- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Collecting & Collections
Vintage Egg Scales - Chicken Collectibles
Vintage Egg Scales - Chicken Collectible
Mechanical egg scales have been used by farmers for more than 50 years to weigh their eggs for grading.
Small, medium, large and extra large egg grades are based on weight.
If you've ever seen farm-fresh eggs produced by hens from a small farm or backyard chicken flock, you'll have seen that size and shape varies quite a bit. Egg scales make quick work of grading eggs for sale, or to use for cooking when size matters.
Vintage models by Jiffy and other makers can be found in the marketplace. New ones are available, too. At our house, we have grandpa's old one. And we use it, too!
Photos by kimbesa
Vintage Egg Scale Close Up
Egg Scale Shows The Size
Mechanical Egg Scales - Simple and Sturdy
This type of scale is old school. It uses a counterweight on the back to balance when an egg is placed in the holder.
That allows the arm to move and stop in the right range for the size of the egg.
These scales were portable and sturdy to hold up to daily use around the hen house.
Check out the photos to see the front and back of the scale, as it measures a hefty extra large egg.
When you're choosing a vintage egg scale, look for these things:
- Smooth motion of the weighing arm, no snags or drags along the rest of the scale.
- Low rust, and not too much damage to the decals, especially the weights.
- Heavy for its size. The old ones were made to last.
- Check with a real egg of known size, if you're planning to use your scale to weigh eggs.
Egg Scale Front and Back
Ever Seen An Egg Scale?
Did You Learn Something About Egg Scales?
More Chicken Collectibles
To enhance your egg or chicken collection, there are other items that complement pieces used or inspired by life on the farm:
- Small figures of chickens, hens or roosters
- Wire egg baskets used to gather eggs
- Egg cups used to serve soft-boiled eggs
- Salt and pepper shakers in all shapes and sizes
- Egg-motif accessories of all kinds, including linens and clocks
An egg scale can be just the start of a menagerie of interesting pieces for a unique and conversation-starting collection that will look great on your mantel, curio shelf or Hoosier cabinet.