- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
League of Legends - Lux Guide and Build (AP and Support)
League of Legends - Season 3 Lux Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Season 3 Lux guide or a Lux build? This page covers the basics of playing Lux (AP and Support) effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Lux can be played as a support based champion or a powerful AP mid and is armed with both a slow and snare making her quite deadly. She also packs a damage absorbing shield and a long range laser that is great for finishing off enemies. Lux has a strong laning phase and offers great team fight control to her team with her great skill kit.
This Lux guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Lux, it is recommended for people just starting to use Lux.
Don't own Lux? Or want to get one of the many Lux skins available? Participate in RP giveaways for your chance at free Riot Points.
Guide current as of Season 3: Release Notes v3.02
This Lux guide is also available in quick summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Lux Over Powered?
Do You Feel Lux Is Over Powered?
Illumination (Passive): Lux's passive gives her a decent damage boost that is very powerful early game or against single targets during mid-game. Late game where the majority of fighting involves team fights it is often best not to use this passive as it is often too dangerous.
Light Binding (Q): A decent length snare that helps Lux hit her ultimate and secure kills or retreats for her team, the snare is capable of snaring two enemies, making it very dangerous in the laning phase as enemies are not even safe behind a minion.
Prismatic Barrier (W): A good damage absorbing shield that can help the whole team when positioned correctly, it activates twice giving double the protection. Often very under-rated during the laning phase (especially on support Lux).
Lucent Singularity (E): Lux's main damage skill, this ability has a a strong slowing effect that can both stop enemies running or hinder their advances. It can easily ruin an enemy team's initiation and can also be used to scout bushes for your team. It also doubles as a very powerful farming tool for Lux.
Finales Funkeln (Ultimate): Lux's ultimate has incredible range and a reasonably short cooldown, making it very deadly when used correctly. It can be used to pick off flee-ing enemies or used in the middle of a teamfight for massive damage to the enemy team.
Lux Skill Order
Lux should level her abilities as shown below:
Ult > Lucent Singularity > Light Binding > Prismatic Barrier
As Lux I recommend not placing a point in a skill until you know what your team's plan is. For invading (with vision) and duo-laning Light Binding is often a stronger level 1 choice. If you are in mid lane or scouting out bushes then Lucent Singularity is stronger.
Lucent Singularity is your main damage source so it is maxed first, second you should consider Light Binding for the increased damage. If you are playing support Lux you can consider maxing Prismatic Barrier second instead for the increased damage absorbing it offers.
Red (Marks) - Magic Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Mana Regeneration Per Level
Blue (Glyphs) - Ability Power Per Level // Magic Resistance
Purple (Quintessences) - Ability Power // Health // Movement Speed
Lux follows a very standard support/caster rune book. magic penetration for the extra damage it provides on Marks with mana regeneration on Seals to keep your mana pool full. Glyphs can either be Ability Power (AP - aggressive) or Magic Resistance (AP - defensive or Support) depending on your playstyle. Flat Magic Resistance is better in mid (because you will take magic damage from the start) while support Lux can run Magic Resist Per Level.
Quintessences also have a number of options based on your preferences, Ability Power is good if you want to play aggressively while Health is a good defensive choice. Alternatively, Movement Speed allows Lux to boost your mobility and potentially land more skills (and her passive).
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Lux Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash and Ignite are two amazing summoner spells for Lux. Flash is a great escape mechanism or can also be used to get you into the battle to help kill an enemy or save an ally. While Ignite boosts your damage output and helps to secure kills.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
If you play Support Lux there are a number of other summoner spells you can take on Lux. Exhaust can be taken for your team to provide your team with some more crowd control while also helping you shut down the enemy AD in bottom lane. Alternatively you can take Heal or Clairvoyance to provide you with added utility.
Other League of Legends Pages Recommended For You:
- Free RP - How To Get Riot Points For Champions & Skins
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- MOBA Games List - Your Favourite Genre On A Single List
Lux Masteries - AP Lux Masteries
Building Lux for maximum damage with a 21/0/9 setup will give you powerful damage output for the entire game. Move down the offense tree grabbing all the important Ability Power related masteries (such as cooldowns and magic penetration). Support this with 9 points in the utility tree (improved movement speed, buff duration and mana).
If you play a support Lux then consider running a 9/0/21 setup (taking relevant support spells).
