- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games
Resident Evil 5
Survival Horror 3rd Person Shooter
Resident Evil 5 (also known as Biohazard 5 in Japan) is the evolution of Resident Evil survival horror video game series. The game is developed and published by Capcom and was officially released on March 13, 2009 for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 platforms. The Windows (PC) version of the game was released later on September 15, 2009.
The game utilizes the same gameplay model as Resident Evil 4, with some themes from the original RE. It features improved graphics, new types of foes, great enemy AI, and online co-op play. You can find more information about the game such as RE5 features, screenshots and trailers.
Resident Evil 5 is a sequel to the Resident Evil series. The game has Chris Redfield as it's protagonist and takes place about ten years after the events of the original Resident Evil. Chris is a member of a group known as Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance (BSAA), and sent to investigate an incident in a desert area in Africa. He is assisted by a female character named Sheva Alomar who is an agent of the West African branch of the BSAA. The game has picked up the best parts of Resident Evil 4 and improved them further:
- Better Graphics: an advanced version of Capcom's MT Framework engine brings groundbreaking graphics and effects to Kijuju, the highly-developed environment where the action takes place. New, lifelike lighting schemes highlight the contrast between harsh sunlight and extreme darkness, and when you move from one to the other, you'll have to wait for your character's eyes to adjust before you can see clearly, adding to the suspense and challenge of moving through the dangerous game world.
- Co-op Gameplay: the new cooperative game play focuses on dual-agent missions, highlighting the ways in which Redfield and Alomar must combine their efforts to survive, while still allowing them to split up and work solo. To help you maximize the potential of this setup, two player online and offline co-op modes ensure that you have choices when picking a partner.
- Powerful New Enemies: you'll face new foes with faster reflexes and much improved AI, created to be as dangerous alone as they are in groups and to keep even experienced Resident Evil players on the edge of their seats. Thankfully, they're not the only ones who have evolved. The game also offers access to new weapons that further extend your destructive capabilities.
- Improved Gameplay: the updated, quick select inventory system allows for real-time inventory management, as well as letting characters trade items and allowing you to place an item on the directional pad for instant access.
Chainsaw Majini, a Powerful Enemy Encountered in RE5
Resident Evil 5 Trailer
Rate the Game
How would you rate RE5?
The game was received positively, with all versions of it getting respectable aggregate scores of over 80 at MetaCritic. RE5 for PS3, for example, is rated at 84 by the critics. The user score is a bit lower at 7.5, with several users noting that it is more about action rather than horror, and complaining about the inability to move while shooting. There also was some controversy regarding alleged racism in the game, although the accusations turned out to be mostly unfounded.