- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
League of Legends - Taric Guide and Build
League of Legends - Taric Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Taric guide or a Taric build? This page covers the basics of playing Taric effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Taric is a powerful support champions in League of Legends. Taric has a strong heal, a reliable stun and a defensive aura that increases his and his allies armor. Taric excels at increasing the stats of his allies but can also decrease the armor of his enemies. While Taric's fashion sense may be questionable his support potential definitely is not.
This Taric guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Taric, it is recommended for people just starting to use Taric.
Don't own Taric? Or want to get a Taric skin from the official Riot Store? Learn how to get free Riot Point cards for League of Legends.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v18.104.22.168
This Taric guide is also available in quick summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Taric Over Powered?
Do You Think Taric Is Too Powerful?
Gemcraft (Passive): An okay passive, you generally shouldn't be auto-attacking (as it pushes the wave forward) but if you manage to sneak a few in then you can keep your mana pool up compared to other supports.
Imbue (Q): A very strong heal with decent Ability Power scaling, this skill should always be focused on an ally to improve its healing effect (of course if your alone then use it on yourself). This skill combines very well with Taric's passive during the laning phase as its cooldown is decreased with each auto-attack and is stronger if you attack a champion, making duels against Taric very deadly.
Shatter (W): A powerful armor boost allows Taric to be surprisingly resistant to physical damage this armor boost also applies to his allies, making it an amazing defensive aura. The active portion is great for some mid-game burst damage and also to boost physical damage for your team, this also makes Taric very deadly in early bottom lane duels.
Dazzle (E): A very reliable and good range stun makes Taric a very deadly support champion. This skill is simply amazing for setting up ganks and protecting your allies and makes Taric a unique support pick due to this hard crowd control.
Radiance (Ultimate): Taric's ultimate gives him good area of effect damage to use in team fights. It also provides a solid boost to his allies damage output (through attack damage and ability power buffs). This skill is great for downing towers quickly when needed and also allows Taric to heal more while also causing some melee damage if need be.
Taric Skill Order
Taric's skills are best levelled as follows:
Radiance > Imbue > Shatter > Dazzle
Taking Dazzle at level 1 gives you a reliable stun and is great for level 1 team fights. Maxing Imbue first is a no-brainer as it easily Taric's best support skill and scales well with levels, despite the steady increase in mana cost. If you find yourself in a semi-passive lane and don't need the extra healing then maxing Shatter second can more effectively reduce harassment, while saving you mana and giving you some more damage output in fights. It all depends on how your lane and the enemy lane is playing.
Shatter is maxed second as the armor gained from the passive effect increases with each level, while also giving you a little bit more damage. Dazzle is left till last as the duration of the stun does not increase with each rank.
Red (Marks) - Magic Penetration // Armor
Yellow (Seals) - Mana Regeneration Per Level // Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance Per Level // Cooldown Reduction Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Health // Gold/10 Sec
Magic Penetration Marks gives Taric alittle bit more damage through Shatter and Dazzle but is not vital and can easily be replaced by Armor as you are a support orientated champion (Magic Penetration just allows you to save Influence Points on runes).
Running Mana Regeneration on Seals gives you good mana regeneration, which is one Taric's weaknesses although if you don't find yourself having mana issues then Armor is a great option. Glyphs can be Magic Resistance Per Level to make you tanky or cooldown reduction depending on your available rune collection.
To finish off your rune book you want to run Flat Health on Quintessences, if you find yourself playing the support role often then you can consider buying some Gold/10 runes.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Taric Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash and Exhaust are your standard summoner spells for Taric, Flash is invaluable as an escape mechanic and also allows you to flash and stun enemies allowing you to setup kills. Exhaust allows you to shut down the enemy carry in lane and also gives you some battlefield control.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Ignite is another potentially summoner is the enemy is running a healing focused team composition (but is generally not needed. Heal and Clairvoyance are other summoner spell options that can be taken as they both provide good team utility.
