- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
League of Legends - Gangplank Guide and Build (Jungle and Top)
League of Legends - Gangplank Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Gangplank guide or a Gangplank build? This page covers the basics of playing Gangplank (Jungle and Top) effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Gangplank (GP) is a powerful AD champion with strong burst damage, sustain and a map wide ultimate. He is capable of fighting from range using Parley or getting into the action as a melee champion with tanky orientated items. Gangplank provides his team with great support through his Raise Morale Buff and area of effect ultimate. Gangplank also has the ability to heal himself, while removing crowd control effects.
This Gangplank guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Gangplank, it is recommended for people just starting to use Gangplank.
Don't own Gangplank? Or want to get your hands on a Gangplank skin? Learn how to get free Riot Point cards for League of Legends.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v22.214.171.124
This Gangplank guide is also available in summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Gangplank Over Powered?
Do You Think Gangplank Is Too Strong?
Grog Soaked Blade (Passive) Ganplank's passive has a nice slow effect on it that is stackable both with his melee attacks and his Parley, this can be devastating when you are able to catch someone slightly out of position, hitting them with Parley for a small slow that may allow your team to pick up the kill.
Parrrley (Q) Parrrley (Parley) is Gangplank's main offensive ability, it has a low cooldown, can critical strike while also applying on hit effects (including your passive). It makes Gangplank very deadly in the top lane as he can switch between a ranged and melee champion as needed.
Remove Scurvy (W) An amazing ability that allows Gangplank to heal himself and remove any crowd control effects on him. It is important to try to have this off cooldown as much as possible when moving around, so that you can escape any stuns and potential ganks
Raise Morale (E) This skill gives Gangplank some team utility, allowing him to give allies extra damage and movement speed. The passive effect is also a nice boost to Gangplank during the laning phase and makes him a speedy jungler.
Cannon Barrage (Ultimate) A large area of effect skill that slows enemies and deals damage. This skill is incredible when placed on top of team fights and can easily devastate the enemy team. It can also pick up some early kills/assists on low health enemies. The damage is not reliable though as cannon fire falls randomly within the area, sometime enemies will take lots of damage and sometimes they will take none.
Gangplank Skill Order - (Top Gangplank Pictured)
As Top Gangplank you want to level your skills as follows:
Ult > Parley > Raise Morale > Remove Scurvy
As Jungle Gangplank you want to level your skills as follows:
Ult > Raise Morale > Parley > Remove Scurvy
You want to max Parley as soon as possible as it is your main form of damage and lane harassment (as Top Gangplank), while maxing Raise Morale second gives you a number of good stat boosts. Remove Scurvy is left until last as it is mainly used for the crowd control breaking utility it provides. If you are in a tough lane match-up though and need the extra sustainability then maxing it second is acceptable.
Jungle Gangplank follows a similar skill order except you want to max Raise Morale first for the increased stats (and thus jungle speed). The active also helps you gank successfully.
Red (Marks) - Armor Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Attack Damage // Health
Top Gangplank follows a standard rune page for top lane focusing on damage (Marks/Quintessences) and defenses (Seals/Glyphs). Armor Penetration Marks help you get passed the enemies armor while Attack Damage Quintessences help you last hit minions and scales with Parley. Alternatively you can run Health on Quintessences to boost your survivability.
Armor Seals help reduce the early game damage you take from your lane opponent and minion damage. While Magic Resistance Per Level Glyphs give you some magic resistance mid-late game. If you know you are going to be laning against an AP champion, consider flat Magic Resistance instead.
For more information on runes and jungle Gangplank rune options see this Rune Guide.
Gangplank Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash and Ignite are best summoner spell options on Gangplank. Flash gives you a strong escape ability while also allowing you to catch up to enemies. While Ignite offers you an extra form of damage and can help you secure kills.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Smite is a must have if you are playing Jungle Gangplank as it allows you to secure your buffs and speed up your jungle clear times. While Exhaust and Teleport are other options for Top Gangplank, Exhaust offers your team some crowd control and Teleport can be used to help your team secure objectives or split push. A well used Teleport gangplank can be very deadly.
