- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
League of Legends - Malzahar Guide and Build
League of Legends - Malzahar Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Malzahar guide or a Malzahar build? This page covers the basics of playing Malzahar effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Malzahar is a powerful anti-carry, nuker and disabler (through suppression and silence). He is a strong AP carry, capable of destroying enemies in 1v1 encounters while also packing two area of effect abilities to help his team in teamfights. Malzahar also possess % health damage, making him great to bring down durable targets.
This Malzahar guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Malzahar, it is recommended for people just starting to use Malzahar.
Don't own Malzahar? Or want to get one of the many Malzahar skins for free? Get Your Own free Riot Points for League of Legends.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v184.108.40.206
This Malzahar guide is also available in summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Malzahar Over Powered?
Is Malzahar Too Strong?
Summon Voidling (Passive): Malzahar's passive is a nice addition to his early-mid game damage especially when you time its summon with your ultimate. The minion will target the person that you cast Malefic Visions on and auto-attack, but beyond that it is basically uncontrollable.
Call of the Void (Q): An amazing area of effect disable that can turn the tide of team fights with correct placement. It is a very hard skill-shot to hit but is very important to master as a Malzahar player. It's also a great minion farming ability and can grant vision over walls. The silence also makes Malzahar a strong laner against other AP champions.
Null Zone (W): Another great area of effect skill that is % health based, making it very powerful especially against high health targets. Combining this skill with Nether Grasp is an extremely deadly combination. Placing this underneath a teamfight is particularly effective.
Malefic Visions (E): Malzahar's main form of early game harassment, this skill also has the ability to jump from target to target while regenerating your mana, making it a very powerful lane pushing skill. This skill also returns mana when it jumps targets, meaning its effective cost to cast can be less depending on how many targets you get it to bounce between.
Nether Grasp (Ultimate): This allows Malzahar to perform an anti-carry role. It allows him to take a single enemy champion out of the fight with proper timing and also punishes people for over-extending. Try to land a Null Zone under your target before casting this for maximum damage. This skill has a low cooldown and you can use Ignite while using your ultimate. This ultimate also makes Malzahar very hard to lane against.
Malzahar Skill Order
Skill ordering should follow: Ult > Malefic Visions > Call of the Void > Null Zone
Malefic Visions is your main harassment ability in lane and also provides powerful zoning potential so it is best maxed first. From here you want to max Call of the Void to give you strong area of effect damage and the extra silence duration in team fights.
This leaves Null Zone till last. However, if you are new to Malzahar and have trouble landing Call of the Void you may consider maxing it second for the extra damage when using your ultimate.
Red (Marks) - Magic Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Mana Regeneration Per Level
Blue (Glyphs) - Ability Power Per Level // Magic Resistance
Purple (Quintessences) - Ability Power // Health // Movement Speed
Grabbing Magic Penetration Marks will boost your damage output and a standard for any caster. Mana regeneration Seals are vital to maintain your mana levels. Glyphs are best run as Ability Power Per Level to boost your damage output but can also be Magic Resistance if you want a more defensive option.
Quintessences can either be Ability Power, Health or Movement Speed depending on what you have available and how aggressive you like to lane.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Malzahar Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Ignite is Malzahar's best friend as it can be cast while casting his ultimate increasing his damage output significantly and scoring him a lot of early game kills that he would otherwise not get. Flash is great to catch out an enemy with Flash + Ultimate and also doubles as a powerful escape skill.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Teleport is another possibility to help your team's map presence and allow you to recall early to gain an item advantage. Preferably you want to run Ignite though for the damage boost and Flash is simply a must have summoner spell.
Other LoL Resources
- How To Earn Riot Points For Your League of Legends Account
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- 30+ Alternatives To League of Legends - The Rise of MOBA Gaming
As a caster Malzahar wants to run a 21/0/9 mastery setup focusing on increased damage output. You want to take all the relevant Ability Power masteries from the offense tree while also grabbing the increased mana, movement speed and buff duration on offer from the utility tree.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Final Item Build:
-Rylai's Crystal Scepter
-As Malzahar you want to open with Boots + 3 Health Potions, this gives you some sustainability and movement speed (to stay safe in lane).
