- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games
Black Hawk Down - Team Sabre
Delta Force Black Hawk Down - Team Sabre Expansion Pack
In one of my previous articles (Black Hawk Down - A Comparison Of Two First Person Shooter Games), I compared two first person shooter PC games based on the movie "Black Hawk Down". One of these games was Delta Force Black Hawk Down released by Novalogic in 2003 and the other was Army Ranger Mogadishu released by Groove Games in 2005. In January 2004 Novalogic released an expansion pack to Delta Force Black Hawk Down, which is titled "Team Sabre". In this article I am going to describe this expansion pack. I am only going to discuss here what is new or different compared to the original game. If you are interested in the basic Delta Force Black Hawk Down game, please visit www.squidoo.com/blackhawkgames.
Now take a look at the Team Sabre expansion pack.
The Team Sabre expansion pack offers 5 missions in Colombia and 6 missions in Iran. Unlike the basic DFBHD game, which is based on actual events, these new missions are entirely fictional.
The situation in Colombia: US Intelligince has revealed that the infamous Colombian drug lord Antonia Paulo is trying to increase his power in Colombia. The drug lord employs an army of well-armed guerillas. In Colombia, US Forces have to shut down the drug lord's illegal activities and finally, to kill him.
The situation in Iran: a Western-friendly administration comes to power in Iran. Fundamentalist hardliners want to regain control over Iran, so they take up arms against the new administration. The rebels are led by General Kalb. NATO an UN have both agreed that military intervention, led by the United States, is warranted. In Iran, NATO Forces have to defeat the insurgency and finally, to kill General Kalb.
1. SAS Commandos: the Special Air Service (SAS) is a special forces regimant of the British Army. The SAS together with the Special Boat Service (SBS), the Special Reconnaisance Regiment (SRR), and the Special Forces Support Group (SFSG) form the United Kingdom Special Forces under the command of the Director Special Forces. The SAS conducts special operations in wartime, and mostly counter-insurgency in peacetime. The SAS was established during WW2 (in 1941, to be precise), and its existence was not officially acknowledged until 1980. In 1980, Iranian separatists had seized the Iranian Embassy in London. SAS troops have retaken the Embassy from the separatists. This incident brought the SAS to the world's attention.
In Team Sabre, the SAS Soldier is a playable character, though you can play with the SAS commandos in one only one mission ( "Kharg Island Infiltration" in Iran). In other missions, where they appear, they are mainly support troops.
2. Hostages: On several missions there are hostages that you have to rescue. On the mission "Doroud Oil Drilling Platform", the hostages are the oil workers who have worked on the platform. On the mission "Rebel Mountain Stronhold", the hostage is a fellow Delta Force operator. You will also have to rescue hostages on the mission "Jungle Raid".
3. Firefighters: They appear in the mission "Gachsaran Oil Field". They have to shut down the burning oil well so that it stops burning. They wear a protective coat.
4. Colombian guerillas: They are the enemy in the missions in Colombia. They are either equipped with an AK-47 or an RPG.
5. Antonio Paulo: He is the drug lord, the boss enemy in Colombia.
6. Colombian civilians: They are harmless, innocent civilians, you have to spare them during the game.
7. Iranian regular troops: The enemy under the command of General Kalb. They are either equipped with an AK-47 or an RPG.
8. Iranian rebels: The enemy who fight alongside Iranian regular troops against NATO Forces. They are either equipped with an AK-47 or an RPG.
9. Iranian civilians: They are harmless, innocent civilians. You always have to avoid civilian casualties.
1. G3A3 battle rifle: This is a 7.62x51mm NATO caliber rifle. It has two settings, fully automatic and semi-automatic. It is fed from a 20-round detachable box magazine. You carry 300 rounds of ammunition if you select this weapon. It features iron sights to sight in when necessary.
