- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
League of Legends - Morgana Guide and Build
League of Legends - Morgana Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Morgana guide or a Morgana build? This page covers the basics of playing Morgana effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Morgana is a powerful AP champion that offers good damage and great team utility. Morgana is a great asset to any team with her long range (and long duration) snare, her shield which can be useed to block spells and her powerful ultimate which can force an enemy team to scatter.
Morgana has great farming abilities and sustain thanks to her passive making her a great (and easy) laning champion.
This Morgana guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Morgana, it is recommended for people just starting to use Morgana.
Don't own Morgana? Or want to get a Morgana skin from the Riot Games store for free? Learn how to get free RP for LoL.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v22.214.171.124
This Morgana guide is also available in summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Morgana Over Powered?
Do You Feel Morgana Is Over Powered?
Soul Siphon (Passive): Morgana has an amazing passive that keeps her in lane for extended periods of time, making her a great solo lane champion and remains strong throughout the entire game.
Dark Binding (Q): A great defensive and offensive snare with long range and a good duration. This helps Morgana bring more support to the battlefield and can set-up kills very easily for herself and her team.
Tormented Soil (W): Morgana's damage over time skill that works very well with her snare ability, the soil also reduces enemies magic resistance, helping Morgana's laning presence. This skill also gives Morgana amazing farming ability throughout the game.
Black Shield (E): An amazing support skill, that is similar to a Banshee's Veil shield, blocking stuns and snares while also shielding against a decent amount of magic damage. Morgana can use this to protect herself or an ally and can be quick casted on herself by pressing "ALT+E". However, I recommend using the smart + self cast option in the League of Legends key bindings, this will automatically cast it on yourself unless your cursor is over an allied champion. Correctly using this skill at the right time can turn teamfights.
Soul Shackles (Ultimate): Morgana's ultimate has a very powerful area of effect stun and can devastate an enemy team in a team fight, when combined with the active from Zhonya's Hourglass. This ability also works well defensively as it slows enemies and can prevent them from chasing you.
Morgana Skill Order
As Morgana you want o measure your abilities as:
Ult > Tormented Soil > Dark Binding > Black Shield
Dark Binding at level 1 is your best option, allowing you to hold an enemy in place which works great to setup early ganks or jungle invasions (both defensive or offensive).
You want to max Tormented Soil first as it gives you amazing farming ability and also combines well with Dark Binding to cause some serious damage. It also works great with your passive spellvamp to give you some nice lane sustainability.
Dark Binding is best maxed second to increase its snare duration, making it very powerful mid-late game. Black Shield is maxed last but a point is still placed here at level 4 to prevent lane harassment and protect allies against crowd control effects in any duels.
Red (Marks) - Magic Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Mana Regeneration Per Level
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance // Ability Power Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Ability Power // Movement Speed // Health
Morgana uses a typical caster rune page setup. Magic Penetration on Marks help your damage output while Mana Regeneration Per Level on Seals helps to keep her mana levels up and harass during early-mid game. Magic Resistance Glyphs gives Morgana some extra durability against early game damage but these can be swapped out for Ability Power Per Level if you want to play more aggressively.
Quintessences offer a number of different options for Morgana; Ability Power is a good default as it offers a good damage boost but Movement Speed and Health are also options.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Morgana Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash and Ignite are great summoner spells for Morgana, Flash gives you a strong escape mechanism and can even be used to Flash into the middle of a team fight, pop your ultimate and then hit Zhonya's Hourglass.
While Ignite gives you the extra damage you need to secure kills during the laning phase.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Teleport is great for map control and keeping Morgana near her team where she is most useful, a player who uses Teleport effectively to assist and setup kills for their team can really shine with this summoner spell. Exhaust is another option if you are looking to counter an enemy in lane or an AD heavy team but generally Ignite will serve you better.
Other League of Legends Pages
- Free RP - How To Get Riot Points For Champions & Skins
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- The Ultimate MOBA Games List - Published By Games Like Finder
Morgana uses your typical caster mastery setup of 21/0/9. This gives her powerful damage output and also offers some movement speed and increased buff duration.
