League of Legends - Xin Zhao Guide and Build (Jungle and Top)
League of Legends - Season 3 Xin Zhao Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Season 3 Xin Zhao guide or a Xin Zhao build? This page covers the basics of playing Xin Zhao (Jungle and Top) effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Xin Zhao is a tanky melee champion who can jungle or lane. In jungle he offers great ganking abilities with his dash, slow and knock-up. While in lane he has an incredible presence and is very proficient in 1v1 battles.
This Xin Zhao guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Xin Zhao, it is recommended for people just starting to use Xin Zhao.
Don't own Xin Zhao? Or want to get one of the many Xin Zhao skins available? Enter free RP promotions now for your chance at some Riot Points.
Guide current as of Season 3: Release Notes v3.02.
This Xin Zhao guide is also available in summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Xin Zhao An Over Powered Champion?
Do You Find Xin Zhao Over Powered?
Xin Zhao Skills
Tireless Warrior (Passive): Xin Zhao's passive essentially gives him a great damage output boost and makes him particularly deadly in top lane as he has a free % armor reduction.
Three Talon Strike (Q): The primary utility of this skill comes from the knock-up effect it provides (and the cooldown reduction), it also adds some good damage. The activation of this skill is very obvious so don'y activate it too early.
Battle Cry (W): Xin Zhao passively gains attack speed and life from this skill, making him more deadly in exchanges and also speeds up his jungle. The skill can be activated to double the amount making him deceptively strong.
Audacious Charge (E): An amazing ability that allows Xin Zhao to close the gap between him and his enemies while slowing them in the process. This is a very effective ganking ability and combined with Three Talon Strike gives him decent crowd control to use against an enemy.
Crescent Sweep (Ultimate): Xin Zhao's ultimate makes him a great initiator thanks to the bonus it provides. Your goal with Xin Zhao's ultimate is to hit as many enemies as possible early in a team fight to maximise your damage and defensive bonus. You can also use it to separate your enemies or isolate an important target with the knockback.
Xin Zhao Skill Order - (Jungle Xin Zhao & Solo Top Xin Zhao)
Ultimate > Three Talon Strike > Battle Cry > Audacious Charge
Maxing Three Talon Strike gives you plenty of damage potential while following up with Battle Cry second gives you a solid boost of attack speed (and thus damage and healing). Taking a point in Battle Cry and Audacious Charge early is important to round out your skill kit and give you some lane/jungle sustain.
Commando Xin Zhao
Xin Zhao Runes - Rune Book for Xin Zhao
Red (Marks) - Armor Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Attack Damage // Health
Armor Penetration are your go to rune for Marks and allow you to get past some of the enemies armor. By running armor on Seals you'll be able to reduce the damage you receive and this is combined with magic resist per level Glyphs to make you more tanky. If you know you are going to be laning against a magic champion (Rumble, Kennen or Vladimir) then consider flat magic resistance Glyphs instead.
Quintessences can be run as attack damage to increase your damage and last hitting ability or can be used to increase your survivability with Health.
For more information on runes and jungle Xin Zhao rune options see this Rune Guide.
Xin Zhao Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash is a must have escape skill these days and is no exception on Xin Zhao. By combining it with Ignite you have the extra power needed to secure kills early on allowing you to potentially get a strong lead in the lane.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Exhaust is another option when you are playing Xin Zhao and allows you to shut down an enemy during battles and fights. It is generally considered that Ignite will secure you more kills early game when compared with Exhaust though (but like most things in LoL it is a personal preference). Of course Smite is included here for those of you looking to play jungle Xin Zhao.
Other League of Legends Pages:
- Free RP - How To Get Riot Points For Champions & Skins
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- 30+ Alternatives To League of Legends - The Rise of MOBA Gaming
Xin Zhao Masteries - Xin Zhao Mastery Build
A tanky DPS mastery setup is best for Xin Zhao focusing on the offensive and defensive tree. The offensive tree offers important stats like improved summoner spells, armor penetration and some life-steal (great for sustain). As a Ghostblade is an important part of this Xin Zhao build the extra 10% critical strike damage from the offensive tree (Lethality) can add up quickly for damage.
While the defensive tree comes with improved defenses and health.
