League of Legends - Heimerdinger Guide and Build
League of Legends - Heimerdinger Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Heimerdinger guide or a Heimerdinger build? This page covers the basics of playing Heimerdinger (AP and Support) effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Heimerdinger is strong pushing champion that has the ability to place his own turrets. He offers a strong laning phase, great poke and can even heal towers around the map with his passive. It is also possible to play jungle Heimerdinger by relying on his turrets and area of effect skills.
This Heimerdinger guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Heimerdinger, it is recommended for people just starting to use Heimerdinger.
Don't own Heimerdinger? Or would you like to get a free Heimerdinger skin from the Riot store? Claim a free League of Legends RP Code.
Is Heimerdinger Over Powered?
Do You Think Heimerdinger Is Over Powered?
Techmaturgical Repair Bots (Passive) Heimerdinger's passive gives a small boost to HP regeneration which increases slowly throughout the game. This helps Heimerdinger lane (especially in passive lanes) while also healing up his own turrets during minion waves. This passive can also heal up allies and allied towers making it great for countering a push/poke reliant team composition.
H-28G Evolution Turret (Q) Heimerdinger's defining ability, these allow you to protect yourself during the laning phase and can also be used as wards. Careful placement of these is a must as if you place them to far forward you will push your lane and expose yourself to potential ganks. Turrets attack enemies that attack Heimerdinger or enemies that Heimerdinger attacks and will die if Heimerdinger dies.
Hextech Micro-Rockets (W) This skill forms the basis of Heimerdinger's harassment as it offers a big range along with good base damage. It will make your lane opponent (and later on the enemy team) hate you. They do not prioritize champions and can be combined with Rylai's Crystal Scepter for some soft crowd control.
CH-1 Concussion Grenade (E) Heimerdinger's strong offensive ability, which also comes with a blind and a stun for direct hits. It has a relatively slow travel time (unless your ultimate is on) so it is much easier to hit close enemies. End game these grenades can completely shut out the enemy AD carry with its long blind duration.
UPGRADE!!! (Ultimate) Heimerdinger's ultimate has both a passive and active ability, the passive allows you to easily reach maximum cooldown reduction of 40%. While the active aspect buffs all of Heimerdinger's abilities, the best of these boosts is that his turrets are instantly healed and gain a slowing effect which makes it a great way to stop incoming attackers. The active also provides Heimerdinger with more rockets and a faster travelling grenade.
Heimerdinger Skill Order
The best way to level your skills as Heimerdinger is: Ult > Rocket > Turret > Grenade
Turret is best to take at level 1 as it allows you to have a turret in reserve (takes ~25secs) and also allows you to use it as a ward to protect your jungle.
Rockets should always be your first skill to max due to the harassment and damage they offer. Taking a point in grenade at level 4 also helps against jungle ganks (and helps set them up). If you are up against an aggressive lane opponent consider getting rank 3 of turrets as soon as possible to unlock two turrets (and provide some extra protection).
If you are looking to play Jungle Heimerdinger then you want to max turrets first.
Heimerdinger Runes - Rune Options For Heimerdinger
Red (Marks) - Magic Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Mana Regeneration Per Level
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance // Ability Power Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Movement Speed // Ability Power // Health
This Heimerdinger rune setup is your standard choice for most casters. Running Magic Penetration Marks will increase your damage output while Mana Regeneration Per Level Seals will help maintain your mana levels.
Glyphs can either be defensive with Magic Resistance or offensive with Ability Power Per Level, although Heimerdinger has low AP ratios so Magic Resistance will serve you better. I personally really like Movement Speed Quintessences on Heimerdinger as he is very reliant on positioning (and has one of the lowest base movement speeds). Alternatively you can run Health or Ability Power in this slot.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Heimerdinger Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash and Ignite offer Heimerdinger the escape ability he needs along with the extra damage to finish off enemies.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Heimerdinger has some other summoner spell options available to him. Ghost can be used in combination with Flash to create a very movable (and safe) Heimerdinger. Teleport is another summoner spell option as it gives your team great map control and allows you to easily push lanes, which Heimerdinger already excels at. Finally, Exhaust is another option that provides Heimerdinger some decent crowd control and is a good defensive option.
