League of Legends - Sona Guide and Build
League of Legends - Sona Guide and Build
Are you looking for an Sona guide or a Sona build? This page covers the basics of playing Sona effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Sona is a powerful support aura based champion. She is an incredible laning partner with strong early game damage output. She has the ability to heal allies, increase their damage and movement speed, making her team a very powerful pushing power.
This Sona guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Sona, it is recommended for people just starting to use Sona.
Don't own Sona? Or want to get your hands on a Sona skin from the Riot store? Get your own free RP codes.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v220.127.116.11.
This Sona guide is also available in quick summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Sona Over Powered?
Do You Think Sona Is Over Powered?
Power Chord (Passive): Sona's passive Power Chord gives her great early game harassment capabilities and correctly using the bonus effect is the key to Sona's true power. Sona's passive also provides another element of strategy to her gameplay.
Hymn of Valor (Q): Sona's main aura and damage ability, this is also very powerful early game for harassment especially when combined with her passive and the bonus effect. This should be the aura you are constantly activating.
Aria of Perseverance (W): Sona's second best ability, it is important to note that it is not a massive heal amount, but is more of a consistent heal, making it great for healing up any pokes from the enemy. You should be constantly swapping between this skill and Hymn of Valor. The Power Chord benefit of this spell is best against the enemies main damage dealer.
Song of Celerity (E): Sona's last aura grants a speed boost to champions and is more of a situational aura than the others as it is limited to two main uses: running away from enemies and chasing down enemies.
Crescendo (Ultimate): Sona's ultimate is good both offensively and defensively, as it provides enough time for allies to get away or enough time for them to damage the enemy significantly. You should always aim to trap several people in it.
Sona Skill Order
Sona's abilities are best levelled as follows:
Ult > Hymn of Valor > Aria of Perseverance > Song of Celerity
Hymn of Valor is maxed first to capitalise on Sona's powerful early game poke, hopefully getting her and her lane partner some kills.
Heal (Aria of Perseverance) is maxed second as it is Sona's main support skill and needs to be boosted around mid game when the team is in pushing mode. Celerity is maxed last as it is more situational and not used all of the time unlike her other two aura skills. Alternatively if your lane needs extra healing, you will want to max your heal first followed by Hymn of Valor.
Red (Marks) - Armor // Magic Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Armor // Mana Regeneration Per Level
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance Per Level // Cooldown Reduction Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Gold/10 Sec // Health
As a Support champion Sona needs to be durable in lane so she doesn't give away kills. By running Armor on both Seals and Marks it makes Sona tough enough to absorb incoming harassment. Depending on your available runes you can also run Magic Penetration Marks (to help boost your harassment damage and save some IP). If you have a hard time managing your mana then consider Mana Regeneration Seals.
Glyphs should be Magic Resistance Per Level to give you that extra defense boost or can be Cooldown depending on your available rune options. To finish off Sona's rune page you want to look towards Gold Generation Quints or Health.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Sona Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash and Exhaust are two perfect summoner spells for Sona. Flash allows you to escape from danger or initiate on the enemy (combined with your ultimate). Exhaust allows you to shut down the enemy carry and provides some soft crowd control for your team.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
As a support champion Sona has plenty of other summoner spell options and your choice will depend on your team setup, play style and lane partner. Heal, Clairvoyance and Ignite all offer benefits and can be used if they meet the needs of your team. But generally consider Exhaust as a good default.
League of Legends Pages
- Free RP - Claim Riot Points For LoL
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- MOBA Games List - Your Favourite Genre On A Single List
0/9/21 is a great mastery setup for Sona. This offers some good defensive stats to boost your survivability while also offering a number of important support masteries such as mana regeneration, gold generation, ward range and experience gained. As Sona has her own movement speed boost through Song of Celerity (E) you do not need the Swiftness mastery,
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Final Item Build:
-Aegis of the Legion
-Start with a Faerie Charm, Health Potions and Wards, this is the standard support build opening due to the mana regeneration and lane vision it offers.
-Your first goals as far as a Sona Build goes are Boots of Speed, extra wards and then looking towards Heart of Gold and Philosopher's Stone for wealth/gold generation, they also provide some good stats.
-One of the best support items available is Aegis of the Legion and as such is your first big item goal. Also consider Shurelya's Reverie to provide your team with a boost to mobility. Upgrading your boots to either Mercury's Treads or Boots of Swiftness is also important.
-If the game moves into late game some other important support items includeZeke's Herald to boost the damage output of your AD champions and also Frozen Heart to counter the enemy AD carry and reduce your own cooldowns.
-Boots of Swiftness (If the enemy lacks crowd control these work well with Sona's playstyle).
-Banshee's Veil (A good defensive item option).
-Will of the Ancients (Works well in AP heavy teams).
Other League of Legend Champion Guides
Sona Champion Spotlight - By Riot Games
General Sona Tips
- Early game you can focus on damaging and harassing enemies. Then you slowly make the transition into full support as the game continues.
- Sona builds (and support builds) are highly aura focused, you should stick with your team at all times to ensure they receive full benefits.
- Don't forget that a the support champion you generally take on the warding and oracle role on your team.
- When first playing Sona try not to focus on your passive too much during mid-late game as it can get confusing, it is something you will gradually learn to use effectively as you play her more often.
Level 1-6 (Early Game)
- Don't spam your skills too much as the mana cost can quickly add up. Concentrate on slowly switching between your Q (when the enemy is in range for the damage) and W (when your lane opponent needs healing as needed.
- Tracking your passive during the laning stage is easy, be sure to always use it to target a champion, for a chunk of damage (bonus effect relating to Hymn of Valor).
- Assess how the lane is going and decide which skill to max first, also consider if you need to build full boots quickly (if the enemy is aggressive).
Level 7-12 (Mid Game)
- You can still deal some damage but it should not be your main focus. Use your passive against champions less often as it is dangerous at this stage of the game.
- Start playing more defensively and stick to the back of your team, you are slowly transitioning into your support role
- Your ultimate should be used in team fights when the opportunity to catch maximum enemies arises. This may either an offensive or defensive reason.
Level 13-18 (Late Game)
- Focus on pushing with your team, Sona's auras turn your team into a massive pushing force with her healing, increased damage and movement speed capabilities.
- Making sure you save Exhaust for the enemy AD carry during this stage of the game is vital.
- Don't forget to use Clairvoyance (if you have it), as it is great to check Baron and track down any enemies that linger by themselves.
- Always be right at the back of your team, your abilities and the auras on your items have good range and you are no good to your team if you die first.
More Sona Guides and Builds
- Sona Build Guide - S4 Support Sona (Solomid)
A guide that offers plenty of good advice when playing Sona.
- LeagueCraft - Fined Tuned Supporting
This fine tuned Sona guide offers a wealth of knowledge and offers a massive amount of analysis relating to Sona.
- Mobafire: Sona Build Guide - Support Sona tl;dr
This Sona guide is very deserving of its title and is simply massive, astrolia has done a great job at piecing everything together.