2. G36 assault rifle: This is a 5.56x45mm NATO caliber assault rifle. It is fed from a 30-round detachable box magazine. In the gmae, it has two settings, fully automatic and semi-automatic. In reality, full-auto and semi-auto really are the most common settings, though this gun can be equipped with various trigger groups to fire 2 or 3 round bursts. You carry 300 rounds of ammunition if you select this weapon. This gun features red dot sights which is different than the one used on the CAR-15 assault rifle (which is duscussed in my previous article).
3. PSG-1 sniper rifle: This is a mid-range semi-automatic sniper rifle in 7.62x51mm NATO caliber. Only semi-automatic fire is available. The PSG-1 is fed from a 20-round detachable box magazine. You carry 200 rounds of ammunition if you select this weapon. This rifle is equipped with a telescopic sight. Maximum scope magnification available: 8x.
4. MK19 grenade launcher: It is a 40mm belt-fed automatic grenade launcher (grenade machine gun). It is an emplaced weapon. Interestingly enough, this is an enemy weapon in the game, although in reality it is a US Military weapon. Also, in the game it is semi-automatic, while in reality, it is fully automatic.
1. Sikorsky MH-53 Pave Low helicopter: It is a long-range C-SAR (Combat Search a rescue) helicopter primarily used by the US Air Force. It is also used by various US Special Operations Forces. This helicopter is primarily used for low-level, long-range, undetected penetration into denied areas, for infiltration, exfiltration, and resupply of special operations forces.
2. RHIB (Rigid-hulled Inflatable Boat): It is a light-weight, high-performance, high buoyancy, all-weather, high-capacity boat. It is constructed with a solid, shaped hull and flexible tubes at a gunwale. The sides and bow is made of flexible tubes containing pressurised gas. This boat performs short-range insertion and extraction of special operations forces, coastal resupply, and similar tasks. It is used by NATO Forces in the game.
3. Motor boats: These are used by Colombian guerillas, mainly for shipping drugs. Motor boats also appear in the mission "Island Villa Assault", where it is intended to be used by the drug lord to escape. You have to destroy them as to block this escape option.
4. VBL (VÃ©hicule BlindÃ© LÃ©ger): It is a 4-wheeled, all-terrain lightly aromred vehicle. It is originally a French military vehicle, in the game it is used by the Iranian rebels. This vehicle comes in various configurations in reality, in the game it is equipped with a .50 cal heavy machine gun.
5. Iranian patrol boats: These are used mostly by the enemy, though on the mission "Kharg Island Oil Terminal" you board a friendly patrol boat to be taken to the oil terminal. The patrol boats are fitted with two .50 cal machine guns, one on the front and one on the rear.
6. Paulo's private helicopter: You have to destroy the drug lord's private helicopter so that he cannot leave the island on mission "Island Villa Assault".
7. Paulo's private attack helicopter: On the mission "Island Villa Assault", you will be attacked by a small attack helicopter that belongs to Paulo. Simply shoot it down.
If you like the basic DFBHD game, you will definitely not be disappointed with this expansion pack either. However, a few things need to be mentioned. As for the weapons, the G3 battle rifle is definitely used by various US Special Operation Forces. It is not sure that the G36 ever was used by the US Military, although some sources say it is used by Delta Force. Regarding the PSG-1, there are several sources that say that is is used by Delta Force, however, most sources say that it never was used by any military force in the world. On the other hand, while British SAS troops are featured in this game, the are no British weapons in the game. Novalogic should have put the British SA-80 assault rifle into the game instead of weapons that are rather unlikely to have been used by either the US or the UK Military. Moreover, the PSG-1 is graphically not too well designed in this game. The G3A3 and the G36 look pretty. The vehicles, the characters and the missions are OK in the expansion pack.
There aren't too many differences compared to the original DFBHD game. One difference is the basic display when you start the game and when you select missions and weapons. The music also is different than in the basic DFBHD game when you start. There are some minor differences in the terrain. In the original game, you carry 5 smoke grenades on every mission and 4 claymore mines if you select them. If you install the expansion pack, you carry 3 smoke grenades and 2 claymore mines on every mission.