Other League of Legends Pages
- How To Get Free Riot Points For League of Legends
- League of Legends Mastery Guide: A Guide To LoL Masteries
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends: Rune Pages Guide
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- Games Finder - Your Home For MOBA Gaming
Heimerdinger Masteries - Building Heimerdinger 21/0/9
Running a 21/0/9 Heimerdinger mastery setup offers improved damage output while also offering some utility benefits. If you want to play a more defensive Heimerdinger consider a 9/21/0 setup.
The offensive tree offers ability power, cooldown reduction and magic penetration. While the utility tree offers maximum mana, movement speed and increased buff duration.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Items For Heimerdinger
Final Item Build:
-Athene's Unholy Grail
-Rod of Ages
-Rylai's Crystal Scepter
-Start with Boots of Speed & 3 Health Potions, this allows you to stay safe and recover any damage you take.
-First trip back you want to look towards building a Chalice of Harmony, this gives you the mana regeneration you need while also boosting your defenses and later will form a key item of this Heimerdinger build.
-You can also consider grabbing a Doran's Ring (or 2) if you need some extra survivability, damage and regeneration.
-From here you want to look at grabbing your Sorcerer Shoes and a Rabadon's Deathcap if you are doing well. If you are struggling in lane consider making Rod of Ages your first item.
-Other important items to look at building during the mid stages of the game include Rylai's Crystal Scepter for the health and slow it offers. Along with Athene's Unholy Grail for the damage and cooldown reduction (gets you up to the 39% with your passive and masteries, out of a max 40%).
-Late game you want to consider a Zhonya's Hourglass for the armor it offers. It also this gives you two seconds of safety for your turrets to attack the enemy (and reduce your cooldowns).
-Banshee's Veil (For protection from enemy spells).
-Void Staff (To counter enemy magic resistance).
Other League of Legends Guides
League of Legends Heimerdinger Build
General Heimerdinger Gameplay Tips
- Always have turrets up when you plan to stay somewhere for a while, you are relatively defenseless without them. Also always be aware of how many turrets you have in reserve.
- Concentrate on staying at the back of team fights and using your rockets and grenades to poke the enemy.
- Placing turrets in bushes and using your ultimate as a champion walks through combined with your grenade and rocket can lead to a very easy kill.
- The timing of your ultimate is vital, too early and your enemies will back away, too late and you may already be dead.
- Get good at hitting your grenades, for melee champions (especially when ganking) let them come close to you, allowing an easy grenade hit and stun.
- Be careful about running off alone especially when your summoner spells and ultimate are on cooldown.
Early Game - (Level 1-6)
- Stick close to your team and use your turret as a jungle ward if you are worried about an invasion.
- As with any other champion, concentrate on last hitting minions, while keeping your maximum number of turrets up (1 or 2). You don't want these near enemy minions though as it will push the lane too hard. You simply want them there as protection. As you play Heimerdinger more you will be able to find the balance easier.
- As Heimerdinger you will be a constant target of ganks as you are very hard to lane against, don't forget to buy wards or use a turret as a ward.
- When the enemy minion wave only has two minions left you can use your rockets to land easy damage.
Mid Game - (Level 7-12)
- Heimerdinger offers great Dragon control, you can either use them to quickly take Dragon with your team or use them as defensive wards.
- You should also be able to one hit the wraith and wolf camp with your grenade & rocket by now. The wraith camp can be killed from mid-lane, so it never hurts to pick up some extra gold.
- During this stage of the game you can use your pushing power to put pressure on your lane opponent and roam the map looking for kill opportunities.
Late Game - (Level 13-18)
- Be sure to activate your ultimate every team fight for the extra rockets and slow from your turrets.
- Heimerdinger is a very strong pusher, use this to your advantage during the late stages of the game. Use your turrets and long range abilities to poke down the enemy.
- You can use your turrets to setup traps for the enemy that can be deadly during this stage of the game (with the help of your team).
- Your turrets can be easily destroyed at this stage of the game, use them as scouting tools or at the back of team fights for the slow/extra damage they provide.
Other Heimerdinger Builds and Pages
- Heimerdinger Build Guide - Advanced Heimerdinger (Solomid)
This Heimerdinger guides over at Solomid offers endless advanced tips and discussion on how to play Heimerdinger along with a great analysis of champion match-ups.
- Heimerdinger Build Guide - For Great Science! (Solomid)
Another one of the good Heimerdinger guides. This one was put together by Redrum and offers a number of hints regarding turret placement and strategies.
- Mobafire: Heimerdinger Build Guide - His Brain Is Larger Than Yours
This Heimerdinger build by Vynertje is the top rated guide on Mobafire.