League of Legends - Poppy Guide and Build (AP and AD)
League of Legends - Poppy Guide and Build (AP and AD)
Are you looking for a Poppy guide or a Poppy build? This page covers the basics of playing Poppy (AP and AD) effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Poppy is one of the best anti-carries in League of Legends and as such packs some incredible single target nuke damage and abilities that allow her to run past the front line tanks and kill that squishy carry. Poppy can be built as either AP or an AD champion (the benefits of each is discussed later on this Poppy guide).
This Poppy guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Poppy, it is recommended for people just starting to use Poppy.
Don't own Poppy? Or want to get a Poppy skin from the Riot store? Learn how you can get your own free Riot Points for LoL.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v22.214.171.124 (October, 2012).
This Poppy guide is also available in quick summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Poppy Too Strong?
Do You Feel Poppy Is Over Powered?
AP Poppy vs AD Poppy
Choosing between AP and AD Poppy is always a question that is commonly asked when it comes to playing Poppy.
Both build options have their pros and cons and will impact heavily on how you play Poppy throughout the entire game.
Ultimately AD Poppy is easier to play and offers more consistent damage. While AP Poppy can devastate single targets but requires more mechanical play to work correctly (proper ult timing, using of Deathfire Grasp etc).
Benefits of AD Poppy
- Easier laning phase.
- More consistent damage output.
- Less complicated to play.
Benefits Of AP Poppy
- High burst damage.
- Decent AP Scaling.
- Can destroy any squishy champion with her combo.
Valiant Fighter (Passive) Poppy's passive helps her be an amazing anti-carry by allowing her to take some extra punishment when it matters. This skill makes her deceptively durable which works very well against players who don't often go up against Poppy.
Devastating Blow (Q) This skill is Poppy's bread and butter ability. It has a reasonably low cooldown and also resets your attack timer, so careful timing of this skill is important to maximise your damage output.
Paragon of Demacia (W) Nobody gets away from Poppy when you activate this skill, it allows Poppy to chase down enemies and get away after taking out the enemies carry, it also boosts her defense and attack instantly (through the active) or slowly over-time. Even just one point in this is very powerful early-mid game.
Heroic Charge (E) This is Poppy's signature move and allows her to devastate her opponents in the jungle or on Twisted Treeline due to the large number of walls available. It is important to always aim for a wall as it offers bonus damage and a stun.
Diplomatic Immunity (Ultimate) Poppy's ultimate allows her to ignore everybody and target a single target. It also provides a hefty damage boost against that target, allowing Poppy to get in and out quickly as required. You can either use it either on your desired target for the damage increase or use it on an enemy without crowd control to allow you to unleash terror onto the enemy team. This ultimate also increases the damage of Ignite, making it even more deadly.
Poppy Skill Order
Ultimate > Devastating Blow > Heroic Charge > Paragon of Demacia
Devastating Blow is your main damage dealer and has an extremely low cooldown, maxing this first is the key to your laning phase. One point in Paragon of Demacia at level 4 is important for the extra movement speed, attack damage and armor it provides, if you've got an aggressive lane or a worried about an aggressive jungle consider picking up a point in this a little earlier.
Heroic Charge is best maxed second due to the damage increase it offers with each level (especially if you can constantly hit your enemy into a wall). If you need some extra speed or durability though you can go Paragon of Demacia second.
Red (Marks) - Attack Damage // Magic Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Health // Movement Speed // Armor
Attack Damage Marks scales well with Poppy's Devastating Blow and also helps her last hitting during the early game stages. Since Poppy's damage output is magic damage running Magic Penetration Marks is also pretty strong.
Running Armor Seals is an obvious choice to reduce incoming minion damage and harassment in lane. While Glyphs are best run as Magic Resistance Per Level to reduce incoming magic damage during the mid-late game. Quintessences offer a number of possibilities on Poppy including Health, Movement Speed and Armor.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Poppy Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash is your standard summoner spell and opens up many options for initiating and escaping. It also helps setup Heroic Charge into walls. Ignite is a good addition to Poppy's nuke combo and is incredible at increasing Poppy's overall damage and securing kills.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Ghost is also pretty strong on Poppy as it combines well with her playstyle. Exhaust can also be used to help you shut out particular champions but ultimately may cost you a few kills (so I prefer not to take it). Teleport if used effectively can help your team secure objectives and kills and also help you manage your recalling from lane (if that is one of your weaknesses as a player).
League of Legends Other Pages
- Free League of Legends Points - RP Codes
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- MOBA Games List - Your Favourite Genre On A Single List
Poppy Masteries - AP Poppy and AD Poppy Masteries
Running a 21 point defensive setup makes Poppy extremely durable combined with her passive which allows you to have a strong early game and set you up for a good mid-late game from there.
The offensive tree offers a nice attack damage boost to aid last-hitting and also scales with your Devastating Blow, as Poppy deals magic damage you want to take Arcane Knowledge (10% magic penetration).
The defensive tree offers many strong bonuses which support your passive including health, armor, magic resistance, reduced minion damage, health regeneration and a nice movement speed increase when at high health.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
AD Poppy Build
How To Build AD Poppy
This AD Poppy Build is very offensive focused and requires you to rely on her ultimate late game, if you are still learning how to make use of Poppy's ultimate and thus having trouble surviving you will want to build a more defensive Poppy (see the alternative items section).