-Your opening items for Malzahar should be Rabadon's Deathcap to boost your damage output, if you are having trouble in lane you might also want to consider grabbing a Doran's Ring or two. You also want to look at upgrading your boots to Sorcerer Shoes.
-Good follow up items for Malzahar include Rylai's Crystal Scepter for the slow and health it provides.
-By this stage of the game you'll need to focus on building up your resistances with itesm such as Zhonya's Hourglass and Banshee's Veil.
-Finishing off the game with a Void Staff is a great way to counter enemy magic resistance.
-Rod of Ages (If you have a poor early game this is a good option).
-Abyssal Scepter (If you need more magic resistance).
Other League of Legends Pages
Malzahar Tutorial & Commentary - By colbycheeze
Malzahar Tips & Tricks
- Always try to land a Null Zone before casting your ultimate, it will increase its damage significantly.
- Don't always use Ignite with your ultimate, save it until the end and judge whether or not it is needed to secure the kill, there is no point wasting it.
- If the enemy has a channelled ultimate save your silence to cancel it, this is particularly important late game.
- You can use Malefic Visions to grab experience and gold from minions without being near them, this is great if you need to play defensively.
- Don't forget you can cancel your ultimate at any time if the situation changes and you need to retreat.
Early Game (Level 1-6)
- Harass the enemy with Malefic Visions whenever they are in range, against weak opponents you can easily zone them out of minion waves (thus gold and experience). Don't forget to last hit minions with your auto-attacks while harassing.
- As you approach level 6 you want to dwindle the enemies health down for (hopefully) a guaranteed kill at level 6. You can combine your Flash & ultimate with your jungler for maximum effect.
- If the enemy is keeping its distance, you can weaken a nearby minion with auto-attacks and then land Malefic Visions on the minion (killing it quickly/instantly) and then hopefully jumping onto the enemy champion.
- When the enemy leaves their lane to recall or gank a side-lane you can punish them heavily by pushing the lane with Malefic Visions, be wary of the enemy jungler though.
Mid Game (Level 7-12)
- Place Malefic Visions on the minion that your minions are attacking and then proceed to auto-attack this minion as well. This will ensure you push the lane, while allowing Malefic Visions to jump from minion to minion restoring your mana. This will allow you to farm heavily while also pushing the lane, free-ing you up to gank other lanes.
- You should consider using Flash and your ultimate to gank side lanes with your allies, your suppression is much more powerful in 2v2 and 3v3 situations as opposed to all out team fights.
- If the enemy is pushing a lane hard with numbers you can quickly use your skills to clear the minion waves and keep them off the tower until reinforcements arrive.
Late Game (Level 13-18)
- Focus on using your ultimate against the enemy carry to take them out of the fight. You want to do this after all major crowd control has been used.
- You also want to focus on landing a Call of the Void and Null Zone in the middle of the team fight for maximum damage and disable potential (silence and slow from Rylai's). Be very careful with the placement as your likely only to get 1 casted per teamfight.
- Look out for Banshee's Veil. During the late stages of the game most champions will have one, you definitely do not want to try use your ultimate on someone with one of these active. Also note if anyone has Quicksilver Sash as it can counter your ultimate as well.
Other Malzahar Guides and Build
- Malzahar Build Guide - Who actually buys QSS? (Solomid)
Plutoburns offers his tips and tricks on playing Malzahar.
- LeagueCraft - Malzahar The Complete Guide
Thaesha offers one of the best in depth Malzahar guides available.
- Mobafire: Malzahar Build Guide - Come Mortal Witness Your Demise
Piksel4o offers his thoughts in this Malzahar build.
- Mobafire: Malzahar Build Guide - All-Purpose Malzahar Guide
This Malzahar guide offers a great analysis of lane matchups that you will deal with when playing Malzahar.