- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
It's Poncho Weather!
You've seen them on the runway and you want one of your own - a Poncho. I have a way to make a poncho for every mood or day of the week - and it's easy! There is no sewing involved! There is no need for perfection! It is a perfect arts & craft project for the arts & craft challenged and the arts & craft expert! Everyone can make a poncho that looks great!
I learned this technique recently and finished the project in 1-1/2 hours (start to finish!). This project could be adjusted for child size. It is simple enough that a child could make their own poncho!
The poncho to the left is the actual poncho I created! Thanks to Betty S. for the wonderful directions!
Supplies needed for a No-Sew Poncho
1-1/4-yard thick polyester fleece in a 60-inch width (Plaid is great to work with because the lines can serve as a cutting guide!)
Masking or Painters Tape
Fabric Scissors with about a 4-inch blade
That's all! What could be simpler! The painters tape and scissors can be found at local Dollar-type stores. Sorry, fleece isn't available at dollar stores yet!
Here's my favorite pair of scissors - they cut like butter!
Gingher G-5 5 inch Knife Edge Sewing Craft Scissors
Hancock Fabrics in our town has an amazing selection of fleece fabric; prints, solids, and even team prints: Up to 50% off Hancock Fabrics - Fleece!.
Steps 1 & 2 for No Sew Poncho
1. Cut two 30-inch by 45-inch rectangles of the fleece.
2. Place one rectangle right side up on a flat surface; lay the other rectangle right side up on top of the first on so the pieces match.
Steps 3 & 4 for No Sew Fleece Poncho
3. Mark off the rectangles with the tape - 4 inches in from all sides - edge to edge. This will make the inside edge of your fringe.
4. Cut out the corners that are formed by the tape, this will give you 4-inch squares for scraps.
Reversible No Sew Fleece Poncho Videos
Steps 5 & 6 for No Sew Fleece Poncho
5. Measure 15 inches in on one side of the 45-inch length side of the fabric rectangle. This will form the collar of the poncho.
6. Begin cutting the fringe through both pieces of fabric, 1-inch wide by 4-inches down this edge and around the entire garment. Leaving the 15 inch collar on the side that you began on.
Two-Tone No Sew Poncho Videos
Steps 7, 8, & 9 for No Sew Fleece Poncho
7. Line up the collars in an "L" shape (outside edge of one collar to the inside corner of the other).
8. Begin to tie the fringe in a knot making sure to tie all the knots in the same direction so they will lie flat.
9. Line up the other edges of the collars and do the same knot tying down that edge. This will always line up the short side with a long side that has a collar length on it.
Videos to Make a No Sew Fleece Poncho for Children
Step 10 of the No Sew Fleece Poncho - You're Done!
Put your garment on and enjoy wearing it, or give it to someone as a gift!
More Poncho's to Buy
So you really can't even connect with scissors - buy your own and tell people you made it your own!