Final Item Build:
-As Poppy you want to start with Boots + 3 Health Potions, this gives you the movement speed required to stay safe in lane and provides some sustainability.
-First trip back you want to grab a Philosopher's Stone to help you to start building up a gold advantage and give you the mana regeneration you need to sustain your harassment.
-If you are struggling in lane you can consider grabbing another gold item such as Heart of Gold or Kage's Lucky Pick as Poppy is very farm reliant.
-Your first big item is Trinity Force as it gives you a number of great stats. Generally you should build Sheen first for the damage and then Phage for the slowing effect (finishing with Zeal).
-From here you'll want to look towards big ticket AD items such as Infinity Edge and The Bloodthirster (great sustain). If you need to build more tanky then you only want to purchase one (and choose an item option from the alternative section).
-You may also want to consider upgrading to a Shurelya's Reverie for the speed boost active it provides.
-As the game gets later you want to look at Last Whisper to help you get past the enemies defenses.
-Frozen Heart (Great against an AD heavy team or a fed AD carry).
-Force of Nature (Provides a nice movement speed boost with magic resistance).
-Guardian Angel (Provides a strong passive and balances your resistances).
-Quicksilver Sash (If the enemy has lots of crowd control, this helps you fulfill your anti-carry role).
AP Poppy Build
How To Build AP Poppy
Final Item Build:
-Rylai's Crystal Scepter
-Start off with a Boots and 3 Health Potions just like in the AD Poppy Build.
-Your first item is also Philosopher's Stone as it is an important early game item for Poppy (due to the gold generation).
-Next you want to grab your Sorcerer Boots to cut through enemy magic resistance.
-Grabbing an early Sheen allows you to deal extra damage while also boosting your mana pool.
-Your first full item is Deathfire Grasp due to the extra burst damage it offers.
-From here you need to build up your Ability Power with items like Rabadon's Deathcap and Abyssal Scepter.
-Now that you have some AP you want to build your Lich Bane and finish off with a Rylai's Crystal Scepter for the slow it packs.
-Banshee's Veil (If you need some magic resistance).
-Void Staff (Counter high magic resistant teams with this item).
-Hextech Gunblade (Offers good sustainability and a damage boost).
-Zhonya's Hourglass (Great if you need some armor without losing out on damage).
Other League of Legends Pages
League of Legends: Poppy Commentary - By SolomidDOTNet
General Poppy Tips
- Your goal should always be to take out the enemies carry and support.
- Sometimes as Poppy it may be worth dying if you can take out the enemies carry with you, the team fight will now be 4v4 but they will be down their main damage dealer.
- Sometimes you will want to use your ultimate on your target for the damage boost and sometimes you will want to use it on the tank or somebody running away to give you free run on the rest of their team-mates.
- Poppy is tough to farm with (especially AP Poppy), if a lane needs to be pushed then Poppy is definitely not the champion for the job.
Level 1-6 (Early)
- Poppy is nothing great early, do your best to grab last hits and slam the enemy into the sidewall if they overextend.
- At around lvl 3-4 you can start using your combo on your opponent.
- By having good communication with your jungle you can secure kills with Heroic Charge, don't forget that you can flash past your enemy and knock them back towards your teammate.
- Use Devastating Blow to harass your lane opponent, especially when they try to last hit minions.
Level 7-12 (Mid)
- You have very strong damage output and tower diving abilities now (thanks to your ultimate).
- If you choose to tower dive save your ultimate until the last second before you attack the enemy champion, this will give you maximum killing time.
- You should start shutting down the enemies carry, pick on them every team fight and stalk their jungle to catch them getting neutral buffs. If they go to a side line to farm, go harass them.
- You should roam both jungles and ward them appropriately, Poppy is very devastating in the jungle due to the large number of walls.
Level 13-18 (Late)
- Continue to roam the jungle and protect your own buffs, while scouting out the enemies.
- Every team fight you want to try to flank the enemy, aiming straight for their carry.
- Preferably you want to use your ultimate on the enemy carry for the damage boost. However, if they are extremely fed and can kill you or they have a stun/slow that may prevent you killing them (Ashe) you want to use your ultimate on someone else (that lacks any form of crowd control to stop you).
- At this stage you can kill most carries with your full combo, if you are playing AP Poppy don't forget to include Deathfire Grasp.
- Your Heroic Charge is great at slamming the enemy backwards towards your team. You can also use Charge to protect your team-mates.
Other Pages You Might Like
- Poppy Build Guide - All Purpose Poppy Guide (Solomid)
This all purpose Poppy guide over at Solomid offers plenty of helpful tips to playing Poppy and also features an analysis of lane matchups.
- Poppy Build Guide - Endgame Terror (Solomid)
Dandycock offers a great Poppy build over at Solomid with a great selection of item paths for both AP and AD Poppy.
- Mobafire: Poppy Build Guide - Poppy A Scary Carry
The top rated Poppy build over at Mobafire offers some brilliant insight into playing Poppy.
- Mobafire: Poppy Build Guide - Poppy, Dominating Solo Top
This guide by Belgarius offers plenty of must read information on how to successfully play Poppy in the top lane.