League of Legends - Jax Guide and Build
League of Legends - Season 3 Jax Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Season 3 Jax guide or a Jax build? This page covers the basics of playing Jax effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Jax is a strong anti-physical DPS with some powerful burst damage and magic damage to compliment his strong physical attacks. Jax also packs an area of effect stun and 100% dodge chance (for a short duration).
This Jax guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Jax, it is recommended for people just starting to use Jax.
Don't own Jax? Or want to get one of the many Jax skins available from the Riot store? Learn how to get free Riot Points.
Guide current as of Season 3: Release Notes v3.02
This Jax guide is also available in quick summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Jax Over Powered?
Do You Think Jax Is Over Powered?
Relentless Assault (Passive) Jax's passive rewards him for surviving (and fighting) in drawn out fights, making him a great 1v1 duelist and very deadly in prolonged team fights.
Leap Strike (Q) Allows Jax to close the gap between his opponents and get out of the battle when needed, a great ability both offensively and defensively. Don't forget that it works on wards and allies.
Empower (W) Adds a large amount of bonus damage to Jax's next attack can be devastating when combined with Leap Strike. The low mana cost and cooldown makes it your number one skill for at all stages of the game.
Counter-Strike (E) This skill allows Jax to dodge all basic attacks and reduce incoming damage for a short duration and then stun enemies around him (with damage). Timing this skill perfectly separates the good from the great Jax players. It can also be very hard to lane against.
Grandmaster's Might (Ultimate) Gives Jax an extra punch every few attacks and also makes him quite tanky towards the end of the game, this is another skill that requires careful timing.
Jax Skill Order
As Jax you want to level your skills as follows:
Ultimate > Empower > Counter Strike > Leap Strike
By maxing Empower first you gain incredible burst damage early-mid game, which can help you wither down enemies or lane or surprise an enemy with your burst damage. Maxing Counter Strike second greatly reduces its cooldown allowing you to potentially use it multiple times ina fight (massive advantage). You will then want to finish up with Leap Strike.
If you find yourself not using Counter Strike much in your lane then you can consider putting some points into Leap Strike instead as it gives the damage a decent boost, making you more deadly.
Red (Marks) - Attack Damage
Yellow (Seals) - Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance Per Level // Ability Power Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Health // Attack Damage // Movement Speed
Attack damage Marks will give Jax the edge he needs to last hit and deal damage in the earlier exchanges (as he takes abit to get started). While armor Seals are standard on any top laner to reduce incoming damage.
Glyphs can either be run as magic resistance per level (defensive option) or as Ability Power per level (offensive) as Jax has good some good AP ratios behind him. Health on Quintessences is a good safe choice on Jax as he is reasonably weak for the first few levels. Alternatively you can run more attack damage or movement speed if it suits your playstyle.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Jax Summoner Spells
Summoner Spells for Jax
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash and Ignite are very powerful on Jax allowing him to leap and Flash around the battlefield with ease. While Ignite boosts his strong burst damage potential and helps to secure those early-mid games kills (and let you snowball from there).
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Other viable summoner spell options on Jax include Exhaust, Teleport and Ghost. Exhaust boosts your already powerful 1v1 presence and allows you to completely shut out physical champions. Teleport works well if you use it aggressively in top lane to support your team with kills or securing objectives (towers/dragon).
Ghost is not a bad option due to Jax's lack of crowd control (stun is to short and on a large cooldown to be reliable for chasing) until you build Trinity Force (slow), Ghost allows you to better chase down enemies.
Related League of Legends Pages
- Free Riot Point Giveaways From Free-Riot-Points.com
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- MOBA Game Database - The Ultimate List of MOBAs
Jax Masteries - Jax As A 9/21/0
This Jax mastery setup focuses on improving your survivability. 9 points in the offensive tree gives you some attack damage, speed and armor penetration. While Jax deals a mixture of magic and physical damage armor penetration works better due to the large amounts of auto-attacks he still relies on.
The defensive tree offers Jax plenty of defensive benefits to make his laning much stronger. If you are playing ranked and know you are up against an AP top laner then move some points into Resistance for some more magic resistance. The Enlightenment mastery towards the bottom of this tree is very important due to Jax's large cooldowns (except Empower) and will help you more often than a 1.5% damage reduction.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Final Item Build:
-Ninja Tabi or Mercury's Treads
-Your best starting option is Boots & Health Potions when playing Jax.
-First trip back you want to grab a few Doran's Blades as this provides you with some health, life-steal and more attack damage (on top of runes).
-On your first trip back you want to grab (or start building towards) either Ninja Tabi or Mercury's Treads, Ninja Tabi should be your default but on teams with lots of crowd control you should take Mercury's Treads.
-Next you want to look at a Vampiric Scepter and Bilgewater Cutlass, this gives you some more staying power and allows you to start clearing jungle camps easily.
-Now you will need to start working on your Trinity Force, I prefer to build the Phage first for the slow and health it offers.
-It is now time to finish your second big ticket item which is Hextech Gunblade.
-From here all your items are defensive in nature and should include a Guardian's Angel, Banshee's Veil and Randuin's Omen.
-Wit's End (If the enemy is AP focused but you want more damage)
-Maw of Malmortius (Basically the same reason as Wit's End)
-Quicksilver Sash (If you are getting shut out by crowd control)
More League of Legends Champion Guides
Jax Champion Spotlight - By Riot Games
General Jax Tips
- You should use Leap Strike to get in and out of team fights, leaping to the back of the enemy and taking out their main damage dealer should be your goal (while also stunning as many as possible)
- Use minions to build up your passive attack speed stacks (while you are waiting for a fight to start), these stacks are incredible in team fights if you can manage to go in with a few.
- Jax is better when your opponent fights back (thanks to the added damage your stun will do), you should not be running from a 1v1 fight with a physical based champion. Even in some 2v1 situations Jax's area of effect stun can allow him to win the battle.
Early Game (1-6)
- Jax is a weak laner, be careful and concentrate on getting as many last hits as possible while staying healthy.
- Combine Empower and Leap Strike to harass your opponents.
- Jax is a character that can't afford to fall behind, if the enemy harassment is too much either ask for a a jungler to gank or play super passive, with Empower you can easily last hit under a tower.
Mid Game (7-12)
- Jax is a very powerful mid-game champion as he packs a lot of burst harassment
- Once you build your Vampiric Scepter you can start clearing the jungle minions for extra farm without it impacting on your health too much.
- Your main priority during this stage of the game should be to gank enemies that are out of position, jungle when appropriate and help your team. This is vital to transition Jax into late game.
Late Game (13-18)
- Choose carefully when to initiate, Jax is best used to flank the enemy and using Leap Strike to take out the enemies damage dealers and support champions (either killing or disabling with stun).
- Be aware of your position in team fights, when your stun is available position yourself to stun multiple enemies.
- Using Leap Strike will help you chase down any fleeing champions.
- Be sure to carefully time the activation of your ultimate before entering a team fight, the bonus resistances are often vital to survival.
Other Jax Guides and LoL Pages
- Jax Build Guide - Refit and Reloaded (Solomid)
One of the best Jax guides available on solomid it discusses a number of his gameplay mechanics.
- Jax Build Guide - Here's to you kid (Solomid)
Written by Dyrus this Jax Guide covers all the important considerations to be made when playing Jax.
- LeagueCraft - Comphrehensive Jax Guide
Pyropimp has developed one of the best Jax guides available. He goes into great depth for each stage of the game and item decisions.
- Mobafire: Jax Build Guide - Mr. Jax
87alphaone brings his unique perspective and even some math to create a great Jax build overview.