If you have trouble last-hitting minions as Morgana you can move a few points into Butchery which offers improved minion damage.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Final Item Build:
-Rod of Ages
-Start with a Boots and 3 Health Potions, this gives you a nice movement boost and some sustainability.
-First chance you get to go back you want to consider grabbing a few Doran's Rings for the extra health, ability power and mana regeneration they offer. Also consider upgrading your boots to Sorcerer's Shows.
-Your first item will depend on the game situation, if you need defensive choices then look towards Rod of Ages and Abyssal Scepter. If the game is moving alone quickly and teamfights are starting to happen then a Zhonya's Hourglass is a great option.
-As the game goes on you will want to look towards items like Rabadon's Deathcap for the damage boost and Banshee's Veil for the spell shield it offers (allowing you to focus Black Shield on your allies).
-Void Staff (A must have if the enemy starts stacking magic resistance).
-Frozen Heart (If the enemy is AD heavy).
-Deathfire Grasp (If your team needs some more burst damage).
-Guardian Angel (Balance out your resistances and revive after your ultimate).
Other League of Legends Guide Pages
League of Legends - 5v5 Ranked Commentary (Morgana)
General Morgana Tips
- Pay attention to who the enemy targets in team fights, generally this will be consistent throughout the game. This person is your main priority for Black Shield (especially when its your carry).
- Be sure to use your Dark Binding both offensively and defensively, it has extremely long range. Catching someone with this late game can be devastating.
- Concentrate on being sticking with your team as much as possible, Morgana has great team fight presence.
- Conserve your mana, there is nothing worse than not being able to save an ally because you over used your abilities.
Early Game (1-6)
- Early on you want to grab as many last hits as possible, be careful of Morgana's low auto-attack range.
- Try not to throw out too many snares, save them for when they have a high chance of landing as the mana cost adds up quickly in the earlier stages.
- Once you hit level 5 and your Tormented Soil is level 3, you can kill the caster minions with it. Use this on them every wave, it will start building up your gold and keep you healed up thanks to the spellvamp from your passive.
- Morgana's snare and Tormented Soil is a deadly combo during this stage of the game.
Mid Game (7-12)
- You can now deal some serious hurt with your spell combo, leading with Dark Binding > Tormented Soil > Soul Shackles (and using Black Shield if required).
- Depending on how well the early game went for you and your team you will start either taking on a damage or support focused role.
- Ganking other lanes during this stage is important as your strong snare and slow (possible stun) on your ultimate will generally result in a kill and set your team ahead.
- Your jungler should be securing the Blue Golem buff during this stage of the game for you, with the extra buff duration you'll get great use out of it, so don't be afraid to throw out plenty of Dark Bindings.
Late Game (13-18)
- Concentrate on shielding important allies (such as the carry). You want to use your ultimate when it will hit the most enemies and force them to separate, don't forget that you can initiate with your ultimate and use Zhonya's Hourglass.
- Don't forget to keep an active blue buff, the mana regeneration will allow you to poke the enemy with Dark Binding and the cooldown will help with teamfights.
- Stay behind your allies to reduce any poking damage, this allows you to focus Black Shield on your allies and use your long range snare to trap enemies that over-extend.
- If the enemy team has lots of crowd control consider grabbing an early Banshee's Veil so that you can focus all Black Shields on allies.
Morgana Guides, Builds and Related Pages
- Morgana Build Guide - Without Mercy (Solomid)
One of the best rated Morgana guides over at Solomid.
- Morgana Build Guide - Without Mercy A Comprehensive Morgana Guide (Solomid)
Regory offers a wealth of Morgana related knowledge in this Solomid Morgana guide.
- LeagueCraft - Facemelting with the Morg
This Morgana guide over at Leaguecraft (by Ulminati) focuses heavily on item consideration so if you are having trouble with your Morgana build options then this is the guide you want to read.
- Mobafire: Morgana Build Guide - Malevolent Morgana
This Morgana guide is published on Mobafire and is by jhoijhoi. The guide offers a massive amount of discussion and is a great read.