You are free to move some points around such as putting a point in Summoner's Resolve (if you are playing jungle Xin Zhao) or placing points into Butcher to help last hitting.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Xin Zhao Build
Jungle and Top Lane
Final Item Build:
-Mercury's Treads or Ninja Tabi
-Start with Boots & 3 Health Potions so you can play aggressively in your lane. If you are in a tough match-up then consider Cloth Armor & 5 Health Potions but becareful of the loss in movement speed.
-Depending on your lane match-up you can either build 1 or 2 Doran's Blades or rush a Phage for the health and powerful slow it offers.
-This early stage is also the time to consider a Heart of Gold to build up your gold (you can turn it into a Randuin's Omen later).
-From here Brutalizer is a good damage option since it offers cooldown and and armor penetration.
-The order in which you build your final items will depend heavily on the game. If you need more damage then look towards Black Cleaver and Wit's End while defensive options are covered by finishing your Frozen Mallet and Randuin's Omen.
-Wriggle's Lantern (If you are playing jungle Xin Zhao then you want to build this).
-Madred's Bloodrazor (If the enemy has several high HP targets).
-Guardian Angel (More defenses and a strong late game passive).
-Banshee's Veil (If the enemy is magic heavy).
More League of Legends Guides:
Xin Zhao: Champion Spotlight
Xin Zhao Tips
Xin Zhao Tips & Tricks
- Sometimes as Xin Zhao a well-time suicide with your ultimate will benefit the team. If you are likely to die it is often worth getting your ultimate off on as many enemies as possible (and splitting them up for your team).
- Xin Zhao can be built very differently each game, see what your team needs and build accordingly. Sometimes it will be pure damage, sometimes off-tank and sometimes you will need to build solely to initiate with your ultimate.
- Don't forget to activate Battle Cry before you fight, good timing can dramatically boost your damage.
Early Game Tips (1-6)
- Bush camping as Xin Zhao is extremely effective, use Audacious Charge on any enemy that comes to close.
- If you need HP and the enemy cannot or is not harassing you, focus on getting lots of auto-attacks in without getting hurt as you will recover HP every 3 attacks.
- Audacious Charge and Three Talon Strike can net Xin Zhao lots of early game kills especially with the help of your jungler.
- Early its very hard to get a knock-up using Three Talon Strike on your enemy due to your low attack speed and the small slow on Audacious Charge. To counter this activate Three Talon Strike and use one or two attacks on minions before charging to the enemy.
Mid Game Tips (7-12)
- Start jungling and collecting the neutral buffs, then start ganking and pushing lanes appropriately.
- You are a very strong tower destroyer at this stage of the game with your Battle Cry active, don't be afraid to make strong pushes.
- Your damage is not amazing at this point of the game, but your slow from Audacious Charge and knock-up from Three Talon Strike give Xin Zhao amazing team utility.
- Be careful when using your ultimate to initiate on the enemy team, you are unlikely to be tanky enough yet. So use it in 2v2 and 3v3 situations mostly. In full team fights, initiate only after the tank.
Late Game Tips (13-18)
- If you are building as the team initiator its time to start jumping in with Audacious Charge and your ultimate.
- If your team doesn't have a jungler it should be your job to control the jungle, grab the various buffs and be aware of the dragon's status.
- Your main team fight goal should involve targeting the enemy carry and activating your ultimate to hit as many enemies as possible. Your ultimate is best used early as it deals damage based on their current health. Using it early will also boost your survivability from the start of the fight.
- You can use Battle Cry on minion waves in between fights to bring your ultimate back from cooldown.
Imperial Xin Zhao
More Xin Zhao Guides and Builds
- Jungle Xin Zhao Build Guide (Solomid)
One of the best jungle Xin Guides available.
- Xin Zhao Build Guide - Tank (Solomid)
This Xin Zhao guide over at Solomid covers all the ins and outs of playing Xin Zhao top lane and transition into an end game tank.
- Mobafire: Xin Zhao Build Guide - Xin Zhao Ranked
A guide to playing Xin Zhao in ranked games (bot, jungle and top lane).
- LeagueCraft - Twisted Treeline Xin Zhao Guide
Looking for a Twisted Treeline guide? This Xin Zhao guide by EnhanceGaming has you covered.