- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
League of Legends - Nocturne Guide and Build
League of Legends - Nocturne Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Nocturne guide or a Nocturne build? This page covers the basics of playing Nocturne effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Nocturne is a strong jungle champion and offers amazing team utility. Nocturne has a great attack damage and attack speed steroid allowing him to build tanky and still have a lot of damage output. Nocturne's ultimate is extremely unique, it takes away map vision for all enemy champions allowing him to pull of some devastating ganks.
This Nocturne guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Nocturne, it is recommended for people just starting to use Nocturne.
Don't own Nocturne? Or want to get a Nocturne skin from the League of Legends store? Learn how to get free RP codes.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v184.108.40.206 (October, 2012).
This Nocturne guide is also available in summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Nocturne Over Powered?
Is Nocturne Too Strong?
Umbra Blades (Passive): Nocturne's passive allows him to jungle effectively while also maintaining a high health level. His passive also gives him some reasonable area of effect damage in the middle of teamfights and also that added survivability. As his passive works well with attack speed it is a vital stat for Nocturne.
Duskbringer (Q): This ability is another great jungle ability as it boosts Nocturne's attack damage allowing him to clear camps quickly and also does damage in an area of effect. This skill allows Nocturne to build tanky but still have sufficient damage output and is also great for gap closing due to its movement speed buff and ignore unit collision utility.
Shroud of Darkness (W): Offers a great passive attack speed steroid which can be doubled upon successfully blocking an enemy spell. This makes Nocturne a deadly ganker and anti-carry as with proper timing he can shrug off any crowd control spells aimed at him.
Unspeakable Horror (E): Nocturne's soft crowd control spell that allows him to fear his opponents. This adds to his strong ganking power and makes him very difficult to fight 1v1.
Paranoia (Ultimate): Nocturne's ultimate is very powerful and very fun to use. It removes vision of all enemies and allows him to dash a massive distance across the map, allowing him to engage fights or jump onto the enemy carry amongst all the panic.
Nocturne Skill Order
Generally the best way to level abilities as Nocturne is:
Ult > Duskbringer > Unspeakable Horror > Shroud of Darkness
Grab Duskbringer at level 1 to give you extra damage output in the jungle allowing for a quicker first camp clear time. Second you should grab a point in Shroud of Darkness for the bonus passive attack speed it provides. At level 3 you should pick up Unspeakable Horror to give you gank potential, if however no ganks are available you can grab another point in Duskbringer and leave Unspeakable Horror until level 4.
Maxing Duskbringer first gives you the best jungle speed and damage output, while maxing Unspeakable Horror second increases its fear length from 1 second to 2 seconds. Shroud of Darkness should be maxed last as each level only decreases the cooldown.
Red (Marks) - Attack Speed // Armor Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Attack Damage // Movement Speed // Health
This is the best jungle setup for Nocturne, it provides the fastest clear time and provides him with enough durability to survive the early-mid game. Marks offer you increased attack speed to proc your passive more often in the jungle to increase your survivability and sustainability. Seals are Armor to reduce the damage taken from the jungle minions.
While Magic Resistance on Glyphs gives you great survivability against enemy casters. Attack Damage Quintessences round out this rune page and give you the added damage to deal significant damage to jungle minions and the enemy (you can also run Movement Speed and Health depending on your available runes.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Nocturne Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash & Smite are your best summoner spell choices for jungle Nocturne, it provides you with a strong escape spell while Smite is a must have on any junlge champion for the increased speed and buff protection that it offers.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Ghost is a viable replacement for Flash if you prefer it, but it leaves Nocturne quite vulnerable. You can also run Exhaust if your considering play Nocturne in the top lane.
Other League of Legends Pages
- Free RP For League of Legends Skins and Champions
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- Games Finder - Your Home For MOBA Gaming
This setup allows you to have a strong jungle clearance time as well as providing you with powerful damage throughout the entire game. Along with the extra mana regeneation and buff duration from the utility tree this is the best offensive jungler mastery setup.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Final Item Build:
-Start with Boots of Speed & 3 Health Potions this gives you some speed for clearing and ganking while also offering health recovery through potions.
-First trip back you want build towards your Wriggle's Lantern which will give you all the jungle sustainability you need.
-From here you want to get your tier 2 boots up which should be either Berserker's Greaves or Mercury's Treads on crowd control heavy teams.
-Your last core items should be The Brutaliser and a Giant's Belt.
-If the game is going well or there is another strong AD champion on your team consider going Frozen Mallet otherwise you want to build a Warmog's Armor especially if the game is going to be a long one.
-Next you want to look at an Atma's Impaler to convert some health into attack damage while also giving you a strong armor boost.
-Finishing up with a Banshee's Veil for the magic resistance and the ability to potentially block two unfriendly spells and a Youmuu's Ghostblade to increase your damage output (don't forget to use the active!).
-Guardian Angel (Another strong defensive option with a great late game passive).
Related Champion Pages
League of Legends - 5v5 Ranked Commentary #5 (Nocturne) [1512 ELO]
General Nocturne Gameplay Tips & Hints
- Nocturne is very flexible with his jungle paths. The standard jungle route is Wolves > Blue > Wraith > Red > Mini-Golems and should always be completed unless you are counter-jungled.
- Nocturne is an assassin champion, your goal should always be to target the squishy champions in teamfights.
- Nocturne's ultimate can be great defensively and offensively and can be used to save yourself or a fleeing ally.
- Don't use your Unspeakable Horror unless it is likely they will stay in the leash range (if they are faster then you for example don't waste the cooldown).
- Try to anticipate enemy spells so that you can get a strong attack speed boost with your Shroud of Darkness.
Early Game - Level 1-6
- Focus on quickly clearing your jungle while being aware of the other lanes.
- Nocturne has very strong ganking and his Unspeakable Horror is often enough to force an enemy to use Flash (making them an easier gank!)
- Don't forget to use Duskbringer to close the gap when ganking.
Mid Game - Level 7-12
- You are now a ganking god with your ultimate, always be looking to use it when its off cooldown.
- Always check the range of your opponent before activating your ultimate, you don't want to waste it.
- Always have dragon warded during this stage of the game and consider doing it if it is safe.
- Start considering whether or not you might need a Banshee's Veil before an Atma's Impaler (if the enemy AP is doing very well for example).
Late Game - 13-18
- Depending on your team you will either need to intiate with your ultimate or wait for your team to initiate and then jump on the enemy carry.
- Try to fear as much as possible during teamfights, it is a great form of crowd control as it can lead them into bad positions.
- Blocking a spell with your shield at this stage of the game can really give you a massive damage output boost.
- Try to fight on your Duskbringer for maximum damage especially during late game, it is a lot of free attack damage.
Are You Afraid Of the Dark?
- Nocturne Build Guide - NEW ITEMS TT ONLY!? Jungle guide (Solomid)
Despite the title this Nocturne guide doesn't actually discuss Twisted Treeline but is still a great Nocturne build.
- Mobafire: Nocturne Build Guide - Haunting the Jungle - Nightmare Style
PSIGuard offers a great overview of Nocturne and discusses a number of jungle builds and game strategy.