Display At Start In DFBHD Without Team Sabre
Display At Start In DFBHD With Team Sabre Installed
Select A Mission In DFBHD Without Team Sabre
Select A Mission In DFBHD With Team Sabre Installed
A Minor Difference In Terrain In DFBHD Without Team Sabre
A Minor Difference In Terrain In DFBHD With Team Sabre Installed
Missions In Team Sabre: Colombia
1. Drug Smuggling Harbor: You arrive at the mission area by Black Hawk helicopter. Nearby where you were inserted, you will find a bridge over a river. You have to cross that bridge and go to the riverbank where there's a dock. At the dock you have to eliminate a few enemies, board the boat that has just arrived, and go to a nearby village by that boat. From the boat you will have to eliminate the enemies firing at you from the village at the riverbank. Then you arrive at another dock and move to the village where you have to kill the remaining enemies. From there you move on foot to a second village where you will have to kill lots of enemies. There's a dock in that village with two motor boats parking. Those boats are used to smuggle drugs. Once you killed all the enemies in the village, you have to place satchel charges on the boats and blow them up. After you are done with this, you have to move to the extraction point on foot, while eliminating the last wave of enemy resistance. When you arrive at the helicopter landing zone, you are done with this mission.
2. Jungle Airfield Takedown: You arrive by Black Hawk helicopter to the mission area. From the Black Hawk, you have to eliminate enemies on the ground using the minigun. You arrive at an enemy command post where you have to destroy all communications equipment with your minigun. Then the Black Hawk will insert you on the ground, and you will have to go to check that the communications equipment really was destroyed. Then you have to rush back to the helicopter quickly before the enemy will overrun you. Then you board the helicopter, it flies up again, brings you away, and inserts you on the ground somewhere else later. There you will have to board a truck which will carry you to an airfield in the jungle. While en route, you have to repel lots of enemies on both sides of the road. When you arrive, you will see a big airplane which is intended to ship drugs. You have to blow this plane up before it could depart. You can use satchel charges to do that if you are quick enough, but it is recommended to use the AT-4 instead. With the AT-4 rocket launcher you can take the airplane down from afar. After this, you have to destroy all drug crates you find in the area and kill all enemies. After you are done, a Black Hawk helicopter will come for you. When it arrives, you are done with this mission.
3. Jungle Raid: US Intelligence revealed the approximate location of a drug facility but to determine the exact loaction, ground troops are needed to be sent there on foot. You arrive at the mission area by an RHIB on the river. You have to eliminate a few enemies on both sides of the river. Then you gett off the boat and move to the village on foot. You have to kill all enemies in the village as well as to rescue the hostages who have been captured by the guerillas. After you are done with the hostage rescue, you have to move to an underground bunker (which is the drug facility itself), kill all enemies there, destroy all drug crates there, and find intelligence documents. Then you have to leave the bunker and defend the village from the guerrilla counter-attack. You will have to repel all attacking enemies until the relief convoy arrives. When the convoy arrives, you are done with this mission.
4. Attempted Arrest: Intelligence has revealed the possible location of Antonio Paulo. You are inserted into the area by Black Hawk. After you get off the helicopter, you will have to eliminate a few enemies until you arrive at a nearby village. In the village, you have to kill all enemies, find intelligence documents and the drug lord if possible. However, after you find the intel documents, it becomes clear that the drug lord never was there and intel was wrong. Meanwhile, the Black Hawk that brought you to the area was shot down by the enemy in the jungle. You have to leave the village quickly, find the downed Black Hawk, and rescue the pilot before the enemy could capture or kill him. After you leave the village, your way leads through a valley. On both sides of the valley, there are lots of guerillas shooting at you. At the end of the long valley, you find the downed helicopter and the pilot. Rescue the pilot and plant satchel charges on the downed helicopter. Repel the enemies that come to kill you and the pilot. After you are done with this, blow up the downed helicopter so that it cannot be used by the enemy later. Then you move up to a hill and find a bridge over a river. Cross the bridge and kill the enemies you find there. Then blow up the bridge using your satchel charges so that the enemy cannot come after you. Then wait for the rescue helicopter. Once it arrives, you are done with this mission.
