League of Legends - Ryze Guide and Build
League of Legends - Season 3 Ryze Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Season 3 Ryze guide or a Ryze build? This page covers the basics of playing Ryze effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Ryze is a strong AP carry with skills that scale from both Ability Power and Mana. Ryze steps away from the traditional AP burst mage in that while he does still pack a significant amount of burst damage he has a focus on consistent damage output through his passive and main skill, Overload. Ryze is also a very durable mage due to the items he builds (that provide mana).
This Ryze guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Ryze, it is recommended for people just starting to use Ryze.
Don't own Ryze? Would you like to get a Ryze skin from the Riot Store? Learn how to get free RP for League of Legends.
Guide current as of Season 3: Release Notes v3.02
This Ryze guide is also available in quick summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Ryze Over Powered?
Do You Think Ryze Over Powered?
Arcane Mastery (Passive) With Ryze's passive It is very easy to give his Overload essentially a 0 second cooldown by using Overload > Spell (Snare/Flux) > Overload > Spell (Snare/Flux). This allows Ryze to consistently deal some powerful damage to a single opponent and makes for good harassment.
Overload (Q) Ryze's powerful single target damage ability that also scales decently with mana and Ability Power. With full cooldown reduction this skill has a very low cooldown (and is even better when combined with his passive). The skill also has a passive cooldown reduction effect.
Rune Prison (W) This skill is only a snare and not a stun, so be aware that champions can and will attack you back. This skill has good range and is great for setting up kills or saving allies. Like his Overload skill it has good mana and Ability Power scaling.
Spell Flux (E) Spell Flux is great at improving damage Ryze's damage output due to the magic resist reduction but can also be used to combo his skills (through his passive) or effectively to spread his ultimate among the enemy team. Don't forget that this skill can bounce of Ryze making Ryze deadly in melee range. Spell Flux has okay AP scaling but very low mana scaling compared with Ryze's other abilities.
Desperate Power (Ultimate) Ryze's ultimate offers him a decent amount of spellvamp which can make the difference during duels and team fights. Where this skill really shines is in closely packed teamfights as the added area of effect damage on Ryze's abilities can really add up quickly. The movement speed also helps Ryze gank lanes or chase down enemies, giving it plenty of utility.
Ryze Skill Order
Generally the best way to level your skills as Ryze is:
Ult > Overload > Rune Prison > Spell Flux
Overload offers the most damage and is also your number one harassment tool so it is a must max first on Ryze. If you anticipate a level 1 team fight and you feel your team would benefit from an extra form of crowd control then consider taking snare first (even though it is a short duration, it can make the difference).
Rune Prison offers the next best damage and by levelling it up you also also increases the snare duration. Spell Flux is left until last but taking a point at level 4 can increase your damage and also provide a skill to help you make use of your passive.
Ryze Wants You!
Ryze Runes - Ryze Rune Build
Red (Marks) - Magic Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Health Per Level // Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance
Purple (Quintessences) - Movement Speed // Health
Magic Penetration Marks are vital for any caster and Ryze is no exception to that rule. As Ryze builds many mana based items (including Archangel's Staff) there is no need for mana regeneration runes that you may be running on other mages, Instead HP Per Level is a good option as it boosts your effective health nicely for mid-late game. If you don't own these and don't want to spend the IP then Armor is a solid choice.
Running Quintessences as Movement Speed gives Ryze the extra manoeuvrability he needs to harass in the laning phase (and in generally just makes him difficult to deal with in lane). Alternatively you can run Health to boost your defences or if you lack Movement Speed Quints.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Ryze Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash and Ignite are by far the best summoner spells for Ryze, they allow you to get in and out of battles easily and escape when required. Ryze like most mages also benefits from the extra damage from Ignite to secure kills.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Ryze has a few other summoner spell options that he can choose from. Teleport offers strong map control and allows Ryze to move around the map to help his team or secure objectives, used well Teleport can be pretty strong but requires some adjustment (as you don't have Ignite). Exhaust is another option and is a good pick to counter an AD heavy team if nobody else on your team has it, it also works well in some lane matchups.
Other LoL Pages
- Free League of Legends Points - Claim Riot Points
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- 30+ Alternatives To League of Legends - The Rise of MOBA Gaming
Ryze Masteries - Building Ryze 9/0/21
Ryze gets little benefit from the Ability Power masteries in the offense tree compared with other AP mages. Instead you want to only work your way down to the magic penetration bonus. Alternatively, if you have trouble last-hitting minions you can move two points into Butchery (provides extra damage to minions).