More League of Legends Pages
- Free RP Giveaways For League of Legends
- League of Legends Mastery Guide: A Guide To LoL Masteries
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends: Rune Pages Guide
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- MOBA Games List - Your Favourite Genre On A Single List
Gangplank Masteries - (Top Gangplank Shown)
Running Top Gangplank as a 21/9/0 gives you great damage output while also boosting your early game defenses. The offensive tree offers important masteries such as armor penetration, lifesteal, critical damage and an attack damage boost. Combing this with armor, health and reduced minion damage makes for a great Solo Top Gangplank.
If you are playing jungle Gangplank you'll want to pick up Bladed Armor for the damage reflection in the jungle. Moving some points from the offensive tree into the utility tree for the increased buff duration is also a good idea.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Gangplank has a variety of build paths available, the Gangplank build shown is a more offensive focused build. If your team needs a more durable bruiser then consider building some of the alternative items instead.
Final Item Build:
-Mercury's Treads or Ninja Tabi
-As both Top Gangplank and Jungle Gangplank you want to start out with Boots and 3 Health Potions, this provides much needed movement speed and sustain and is the standard starting items for most champions.
-As Jungle Gangplank you want to build towards your Wriggle's Lantern while Top Gangplank will want to look towards a Philosopher's Stone or Chalice of Harmony (against a top lane AP champion). Both these items give you the necessary mana to harass your lane opponent relentlessly.
-Now is the time to also look towards upgrading your boots based on the enemy team.
-From here a Trinity Force will be your main goal as it offers a number of helpful stats to Gangplank.
-Follow up items will depend heavily on the enemy team, Warmog's Armor and Atma's Imapler are a great defensive choice. While Infinity Edge and Last Whisper are great offensive choices.
-Don't forget that if your team needs you to tank up to focus on building some of the alternatives below.
-Randuin's Omen (A strong armor and health boost with a great active).
-Guardian Angel (Balances out your resistances and offers a nice passive).
-Banshee's Veil (A great go to magic resistant item thanks to the health and mana it also provides).
Other LoL Pages
League of Legends - Gangplank Champion Spotlight - By Riot Games
General Gangplank Tips
- Always be watching the map for opportunities to use your ultimate, it can give your allies the edge they need to score a kill or escape with their life.
- Gangplank's playstyle can change each game. Some games you will play a poke role, some you will be a tank and others you will play GP as a bruiser. At the start of the game you should be considering the build path you plan to take.
- Try to keep Remove Scurvy off cooldown when the enemy is near, it has a reasonable cooldown and is a must have to escape any crowd control effects.
- Always target squishy champions with Parley, with a few lucky critical strikes you can force them to retreat.
- Try to always finish off minions with Parley for the bonus gold and mana it provides.
- Parley works great as a harassment tool and a farming tool. Early game you have to be careful with your mana management though.
- Try to avoid using Remove Scurvy during these early game stages, the heel is only a small amount and the mana cost is heavy. You mainly want to be saving this skill to escape jungle ganks.
- Depending on the lane matchup you will have to play an aggressive style of Gangplank (Parley harassment) or a defensive/farming Gangplank (Parley farming).
- Now your Parley damage can start hurting those squishy champions especially when you are lucky to score a critical strike.
- Always be on the look out for ultimate opportunities in other lanes, not only does this help allies score kills, it can score you some free assists.
- Always use your ultimate on top of team fights, it can be devestating. It can also be used to initiate on the enemy team or block their retreat.
- Use Raise Morale before team fights to give your team a boost.
- You should be running forwards and backwards, trying to get a shot on the enemy carries or supports as your Parley can slowly dwindle them down.
- Your ultimate is now a must have in every team fight, great positioning of your ultimate can turn fights in your favour.
- Your melee attacks as Gangplank are also deadly, don't be afraid to get into the fray especially if you've built tanky.
- You should be able to chase anybody down with your passive, the slow from Trinity Force and Raise Morale.
Find More Pages Here
- Gangplank Build Guide - Top Lane Gangplank (Solomid)
This guide to Top Gangplank was written by Swedish and offers a wealth of Gangplank knowledge that is a must read for any GP fan.
- Gangplank Build Guide - Ahoy Mates S4 Guide(Solomid)
If you are looking to play Gangplank effectively in season 4 then this guide is your best bet.
- LeagueCraft - Your Summoner Spells Won't Save You
link491 offers his offensive based Gangplank build over at Leaguecraft.
- Mobafire: Gangplank Build Guide - Gangplank The Pirate King
Xeronn discusses the pros and cons of a massive number of options when playing Gangplank, very in depth and a must read for GP players.