5. Island Villa Assault: Intel has determined the exact location of Antonio Paulo. He is located on his private island near the Colombian coast. You arrive at this island by an MH-53 Pave Low helicopter. You will jump into the water near the coast. Then you swim to the shore. Your first task is to eliminate all escape options so that the drug lord cannot leave the island. You have to eliminate some resistance and then blow up Paulo's private helicopter. Then you have to move on foot along the shoreline until you arrive at a warehouse. There will be a lot of resistance on your way. In the warehouse, you have to destroy all equipment you find there. There's a dock adjacent to the warehouse. There are two motor boats. You have to destroy those boats using your satchel charges so that Paulo cannot leave the island. After you are done with this, you can move to the drug lord's villa compound. You kill all enemies there, find the drug lord and kill him. After this, you extract yourself from the area while repelling the enemy counter-attack. Then you arrive at the coast exactly where you were inserted in the beginning of this mission. Now you have finished the mission.
Drug Smuggling Harbor
Jungle Airfield Takedown
Island Villa Assault
Missions In Team Sabre: Iran
1. Kharg Island Infiltration: In this mission you play the character of SAS Commandos. Kharg Island has been seized by Iranian rebels. You have to regain the island from the rebels. Your SAS team is inserted by MH-53 Pave Low helicopter into the mission area. From the helicopter, you jump into the sea. Then you swim to an RHIB which will take you to the shore. You have to eliminate the Iranian patrol boats coming to attack you. After you arrive at the shore, you have to eliminate lots of enemies and find your way to the rendezvous point where you have to meet up with American Delta Force Soldiers. Then you will have to blow up 3 Soviet AAA anti-aircraft guns at the Kharg Island airfield using your satchel charges, while Delta operators lauch an assault to regain control over the airfiled. Once you have blown up the AAA guns, you have to repel the enemy counter-attack until Black Hawk helicopters carrying reinforcements arrive. After the US Rangers (the reinforcements) have arrived, you are done with this mission.
2. Kharg Islans Oil Terminal: NATO Forces have to recapture the oil terminal in Kharg Island from the rebels. You begin this mission at the NATO base, you board a Humvee and move out to a nearby village. In the village, trucks carrying enemy troops will block your way. You quickly eliminate those trucks using the .50 cal heavy machine guns on the Humvee, then you dismount the Humvee. You have to move on foot to a nearby dock where you have to board a friendly Iranian patrol boat. The boat will take you to the oil terminal. Grab the .50 cal machine gun on the boat and eliminate the enemy patrol boats coming to attack you. When you arrive at the oil terminal, you get off the boat and eliminate the resistance. There will be air support provided for you. Then a convoy of enemy vehicles will arrive which you will have to repel quickly. Then you have to go and find a warehouse where the enemy stores weapons, vehicles and other similar equipment. Once you arrive there, you eliminate the resistance and destroy all equipment in there. Now you are done with this mission.