The utility tree offers a number of benefits including mana, movement speed, mana regeneration (enough to get you by until your purchase a Tear of Goddess). Other notable masteries include improved buff duration, spellvamp, some extra experience (helps you get to level 6 first), cooldown reduction (helps you hit max CDR with Frozen Heart).
If you don't have issues managing your mana during the early game I strongly recommend moving 3 points in the Utility tree into Strength of Spirit (SoS) as it gives you some good lane sustain (because you build lots of mana).
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Final Item Build:
-Rod of Ages
-As Ryze you want to start with Boots & 3 Health Potions, this offers good movement speed for harassment and some sustain.
-Your best opening is often going to be Tear of the Goddess as it allows you to start building mana stacks for your damage output. If you are in a tough lane consider going Catalyst the Protector or a Negatron Cloak/Chain Vest depending on your match up (they will all be used in later items, so you are not wasting gold).
-From here you want to build towards Rod of Ages as it offers three very important stats for Ryze and gives him a great damage boost.
-Frozen Heart should be your next goal for the armor, mana and large chunk of cooldown reduction it provides.
-From here your build will depend on the game situation. If you want more damage look towards Abyssal Scepter and Archangel's Staff.
-Or you can choose a defensive option such as Banshee's Veil.
-Void Staff (A great late game item to get through magic resistance).
-Rabandon's Deathcap (Ryze has decent AP scaling and building this will give you a nice damage boost as a last slot item).
-Rylai's Crystal Scepter (If your team lacks crowd control this can give Ryze powerful slowing effects).
Other Champion Guides
Ryze Gameplay and Commentary - By Vyzerio
General Ryze Gameplay Tips
Below are some general tips and guidelines that will help improve your Ryze gameplay:
- Don't be afraid to use your ultimate to push a lane (if that is what your team needs) it has a very low cooldown.
- To output maximum damage your combo should try to lead with Spell Flux (for the damage reduction effect), from there you want to alternate between Overload, Desperate Power, Rune Prison. Overload should be used in between each of your other skills as its cooldown will reset quickly due to Ryze's passive (and your full CDR).
- Be careful your Rune Prison can only hold enemies in place, they can still attack and use certain skills.
- Concentrate on snaring enemies that over commit in team fights, to allow your team to jump them. You can also use them to bounce a Spell Flux back into the enemy, lowering their magic resistance for your team (and yourself).
Early Game - (Level 1-6)
- Ryze's early game is all about farming minions (through auto-attacks) and harassing with Overload. If you are playing top lane the bush can be very effective.
- Spell Flux is especially potent early game if you can land multiple bounces (such as between yourself and your enemy).
- Punish aggression by using Rune Prison and Overload to quickly dwindle down your enemy.
- If you can land a your full spell combo early game (Spell Flux > Overload > Rune Prison > Overload), it can do some serious damage. Beware of its high mana cost though.
Mid Game - (Level 7-12)
- Harass your enemies with Q whenever they are in range, you want to consistently poke them. It also makes a great last hitting tool and will help you build that stacks on your Archangel Staff.
- Kill the blue golem and obtain the buff if possible, this will give you endless mana and massively reduced cooldowns, it is not a vital part of this build but it is helpful.
- Be careful when pushing lanes, you can destroy minions quickly but do minimal damage to towers and may attract more attention than you can handle, if you do push make sure Flash and Ghost are available to you.
- Rune Prison has a strong range, use it to catch enemies that over-extend just that little too much.
Late Game - (Level 13-18)
- Concentrate on putting out as much damage in team fights as possible, this will mostly come from Spell Flux and your ultimate. While your ultimate is active try to get out as many spells as possible, the area of effect damage will quickly add up and also heal you.
- Continue to focus on harassing with Overload whenever possible and snaring any enemies that overextend. Overload > Rune Prison > Overload is a very quick and powerful combo against a single target.
- Don't be afraid to get into the thick of things if required, you have decent defensive stats thanks to your item build.
Ryze Builds and Other LoL Pages
- Ryze Build Guide - The Peanut Head (Solomid)
Nukemumg offers his knowledge of how to play and build Ryze over at Solomid.
- Ryze Build Guide - The Professor's Guide (Solomid)
Deljase offers a great in depth Ryze guide and also considers a number of different lane matchups.
- LeagueCraft - Ryze Learning Centre Guide
This simple Ryze Guide over at Leaguecraft offers a great overview of playing Ryze.
- Mobafire: Ryze Build Guide - Protector of the Scroll
This Ryze build and guide is the best on Mobafire and is full of important information that will help any Ryze player.