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
AP Lux Build
Final Item Build:
-Rod of Ages
-Athene's Unholy Grail
-Start with Boots + 3 Health Potions.
-First trip back you should consider picking up one or two Doran's Rings for the extra health, ability power and most importantly mana regeneration that they provide.
-If you are performing well then your first goal should be to build towards a Rabadon's Deathcap. If you find yourself struggling in the lane then consider a Rod of Ages or Chalice of Harmony first. Both these items offer some form of defenses and also add to your mana pool or regeneration allowing for more harassment or farming.
-Once you have complete the above three items then you should consider looking towards items like Abyssal Scepter and Zhonya's Hourflass as they both provide great utility along with improving your survivability.
-Banshee's Veil (Another great defensive item thanks to the spell bubble).
-Void Staff (If the enemy starts building significant magic resistance).
-Will of the Ancients (If you have an AP heavy team, also provides some decent sustain in teamfights).
Support Lux Build
Final Item Build:
-Boots of Lucidity
-Aegis of the Legion
-Athene's Unholy Grail
-Start with a Faerie Charm, Health Potions and Wards. This will give you some mana regeneration and also vision of your lane. I recommend at least 3 wards (amount of potions will depend on whether you have the gold starting mastery or not).
-First trip back you want to buy your Boots of Speed and more wards.
-Also build towards a Philosopher's Stone and either a Heart of Gold or Kage's Lucky Pick for gold generation.
-Aegis of the Legion should always be your first support item as it provides great team stats. Also consider upgrading to a Shurelya's Reverie.
-From here you'll want to look at either Frozen Heart and Zeke's Herald depending on your teams needs. If you are struggling for mana or want to pack an extra damage punch consider Athene's Unholy Grail.
-Don't forget to keep buying wards throughout the game!
-Banshee's Veil (A good defensive item).
-Will of the Ancients (If you have an AP heavy team).
Related Champion Guides
Lux Champion Spotlight - By Riot Games
General Lux Tips
- Be aware of your allies position in team fights and re-position yourself to shield the maximum number of allies possible, you can re-position yourself after you first cast to change its direction.
- Your ultimate is good for both the start and end of team fights. Use it when you can hit maximum enemies for maximum damage.
- You must use your passive to increase your damage during early game, be very careful about using it late game though as it will put you in harms way.
- Lux's range on her abilities is fairly large, use this to your advantage and stay at the back of team fights.
- Lux is very skill shot-based, learn to lead your opponents and use Lucent Singularity to slow enemies, allowing for easier hits.
Early Game Level 1-6
- During the laning phase you want to harass with Lucent Singularity and your passive, you can also use it to check bushes and deny the enemy of last hitting and experience.
- Your best laning partner is someone who can unleash lots of damage on a snared target, Garen is a perfect example.
- Do not use your Light Binding on minions, its cooldown is long and it should be saved for catching your enemies or stopping any acts of aggression towards you and your laning partner.
- If you are in a solo lane then your focus should be on last hits and harassing your opponent from range Lucent Singularity.
Mid Game Level 7-12
- Do not use your ultimate on minions unless stopping a tower push or starting one, as it can quickly reduce or build up minions.
- Lux is a really good ganking champion when her slow and snare are combined, grab a partner and gank some enemies.
- Be sure to be there for your team, you want to build your assists so you become a threat late game.
- At level 7-9 you can one hit caster minions by using Lucent Singularity and your passive, use this to farm up during this time.
Late Game Level 13-18
- Lux takes on more of a supporting role now as it is dangerous to try trigger her passive, although you can still cause a lot of hurt 1v1.
- Grab blue buff and buy blue elixirs as needed, you want to reach full cooldown reduction (40%) to be most effective in team fights.
- Save enemies from being chased with your slow and snare combo.
- Your ultimate has an incredibly low cooldown and can hurt squishy characters, use it appropriately.
Related Lux Builds
- LoLPro - Lux Build Guide by Elementz
A guide to playing Lux as an AP carry written by Elementz.
- Lux Build Guide - #1 Lux Guide (Solomid)
fAnNie BanDiT gives a very in depth and quality Lux guide over at solomid.
- Lux Build Guide - Stoning's Lasertastic (Solomid)
This Lux guide by Stoning covers many different gameplay elements and includes a massive collection of screenshots.
- Mobafire: Lux Build Guide - Long Distance Supporting
A Support Lux guide on Mobafire.