League of Legends - Vladimir Guide and Build
League of Legends - Vladimir Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Vladimir guide or a Vladimir build? This page covers the basics of playing Vladimir effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
If you like vampires then Vladimir may be the champion for you. Vladimir is a durable champion that has the ability to heal himself. His passive allows him to build AP power and sill get tanky as it coverts AP into health (and vice versa).
Vladimir works very well when combined with other area of effect champions, maximising the effect of his ultimate. Vladimir can be played in the mid or top lane.
This Vladimir guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Vladimir, it is recommended for people just starting to use Vladimir.
Don't own Vladimir? Want a Vladimir Skin? Or just need more Rune Pages? Claim some free Riot Points to purchase Vladimir.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v188.8.131.52
This Vladamir guide is also available in quick summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Vladimir Over Powered?
Is Vladimir Too Strong?
Crimson Pact (Passive) Vladimir's passive makes Vladimir very durable even if you only build Ability Power, at full build it adds up to a decent amount of extra health.
Transfusion (Q) This skill costs nothing to cast and is Vladimir's bread and butter ability. It has a very low cooldown at maximum level and is great for sustaining yourself in lane and poking the enemy.
Sanguine Pool (W) This is an amazing escape skill and allows Vladimir to avoid a lot of abilities. It also packs a powerful area of effect slow that is great for helping your allies escape or catch up to an enemy
Tides of Blood (E) This skill is a nice addition and synergises well with Vladimir's abilities. This skill is best used towards the mid-late game period as it can quickly drain your health. It is a strong farming tool and also is a powerful area of effect ability in team fights (as well as a nice addition to your combo in 1v1 situations). It is important to try keep Tides of Bloods at max stacks when you anticipate you will be engaging the enemy.
Hemoplague (Ultimate) Vladimir's ultimate can completely destroy a team if placed correctly, it provides a solid damage boost against enemies that are inflicted so it is vital you hit as many enemies as possible.
Vladimir Skill Order
Ult > Transfusion > Tides of Blood > Sanguine Pool
You want to max Transfusion first as it is your main source of damage and sustain during the laning phase. While grabbing a point in Sanguine Pool second allows you to escape any early ganks. Tides of Blood should be yours second maxed ability for the damage boost it provides you but if you find yourself being the target of ganks a few more points in Sanguine Pool will greatly reduce its cooldown.
Red (Marks) - Magic Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Health Per Level // Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Ability Power Per Level // Magic Resistance
Purple (Quintessences) - Ability Power // Spell Vamp // Movement Speed // Health
Magic Penetration is important on Vladimir just like any other caster and so it is taken on Marks to increase damage output. On Seals you can either runt Health Per Level and Armor. Health triggers your passive and is best in mid lane while Armor is best to use top lane to reduce incoming damage from any AD bruisers your matched up against.
Glyphs are best run as AP Per Level to again work with your passive can be Magic Resistance if you want to play more defensive early game.
Quintessences is where the options really open up for Vladimir. Ability Power is a great default choice for the damage output it offers (while also triggering your passive). Other options include Spell Vamp for some early sustain, Movement speed to harass your enemy or Health as a defensive choice.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Vladimir Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash is a must inclusion in Vladimir's summoner spells, it provides him with a powerful chase and escape ability which is important as he lacks any hard crowd control (stuns, snares etc.) Ignite is also too good to pass up as it synergises so well with Vladimir's ultimate and also adds to his burst potential.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Depending on your playstyle Ghost may work better for you then Flash. It is important run either Ghost or Flash, there is no reason to take both.
More League of Legends Pages
- Free RP - Claim Riot Points For LoL
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- 30+ Alternatives To League of Legends - The Rise of MOBA Gaming
Vladimir Masteries - Running Vladimir 21/9/0
Vladimir gets great benefit from focusing on the offensive tree (like any other mage). As most of the early utility tree skills focus on mana Vladimir gets the most benefit from committing to the defense tree. This tree will give you some extra armor/magic resistance while also boosting your health (and thus your passive).
For mid lane Vladimir max out magic resistance, while top lane will want to max out the armor mastery.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Final Item Build:
-Will of the Ancients
-Rylai's Crystal Scepter
-Vladimir's strongest starting item is Boots and 3 Health Potions, this provides some movement speed and sustain which allows you to maximise your farming time in lane.
-Your first core item on Vladimir is Hextech Revolver, this boosts your ability power while also fitting into Vladimir's playstyle by boosting your self healing potential.
-If you are struggling in lane you can consider a Spirit Visage (mid lane) or a Doran's Shield (top lane), both of these items offer some sort of healing and resistance against your direct lane opponent.
-Your mid game core items on Vladimir should always be Rabadon's Deathcap and Rylai's Crystal Scepter, these offer strong damage, some health (which becomes more AP) and a slow which gives Vladimir some much needed crowd control (even if its only a slow).
-From here your game items will depend on the situation, finishing your Will of the Ancients is always a strong choice. While Zhonya's Hourglass rounds out your defenses (and also comes with a strong active).
-If the game goes late you'll want to consider a Void Staff to break through enemy magic resistance.
-Abyssal Scepter (If you need some magic resistance).
-Quicksilver Sash (To counter enemy crowd control).
-Guardian Angel (A strong passive which also boosts your resistances).
Vladimir Champion Spotlight - By Riot Games
General Vladimir TIps
- Vladimir is fragile early game (due to his long cooldowns and lack of crowd control) but can completely dominant the mid game, it is very important to understand this and play carefully early on.
- Beware about initiating with Sanguine Pool it is important to use it towards the end of the fight to escape or slow your enemies for your allies.
- Always save your ultimate for at least two enemies late game, it is very powerful and can turn a battle in your favour.
- If you get hit by Ignite or a reduced healing skill its important to hang back as your survivability is compromised.
- Always use your ultimate before unleashing your combo (including ignite) as this will increase your overall damage.
- Focus on last hitting through auto-attacks and Transfusion, you have very limited harassment at the moment.
- Do not engage in a direct fight with your enemy, Transfusion has a very long cooldown so you will be relying mainly on your weak auto-attacks.
- If the enemy is harassing you heavily focus your Transfusion on them, this may hurt your overall farm but will ensure they back off and play less aggressively.
- Play defensively when Transfusion is on cooldown, making sure you are behind minions and out of range of the enemy champion.
- Begin focusing your harassment on the enemy as your Transfusion is now on an extremely low cooldown.
- Start roaming the map if possible, to push your mid game dominance.
- Keep the farm going use Transfusion, Sanguine Pool & Tides of Blood. You can push lanes very fast with your combo, but be careful about using Sanguine Pool to farm as you lose your escape ability.
- Pick on the enemy carries, you can kill them very quickly and/or stop them from farming and force them to buy an early Banshee's Veil, putting their damage behind.
- Start focusing on landing good ultimates, hitting maximum enemies.
- Don't use your ultimate if your team is retreating or out of position, you will not be able to make use of the % damage increase.
- Start keeping Tides of Blood stacked and ready for team fights, it is a great increase to healing/regeneration and has powerful area of effect damage.
- Poke at the enemy with Transfusion, Movement Speed Quintessences are very helpful for your poking. You can also use Sanguine Pool to avoid any crowd control skills that they attempt to trap you with.
More League of Legneds Pages
- Vladimir Build Guide - Top Lane Vladimir (Solomid)
Covers how to play Vladimir in the top lane.
- Vladimir Build Guide - Solo Lane Vladimir (Solomid)
Master Vladimir in the solo lane environment in this guide.
- Mobafire: Vladimir Build Guide
An in depth Vladimir guide that tackles some dicussion from a unique angle.