- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
League of Legends - Malphite Guide and Build (Jungle and Top)
League of Legends - Malphite Guide and Build (Jungle and Top)
Are you looking for a Malphite guide or a Malphite build? This page covers the basics of playing Malphite (Jungle and Top) effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Malphite is a powerful tank that can also jungle. He excels at the laning phase thanks to his Granite Shield passive that prevents harassment and his ability to poke with Seismic Shard. Malphite also has strong area of effect skills and powerful initiation, making him a great champion for any team.
This Malphite guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Malphite, it is recommended for people just starting to use Malphite.
Don't own Malphite? Or want to get a Malphite skin from the League of Legends store? Learn how to get free League of Legends points.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v126.96.36.199.
This Malphite guide is also available in summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Does Malphite Need A Nerf?
Is Malphite Over Powered?
Granite Shield (Passive) Malphite's passive is great at preventing lane harassment and also gives him a slight boost to his tanking ability throughout the game, especially against poke orientated teams.
Seismic Shard (Q) An amazing lane harassment tool that packs a strong slowing aspect (that also gives Malphite a move speed boost) making Malphite a strong chaser.
Brutal Strikes (W) This skill offers a powerful defensive boost to Malphite while also giving him some good area of effect damage. By activating this skill you can increase the power of Malphite's Ground Slam (as Armor increases its damage output). You can combine this ability with Ground Slam to also clear minion waves quickly.
Ground Slam (E) A very powerful area of effect skill that is great against physical opponents as it also lowers attack speed of enemies. Ground Slam scales with armor, so it works well with Brutal Strikes and also makes Armor an important Malphite build consideration.
Unstoppable Force (Ultimate) Malphite's ultimate is an amazing initiation skill, disabling numerous enemies at once. This skill works especially well when combined with Ground Slam and Ignite, allowing Malphite to burst down squishy enemies. It can also be used as an escape mechanism when required.
Malphite Skill Order - (Top Malphite Skill Order Shown)
Generally the best way to level your abilities as Top Malphite is:
Unstoppable Force (Ult) > Seismic Shard > Ground Slam > Brutal Strikes
Generally the best way to level your abilities as Jungle Malphite is:
Unstoppable Force (Ult) > Ground Slam > Seismic Shard > Brutal Strikes
Malphite is very flexible with his skill order which will change based on the game. As Top Malphite you generally want to max Seismic Shard first for the poke damage it offers (and the strong slow to help your jungler gank). However, if you are up against an auto-attack reliant champion consider maxing Ground Slam first to reduce their attack speed and greatly impact their damage output, allowing you to win exchanges.
It is best to not place any points in Brutal Strikes during the laning phase as it will push the lane (exposing you to ganks).
As Jungle Malphite you want to grab at least 2 or 3 points in Ground Slam for jungle speed (then prioritizing Seismic Shard for the extra slow). As Jungle Malphite you also definitely want to grab a point in Brutal Strikes at level 2 for the boost in jungle speed it provides.
Coral Reef Malphite
Malphite Runes - Runes For Malphite (Top Malphite Shown)
Red (Marks) - Magic Penetration // Attack Speed
Yellow (Seals) - Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Health // Movement Speed
Magic Penetration on Marks will ensure Malphite's harassment through his Seismic Shard hurts even more and also allows his other skills to hit harder. Alternatively as Jungle Malphite you can use Attack Speed to boost jungle speed.
Defenses are covered by Armor Seals and Magic Resistance Per Level Glyphs while Quintessences can be Health as a defensive choice or Movement Speed for an offensive choice.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Malphite Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash and Ignite are your go to summoner spells on Malphite, Flash provides you with an escape ability and can also be used to catch your enemy off guard when combined with your ultimate. While Ignite offers an extra bit of damage that can help secure early game kills.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Of course if you are playing Jungle Malphite you want to grab Smite to secure buffs and boost jungling speed.
Malphite can also use Teleport and Exhaust as a summoner spell option. Teleport if used correctly can help your team push, secure objectives and get kills. Teleport can also let you gain an advantage over your lane if you constantly find yourself falling behind as Top Malphite. While Exhaust offers good crowd control and is a strong summoner spell choice if nobody else on your team has it.