- Free RP - Claim Riot Points For League of Legends
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- Games Finder - Your Home For MOBA Gaming
Running a 0/4/26 offers Taric plenty of important masteries. The defensive tree offers some extra resistances and health while the utility tree gives you extra ward vision, some important mana related masteries, gold generation, cooldown and bonus experience to help you keep up in levels.
If you want some extra defenses or play aggressively in lane (and thus attract lots of minion aggro) then consider moving some points in Tough Skin. You can either go further into the defensive tree if this suits your playstyle.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Final Item Build:
-Aegis of the Legion
-Start with a Faerie Charm, Health Potions and Wards. This gives mana regeneration and also provides lane vision, a minimum of 3 wards is usually recommended.
-First item goals include Boots of Speed and more wards and then looking towards Philosopher's Stone and Heart of Gold for gold generation. Both these items also provide some good stats such as mana regeneration, health regeneration and health.
-Aegis of the Legion is your next purchase along with Shurelya's Reverie to give your team more mobility. Of course you should also be buying wards for your team. Upgrading your boots to either Mercury's Treads or Boots of Lucidity is also a priority.
-If the game goes late and your looking for other support items to build you want to look towards Zeke's Herald (health, cooldown reduction and a good boost to your AD carry with attack speed and life steal).
-Also consider Frozen Heart to counter the enemy AD while also boosting your mana pool and reducing your cooldowns.
-Banshee's Veil (A good defensive item if you need to tank up).
-Will of the Ancients (If you have an AP heavy team support them with this).
-Abyssal Scepter (Another good item to help the mages in your team).
League of Legends: Taric Ranked Commentary - By SeelyonGaming
General Taric Tips
- Your stun is what separates Taric from the other supports, be sure to make good use of it.
- Be careful of Ignite on both you and your allies, it can severely weaken your healing effects.
- When possible you want to hit as many enemies with your ultimate for maximum damage output. Sometimes this will be too risky, in this case you want to simply cast it for the buff it provides to your allies. it can make the difference between winning and losing fights.
- Always try to focus your Imbue on somebody else as this will maximise your overall healing.
Level 1-6 (Early Game)
- Taric can afford to play aggressively in lane thanks to his stun, try to sneak in the odd auto-attack if you find yourself running low on mana.
- If the enemy is pushing your tower hard, then auto-attack as much as possible to keep your mana levels high and your heal off cooldown.
- Keep your lane partner healed up and use your stun to protect them from any aggressive moves from the enemy. You can also camp in the bushes to zone them out.
Level 7-12 (Mid Game)
- Through mid-game you have some decent burst against squishy enemy characters. Use shatter to give your team some extra burst damage throughout this stage in the game.
- Stay with your team, you do not need farm. Your only effective when you are either with your team or ganking with a partner.
- The small buffs provided by your ultimate give you some added melee damage to help your allies in skirmishes. It may be the difference between a kill.
- Start considering what aura items will benefit your team the most. Also consider what defensive items you will need.
Level 13-18 (Late Game)
- Concentrate on healing any pokes from the enemy (healing carries over tanks) and using your stun to lock down enemies that over-commit.
- Generally at this stage of the game you do not want to use Shatter, the aura is more beneficial to your team.
- If the enemy catches your team off-guard focus your stun on protecting your carry, while healing them.
- When your skills are on cooldown use your auto-attacks, to bring heal off of cooldown and regenerate your mana. This also will put you at the front lines absorbing damage for your team (Taric is quite a durable support).
Other League of Legends Pages and Guides
- Taric Build Guide - Anti-AD Top Laner (Solomid)
This Taric guide goes really in depth into some alternative approaches to playing Taric.
- Taric Build Guide - Support Taric (Solomid)
Another popular Taric guide available on Solomid, has a good discussion on the different ways to build Taric.
- Mobafire: Taric Build Guide - Why Gems Are Truly Outrageous
Kinesis covers plenty of important issues in this great Taric build.
- LeagueCraft - Earth Bound Supporting Taric Guide
A massive write-up about the pros and cons of a number of different methods of approaching Taric.