- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
League of Legends - Mordekaiser Guide and Build
League of Legends - Mordekaiser Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Mordekaiser guide or a Mordekaiser build? This page covers the basics of playing Mordekaiser effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Mordekaiser is a powerful anti-carry capable of mitigating large amounts of damage due to his defensive shield passive. He has the unique ability to resurrect an enemy champion and turn it on its former allies. Mordekaiser is also a powerful pusher and farmer with a very powerful team fight presence, due to the area of effect on his abilities.
This Mordekaiser guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Mordekaiser, it is recommended for people just starting to use Mordekaiser.
Don't own Mordekaiser? Or want to get one of the many Mordekaiser skins for free? Get your own free Riot Point cards.
Guide current as of Release Notes v22.214.171.124
This Mordekaiser guide is also available in summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Mordekaiser Too Strong?
Is Mordekaiser Too Powerful?
Iron Man (Passive): The skill that makes Mordekaiser the tanky damage dealer he is, allowing him to get to the enemy carry without dying instantly. It is important to focus on damage and cooldown reduction to maximise the potential of this skill. The shield also factors in your armor and magic resistance, making these stats important.
Mace of Spades (Q): This skill is a great addition to Siphon of Destruction as your main two offensive shield generation abilities, which you should be spamming whenever possible to keep your shield at maximum strength. It gives you great area of effect damage but is also very strong in 1v1 encounters.
Creeping Death (W): Give's Mordekaiser a free Sunfire Cape, adding to his area of effect abilities. The armor and magic resistance boost is also great to increase the effectiveness of Mordekaiser's shield. This skill can also be cast on allies to increase their defences.
Siphon of Destruction (E): Mordekaiser's main offensive ability (and thus your main shield generation ability), it has a strong area of effect range in a cone in front of Mordekaiser and has a very short cooldown. This ability packs a large health cost early game, so you must be careful with its usage.
Children of the Grave (Ultimate): This skill is why Mordekaiser is a powerful anti-carry, not only can this skill cause ridiculous damage when combined with Ignite, it also brings them back from the dead to fight for you. This ability also heals you in the process, making you deceptively powerful in 1v1 engages.
Mordekaiser Skill Order
Ultimate > Siphon of Destruction > Mace of Spades > Creeping Death
Siphon of Destruction is your main damage and farming ability, so it is maxed as soon as possible, to increase its damage and reduce its cooldown. Mace of Spades should be maxed second to give you powerful 1v1 and team fight damage while also helping you farm effectively. A point in Creeping Death in level 4 is a strong choice for the bonus resistances it provides, but should be left till last as it does not scale well with levels.
Red (Marks) - Magic Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Ability Power Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Ability Power // Spell Vamp // Health // Movement Speed
Mordekaiser deals magic damage with his abilities, so Magic Penetration on Marks are an obvious choice, as the more damage your dishing out, the more you can absorb with your shield. Running Armor Seals beefs up your early game presence.
For Glyphs you want to run Ability Power Per Level and combine this with Ability Power Quintessences for the maximum damage output. Alternative options include Spell Vamp for the extra sustainability, Health for extra early game survivability or movement speed for the extra harassment and chasing ability it offers.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
More League of Legends Pages
- How To Claim Free Riot Points
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- The Ultimate MOBA Games List - Published By Games Like Finder
Mordekaiser Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash gives Mordekaiser the escape or initiation ability that he needs. Ignite just has great synergy with his ultimate to burst down the enemy carry quickly.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Ghost is another available option on Mordekaiser and does suit his playstyle as it allows him to chase enemies better since he lacks crowd control.
Running a 21/0/9 setup gives Mordekaiser the burst damage he needs to take out his enemies, as Mordekaiser focuses on Ability Power you want to stick to the right hand side of the Offense tree for the Ability Power related masteries.
Combining this with the defense tree for the extra survivability is your best option. If you are against an AD champion in lane you will want to consider grabbing the Armor instead of the Magic Resistance shown above.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Final Item Build:
-Will of the Ancients
-Rylai's Crystal Scepter
-Start with Boots of Speed and Health Potions, this allows you to stay safe and sustain yourself in lane.
-Opening items for Mordekaiser should include Sorcerer's Shoes and Hextech Revolver, this gives you the damage boost you need and the added lane sustainability.
-From here Mordekaiser's build is very game dependant, if you are looking to get more burst damage you'll want to pick up Deathfire Grasp or alternatively build towards an Abyssal Scepter for the extra durability and damage.
-Final items include finishing up your Will of the Ancients , grabbing a Rylai's Crystal Scepter for the slow it offers and grabbing Randuin's Omen for some armor, cooldown reduction and health regeneration to offset your spell costs.
-Zhonya's Hourglass (If you want more armor in your Morde build).
-Void Staff (If you need to get passed the enemy magic resistance).
-Quicksilver Sash (Against crowd control heavy teams).
-Force of Nature (If you want some extra magic resistance, also offers some health regeneration and movement speed).
Other League of Legends Pages
Mordekaiser Commentary - By Legend Commentaries
General Mordekaiser Tips
- Always be looking to use your ultimate on the enemy carry for maximum effect.
- Don't forget that you can control your minion using "ALT + Click", it is great for tanking towers for your team in a push or at harassing a weak enemy champion.
- Sometimes as Mordekaiser its better to fight and stand your ground instead of trying to escape.
- Always use your Creeping Death for the increased armor and magic resistance every fight, either on yourself or an ally that needs the defensive boost. It can also be placed on the tank in the middle of the fight and used for shield generation.
Level 1-6 (Early)
- Play carefully for the first 3 levels, Mordekaiser is surprisingly squishy.
- Grab as many last hits as possible using your auto-attack as this will prevent the lane from pushing too far (which leaves you open to ganks from the enemy).
- You can use Siphon of Destruction to harass the enemy champion thanks to its long-range, this will also generate your shield making you very hard to harass back.
- If you are up against a weak lane opponent you can very easily zone them out with your burst damage and damage mitigation.
Level 7-12 (Mid)
- You can 1v1 a lot of champions at this stage of the game thanks to your damage mitigation and your health stealing ultimate, do not shy away from a fight.
- Start pushing and farming lanes when appropriate, to get your core items and defences built up.
- Start considering what build order you will take, based on what resistances you need due to particular enemies performing well.
Level 13-18 (Late)
- Consider saving Creeping Death for your carry to give them an extra defensive boost, to keep them in the fight longer. Keep in mind its not a large defence boost though.
- Now your role as an anti-carry really takes off. Save your ultimate and Ignite for the enemy carry and use your powerful damage and thus damage mitigation to target them.
- Spam your abilities to keep your shield generated, use this generated shield to protect your allies from any poking damage.
- Mordekaiser is a great candidate for an Oracle's Elixir late game as he is very hard to take down.
- Late game you may want to consider Elixir of Brilliance for the added cooldown reduction.
Other Mordekaiser Guides
- Mordekaiser Build Guide - Stompinkaiser (Solomid)
One of the most popular Mordekaiser guides available and also includes a great analysis of lane matchups.
- Mordekaiser Build Guide - Murderkaiser - In Depth (Solomid)
SlappyBaggins loves to play Mordekaiser and has collected his tips and tricks in this Mordekaiser guide.
- Mobafire: Mordekaiser Build Guide - Mordekaiser, The Undisputed Lord
The best rated guide over at Mobafire which has a massive amount of information.
- Mobafire: Mordekaiser Build Guide - Mace to the face!
A massive amount of information on playing Mordekaiser and includes a run down of potential lane matchups.