3. Doroud Oil Drilling Platform: You have to regain control over an oil drilling platform captured by the rebels as well as to rescue the oil workers being held hostage on the drilling platform. You begin this mission at a dock where you board an RHIB. The boat will take you to the drilling platform. Once you arrive, the boat will circle slowly around the platform and you can use the .50 cal mounted on the RHIB to kill some enemies there. Once you get off the boat, you have to move up to the platform and kill enemies there. There's a helipad . Also there are 3 surface-to-air missiles which you will have to blow up after you are done with everything else. You clear the helipad for later to escort the hostages there. You rescue the first hostage and escort him to the helipad. Then you receive a warning that Iranina patrol boats are about to attack the platform. You move downstairs to grab a .50 cal machine gun and eliminate those boats. Then you rescue the second hostage. After this you place satchel charges on all 3 missiles. Meanwhile a helicopter has landed on the helipad to extract you. You move quickly to the helicopter and repel a few more enemies who are about to kill the hostages you rescued. Then you board the helicopter. After it flies up, you detonate your satchel charges. Now you are done with this mission.
4. Coastal Pipeline Pump Station: Intel reports that the rebels are about to carry their chemical weapons away to dodge a UN inspection. You arrive at the mission area by Black Hawk. You have to use the minigun to eliminate the resistance on the ground. Once the helicopter has put you on the ground, you have to move on foot to a designated rallying point. You will have to eliminate lots of enemies on the ground. When you arrive at the rallying point, you have to observe the enemy convoy that carries the chemical weapons. You must not attack these vehicles as their contents are highly dangerous. Also, you have to avoid detection. Then the convoy dispatches, and you have to follow them to a point where they stop for a while. There you eliminate the VBLs and trucks fitted with technicals which defend the convoy. Then you board the lead truck of the convoy and commandeer it to a UN outpost. You will have to eliminate a lot of resistance en route. When you arrive at the UN outpost, you are done with this mission.
5. Gachsaran Oil Field: You begin this mission in a convoy of Humvees. You have to travel through an oil field and repel the enemies that come to attack the convoy. This will be a long way. At one point you will have to dismount the Humvee and meet up with SAS troops. You move on foot to a nearby oil well on which the rebels have planted remote control bombs. You elimenate the resistance around the oil well and the SAS troops will defuse the bomb. The you have to repel suicide troops coming in VBLs who intend to attack the oil well. After you are done with this you receive a report over the radio that that convoy that brought you here has been attacked by the enemy. You have to move there. You will see there that a medivac Black Hawk helicopter has arrived to extract the wounded. Also there's another oil well burning nearby. You have to eliminate all enemies in the area to ensure the safety of the firefighters who will be brought to the area by a Black Hawk. When they arrive, they get off the helicopter and shut up the oil well so that it doesn't burn any longer. Now you have finished the mission.
6. Rebel Mountain Stronghold: In this mission you have to kill General Kalb. A Black Hawk helicopter inserts you into the mission area. There are 3 AAA anti-aircraft guns in the city which block any chance to get air support. Your first onjective is to make those AAA guns explode with satchel charges. Also, the rebels have captured a Delta Force operative and held him as hostage. There will be multitudes of enemies in this mission. The Delta operator is held in the building where the 3rd AAA gun is mounted on the top. After you rescue the Delta operator and blow up the 3rd AAA gun, a C-SAR Black Hawk carrying SAS Commandos arrives. From now onwards, you can receive air support. You have to find your way into a mediavel stronghold town where General Kalb is located. When you arrive at the main gate of the stronghold, you will see that the courtyard has been mined. Thus you have to move carefully. Proceed further, kill any and all enemies you find, and enter the stronghold itself. Find General Kalb and kill him. After that, you are done with this mission.
Kharg Island Infiltration
Kharg Island Oil Terminal
Doroud Oil Drilling Platform
Coastal Pipeline Pump Station
Gachsaran Oil Field
Rebel Mountain Stronghold (Screenshot 1)
Rebel Mountain Stronghold (Screenshot 2)
Rebel Mountain Stronghold (Screenshot 3)
Rebel Mountain Stronghold (Screenshot 4)
Hope This Was Useful
I hope you find this article useful. I like Delta Force Black Hawk Down and the Team Sabre expansion pack. Those who like first person shooter PC games will not be disappointed with these games. I highly recommend Delta Force Black Hawk Down and the Team Sabre expansion pack to gamers.