and packs a hefty slow, giving it great utility for both AP Galio and Support Galio. For your 2nd skill you can max either Bulwark or Righteous Gust, if you need to tank up quickly and the game is team fight orientated max Bulwark second. Otherwise you can max Righteous Gust to give you great poke damage while also helping you quickly farm minion waves.
Galio Runes - Runes for Galio
Red (Marks) - Magic Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Mana Regeneration Per Level // Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Ability Power Per Level // Magic Resistance
Purple (Quintessences) - Ability Power // Health // Movement Speed
Magic penetration on Marks gives your spells an extra kick early game, Mana Regeneration Seals help maintain your mana pool while Armor a helps reduce any physical damage you take (great on support Galio). Magic resist on Glyphs are a strong choice as they boost your defenses while also giving you some ability power. AP Galio will want to consider Ability Power on Quintessences but support Galio can consider Health and Movement Speed.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Galio Summoner Spells
Top Summoner Spells:
Flash and Ignite are strong summoner spells for an aggressive AP Galio. They allow you to setup great ultimates for your team and provide great burst damage.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
There are two other possible summoner spells for Galio which move him into a supportive role (Exhaust and Teleport). Exhaust allows you to shut down the enemy carry while Teleport boosts your map control and presence.
- Claim Your Free RP In The Monthly Giveaway
- League of Legends Mastery Guide: A Guide To LoL Masteries
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends: Rune Pages Guide
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- MOBA Games List - Your Favourite Genre On A Single List
Galio Masteries - AP Galio - 21/0/9
21/0/9 provides plenty of burst damage for Galio and is your best option if you are playing in the middle lane. If you are looking to play support Galio then consider running a 9/21/0 setup for the extra durability but still picking up the magic penetration from the offense tree.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
(Playing AP Galio)
Final Item Build:
-Athene's Unholy Grail
-Opening with Boots of Speed & 3 Health Potions is a great game opening for the movement speed and regeneration it offers.
-Your early game choices revolve around Doran's Ring and Chalice of Harmony to boost your ability to harass.
-When you next return to base you want to build your Mercury's Treads.
-From here you'll want to build up your Athene's Unholy Grail and Abyssal Scepter which give you great damage output while also making you very durable. Alternatively if the enemy team has lots of interrupts you may want to complete an early Banshee's Veil so that you can use your ultimate more easily.
-Your final items should be a Frozen Heart, which provides lots of cooldown reduction and a nice support aura for your team. Along with a Rabadon's Deathcap for the added damage output.
-Rod of Ages (A solid early game item if your are struggling).
-Guardian Angel (Boosts both your resistances).
-Randuin's Omen (If you need some extra armor).
Other Champion Guides
Galio Champion Spotlight - By RiotGames
General Galio Gameplay Tips
- Don't waste your ultimate on 1 opponent, unless it is the enemy carry and they need to be taken out.
- You can use Righteous Gust and Resolute Smite to clear entire minions waves mid game, use this to farm up as much as possible (as AP Galio)
- Always make sure you activate Bulwark on yourself before using your ultimate, you can press "ALT + W" to automatically cast it on yourself, or you can set it to "Self + Smart Cast" which will automatically case it on yourself unless your mouse is over an ally.
- Use Righteous Gust and Resolute Smite to flee chasing enemies, the combined skills will often save your life.
Early Game - (Level 1-6)
- You are powerful in most lane setups, you mainly want to focus on harassment with Resolute Smite.
- Be careful with your early game mana costs.
- Your damage is strongest in the early-mid part of the game. Take advantage of this time to farm and score early kills.
Mid Game - (Level 7-12)
- Be careful when using your ultimate on more than 2 people, at this mid stage of the game you are unlikely to survive.
- Try get some free farming time in a side lane, when a team fight starts you can teleport in quickly.
- Be aware of the situations on the map, you want to be available to join your team as your ultimate can change a team fight. If you go off by yourself have teleport up.
Late Game - (Level 13-18)
- Your primary use at this stage of the game is to harass and poke the enemies squishes with your long range spells and landing your ultimate in team fights.
- As you reach full build you are capable of using your ultimate on 4 or 5 people, look for these opportunities.
- You can clear minion waves instantly with your abilities, making you a powerful pusher.
- Galio Build Guide - Support Galio (Solomid)
Definitely one of the most in depth guides to playing Galio in a supporting role and even includes a run down of the popular lane matchups.
- Galio Build Guide - The Immovable Gargoyle (Solomid)
Another great overview of Galio that offers a great run down of different item and Galio build options.
- Mobafire: Galio Build Guide - Stone Sentinel
Nusaik offers a great rundown of playing Galio. The guide is also constantly updated to reflect changes.