- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
League of Legends - Nunu Guide and Build (Jungle and Support)
League of Legends - Nunu Guide and Build (Jungle and Support)
Are you looking for a Nunu guide or a Nunu build? This page covers the basics of playing Nunu (Jungle and Support) effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Nunu is a powerful jungler and also has a strong laning presence as a support champion, allowing him to perform well in either role. Nunu's abilities have powerful Ability Power scaling and offer support to his team through slows and movement speed/attack speed increases for him and a chosen ally.
This Nunu guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Nunu, it is recommended for people just starting to use Nunu.
Don't own Nunu? Or want to get a Nunu skin from the official Riot Store? Learn how to get free Riot Point cards for League of Legends.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v220.127.116.11 (October, 2012).
This Nunu guide is also available in quick summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Nunu Over Powered?
Is Nunu Too Powerful?
Visionary (Passive) Who doesn't like being able to cast spells for free? Nunu's passive is helpful and slightly reduces his overall mana costs, but it is definitely not game breaking.
Consume (Q) Consume is a very powerful self healing effect that also deals true damage to minions, this ability gives Nunu amazing laning presence and allows him to jungle effectively. This makes Support Nunu hard to force out of lane, while keeping Jungle Nunu high health during his jungle clears
Blood Boil (W) A great support skill that should always be cast on somebody else as Nunu still receives the benefits when it is casted on an ally. Its movement boost is great for ganks while its attack speed increase is great for destroying a tower quickly. This ability should be focused on the physical carry whenever possible. Support Nunu will often max this first depending on the lane matchup.
Ice Blast (E) A very strong single target slow on a low cooldown that makes Nunu an extremely powerful ganker during the early levels. With some cooldown reduction Nunu can keep an enemy permanent slowed, making him impossible to escape from. Alternatively Support Nunu can choose to max this first in lane for powerful harassment.
Absolute Zero (Ultimate) Nunu's ultimate has an amazing Ability Power ratio, while it is very hard to pull off correctly it can devastate an enemy team. Absolute Zero should be cancelled early if the enemies within it are about to escape, this will mean that they still receive some damage.
Nunu Skill Order - (Jungle Nunu Shown)
As Jungle Nunu:
(Ult) > Ice Blast > Blood Boil > Consume
As Support Nunu:
(Ult) > Blood Boil > Ice Blast > Consume
Taking Consume level 1 allows you to take out blue golem with ease as Jungle Nunu. While Support Nunu will want to consider taking Ice Blast for the powerful slow or Blood Boil instead.
Jungle Nunu's focus should be on maxing Ice Blast for the extra slow it offers during ganks and then following up with Blood Boil for the support it offers his team.
Support Nunu on the other hand will want to focus on Blood Boil for the massive attack speed buff and movement speed it provides to him and an ally. Alternatively you can max Ice Blast against a non-healing lane to dwindle their health down.
Nunu Runes - (Jungle Shown)
Red (Marks) - Attack Speed // Armor // Magic Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Health // Movement Speed // Gold/10 Sec
Nunu has flexible rune setups based on the role you want to play. Attack Speed is great for Jungle Nunu to boost jungle speed while Support Nunu wants to focus on Armor too boost his early game survivability. If you don't own either of these runes then Magic Penetration is fine and will boost your Ice Blast damage.
Seals will want to be Armor regardless of how you are going to play Nunu for the extra survivability. Similarly with Magic Resistance Per Level on Glyphs for the extra defences.
Quintessences have a few options including Health (for the added survivability), Movement Speed (for the easier lane harassment or ganks) or Gold/10 to boost your gold income on Nunu.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
More League of Legends Pages
- Free Riot Points - Claim Riot Points For LoL
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- 30+ Alternatives To League of Legends - The Rise of MOBA Gaming
Nunu Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash and Exhaust are your best summoner spells for Nunu. Flash allows you to escape potential ganks or initiate on the enemy while Exhaust allows you to shut down the enemy AD carry in lane and remains useful throughout the entire game.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Smite is an alternative summoner spell if you are playing Jungle Nunu to help secure buffs and protect Baron/Dragon.
Nunu Masteries - (Jungle Setup Shown)
Running a defense setup with some extra buff duration is your best option for Nunu as it makes him very durable.
Support Nunu will want to run a similar setup but move points into mana regeneration and improved ward range. You will also want to consider moving a single point into Summoner's Wrath (Offense tree) for Exhaust bonus.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
(For Support Nunu and Jungle Nunu)
Final Item Build:
-Aegis of the Legion
-Start with Boots of Speed & Health Potions as Jungle Nunu to make for stronger early game ganks. Alternatively Support Nunu wants to start the game with Faerie Charm, Health Potions & Wards.
-From here your build for Support and Jungle Nunu are the same, with items like Philosopher's Stone and Heart of Gold to build up your early game gold generation. You will also want to look at finishing your boots, Mercury's Treads are a great standard choice.
-From here you'll want to assist your team with Aegis of the Legion and look towards building up your own defenses with items like Frozen Heart and Banshee's Veil.
-Final items to consider include Randuin's Omen and Shurelya's Reverie for the great actives these items provide, they also build out of both your early game gold generation items.
-Abyssal Scepter (For more damage and resistances).
Other Featured Guides:
League of Legends: Nunu Commentary - By LegendCommentaries
General Nunu Gameplay Tips
- Always use Blood Boil on somebody else so that you both receive the benefit, this should be your physical damage dealer during team fights and tower pushers.
- Don't forget you can cancel your ultimate early for partial damage, some damage is better than none.
- Your ultimate can be used while in the bush to catch enemies unaware. It is great when combined with a bait.
- Nunu is a very powerful jungler and is hard to kill thanks to his high health levels (during his jungle route) and slow from Ice Blast, you should have complete control over your jungle and the dragon.
Early Game - (Level 1-6)
- Nunu's jungle path is very standard:
Wolves > Blue Golem > Wraith > Red Lizard > Small Golems
- Don't use Consume on Blue Golem as Jungle Nunu until you have taken some damage.
- Always use Consume, Ice Blast and Bood Boil when they are off cooldown in the jungle, Blue Buff and your passive cover all the mana costs.
- While auto-attacking you can scout out other lanes and take note of who is doing good/bad. Consider who will be your first gank priority and who may need lane cover while they return to base.
- Early game Support Nunu wants to focus on keeping his ally safe with Ice Blast and Blood Boil.
Mid Game - (Level 7-12)
- Your primary objective at this stage of the game is to control dragon and gank lanes for your team, pushing and destroying towers with Blood Boil as well.
- You can offer blue buff to your AP carry and red buff to your AD carry during this time of the game.
- Start stealing your enemies buffs from their jungle, Nunu can quickly take down these targets and thus can do it quite safely. Be much more careful if the enemy has a jungler though.
- As Support Nunu keep the map warded for your team and stay close to your AD carry so that you can Blood Boil them during fights.
Late Game - (Level 13-18)
- Nunu's ultimate is a great counter initiate or can be used in conjunction with Flash as an initiate.
- Blood Boil should be up 100% of the time (don't forget to cast it on someone else!)
- Maxed Ice Blast has a devastating slow, use it to ensure kills on enemies and to save your allies.
- Don't forget to use Smite, you will be out of the jungle more but you should be using it every time it is off cooldown.
- Try target the enemies physical carry during team fights with Ice Blast, it reduces their attack speed and thus their overall damage output.