Other Pages You Might Like
- How To Get Free Riot Point Cards
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- MOBA Games List - Your Favourite Genre On A Single List
Malphite Masteries - 0/21/9 - Top Malphite and Jungle Malphite
The Malphite masteries shown can be used for both Top and Jungle Malphite.
Malphite should focus on the defensive tree to increase his overall survivability. This tree offers armor, magic resistance, health regeneration, reduced minion damage (and minion damage reflection) and a movement speed bonus when high health.
Combine this with the utility tree for extra mana, mana regeneration and more movement speed.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
(For Jungle Malphite and Top Malphite)
Final Item Build:
-Starting out with Boots and 3 Health Potions is your best bet for both Top and Jungle Malphite as it offers you vital movement speed and some sustainability.
-First trip back you want to pick up your full boots which should be Ninja Tabi or Mercury's Treads to boost your defenses. If you are up against a lane opponent that you can bully easily consider Sorcerer's Shoes for a damage boost.
-During this early stage you also want to pick up a Philosopher's Stone to give you the mana regeneration and health regeneration you need. And combined with a Heart of Gold allows you to generate gold easily.
-From here you want to pick up either a Frozen Heart (mana, cooldown and armor) or an Abyssal Scepter (magic resistance and a boost to damage) depending on your lane matchup.
-Finishing up your Malphite build with health items for your passive and effective health is a good idea so look towards items like Sunfire Cape and Banshee's Veil.
-Trinity Force (If your team needs you to deal abit more damage).
-Force of Nature (If you need more MR).
-Rylai's Crystal Scepter (Gives Malphite some added slowing ability).
Related League of Legends Guide
League of Legends: Malphite Tutorial & Montage - By colbycheeze
General Malphite TIps
- Always be looking for ultimate opportunities, trying to catch a minimum of 2-3 people.
- Consider enemy team setup before planning your item build, also take into account who does well early (or who is generally stronger early game).
- Don't forget that activating Brutal Strikes before Ground Slam will increase its damage.
- Malphite's ultimate is great offensively and defensively. It can be used to initiate or counter initiate the enemy, either saving your allies or turning around and killing the enemy.
Early Game (1-6)
- Harass your opponent with Seismic Shard. If your opponent is auto-attack reliant then consider maxing Ground Slam first to help win exchanges.
- Pay attention to who on the enemy team is doing well with kills and minion farming, this should effect your first item path. Your first item should always depend directly on your lane.
- Your passive is great at preventing harassment, if it goes down back off alittle and let it refresh, overtime it ends up being a lot of free health.
- You can use your passive to play aggressively in lane, waiting until it comes back up before harassing the enemy again.
Mid Game (7-12)
- If you've kept your enemy low through your Seismic Shard harassment you are likely to score a kill when you unlock your ultimate, you can also co-ordinate this with your jungler.
- Use Brutal Strikes and Ground Slam to dish heavy damage to your enemies when in close range, you can also use this combo to farm minion waves.
- Malphite is a powerful ganker with his Seismic Shard and his ultimate if necessary, if a particular enemy champion is starting to snowball target them in particular.
Late Game (13-18)
- Focus on correctly initiating with your ultimate, try to get 2-3 enemies with it, preferably the high damage dealers or champions with lots of hard crowd control (stuns/suppression).
- Always have a ward in your inventory and ward key locations for your team, these locations include dragon, the enemy buffs, the river and baron.
- Initiating with your ultimate and then using Brutal Strikes and Ground Slam along with the Randuin's Omen active is very powerful, de-buffing the enemies movement and attack speed heavily.
- If your team is getting destroyed by a channeled ultimate (Fiddlesticks or Katarina), save your ultimate to stop their ultimate, it can drastically turn the fight around.
More Rock Solid Pages
- Malphite Build Guide - Crushing The Meta With Malphite (Solomid)
This Solomid Malphite Guide is by Dolphin Trainer and is extremely in depth in terms of lane matchups, ganking and items. It covers both Top Malphite and Jungle Malphite
- Malphite Build Guide - It's Fun To Be Unstoppable (Solomid)
This Jungle Malphite guide over at Solomid offers a plenty of solid advice as well as featuring a detailed section on enemy champions and how to play against them.
- Mobafire: Malphite Build Guide - Rocking Solo Top With Malphite
One of the best available Malphite guides available. Every single aspect of Malphite gameplay is considered and it is constantly updated.