Swiftlet House Plan
From Dark Musty Caves to Newly Constructed Swiftlet Houses
For generations, swiftlets has been known to build their nest in caves in deep jungle. As time changes and their population booming, it is observed that these birds have ventured into old buildings. People are assuming that swiftlets prefers these buildings due to its mustiness and aged smell which is similar to the dark caves that had been their habitat for long.
However, due to continuing observations of swiftlets enthusiast, these attributes such as darkness, humidity, roving spaces that attract swiftlets can be applied in the building new bird houses to attract these birds to build their precious nests.
Photo from: www.horizonsunlimited.com depicting the centuries old swiftlet collection in the Niah Caves, Sarawak
Type of Swiftlet Houses and Its Cost
There are several type of constructing the swiftlets houses:
1) Converting Top Floors of Shop Buildings
- One of the most effective and cheaper ways of building swiftlet house, as the building has existed as well as the owner would be able to use the first floor to conduct his business dealings.
- One need to do relatively minor renovation in term of ensuring swiftlet roving inside the building as well as the plank design.
- Estimated cost as for 20' x 60'/20' x 70'/20'x80' building:-
i) 1 Floor = RM 40,000
ii) 2 Floors = RM 80,000
iii) 3 Floors = RM 120,000
2) Building Custom Made Swiftlets House
- Depending on how many floors the swiftlet house would eventually be, the estimated cost including construction as well as the inside nesting planks and the sound equipments (but excluding water and electricty) are as follow:-
i) 20' x 80' x 1 floor = RM 140,000
ii) 20' x 80' x 2 floors = RM 240,000
iii) 20' x 80' x 3 floors = RM 340,000
iv) 20' x 80' x 4 floors = RM 550,000
v) 20' x 80' x 5 floors = RM 650,000
The budget is for estimated purpose, some consultant might quote higher while some which may do it DIY style might eventually occur massive savings from the estimated consultant prices.
Picture: Kg Cina, Kuala Terengganu with its row of colonial shophouses are said to be the pioneer of swiftlet farming in Terengganu, Malaysia.
Three Storey Swiftlet House by TirokSwifts
Tirok Swiftlet has generously share his swiftlet house plan built in Kampung Tirok Terengganu. The link also includes guide to newbies.
A Two Storey Birdhouse by Pak Harry
Pak Harry is a swiftlet enthusiast with lots of new and radical ideas. Here's a glimpse of his so call full-proof birdhouse design with option to purchase the drafts copy. A must read blog.
Another Proposed Swiftlet House Design
This entry is an actual suggestion for a swiftlet house design just for thoughts of whether it would be a succesful swiftlet house plan or not.
A Swiftlet Birdnest Under Construction
This is not the plan per se.. but you can actually gauge the layout as well as measurement on how the birdhouse is created. David Gan also gave some tips on what to expect and do while contemplating to build up a swiftlet birdhouse.
A Must Have Reference for Swiftlets Enthusiasts
Make Millions from Swiftlet Farming - A Definative Guide by Dr. Christopher Lim
Birdhouse Plan Discussion in Low Yat Forum
This is a good discussion tread on building bird house as well as some good tips.