- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games
Counter Strike: Number One online game
Fire in the hole!
The above phrase has been made popular and some even believe that it was introduced in the world of gaming by a game called Counter Strike. It was more than just a game, it was a phenomenon. If you're a first person shooter (fps) gamer, it's most definite that you've heard of Counter Strike and 90% of you've even played it. Heck, suffered an addiction of CS. Known and preached by many as the undisputed king of online gaming, millions of servers of CS thrive 24/7 providing an environment for gamers to exhibit their shooting skills . They experience an adrenaline rush simply by hearing it's name.
I'm a Counter Strike addict too and hell yeah I'm proud of admitting it although I don't procrastinate playing CS and neglect my work. Following a research and from my own study, I've found out there are more gamers playing CS at an instance than any other game in the world and this lens is to tell you why.
Half Life - It all started with Valve
In 1997, the E3 expo saw the animation and AI of a new game presented by developers Mike Harrington and Gabe Newell from Valve. It was termed Half Life. A horror based first person shooter built on the Quake engine. People loved the blood and gore along with aliens and the eerie silence lurking around corners. The game created havoc in the fps genre and it's online servers were thriving with gamers all the time.
Half Life has been given a 9.4/10 rating on Gamespot which gives you an idea on how well it went. Lambda now stood for Half Life and new add-ons and mods were being released every single day. But this was just the beginning, more expansion packs were to be followed and in 1999 a little known modification named Counter Strike was released which got 10,000 hits in just two weeks.
Get your hands dirty with Half Life - Buy it from Amazon
Counter-Strike - They called it CS
In 1999, Minh Gooseman and Jess Cliffe little knew that their modification of Half Life which they named it as Counter Strike was gonna reign the world of online gaming. A tactical fps game in which the player could chose between a terrorist or a counter terrorist and play to their hands bled to defeat your opponents. It is a round based game and each round is won by either completing a mission objective or killing your enemies.
Why did Counter Strike succeed?
1. It demanded minimum system requirements.
2. It was freakishly addictive.
3. You won't even realize even if you spend 5 hours of online gameplay.
4. It was not expensive.
5. There were thousands of maps for online play.
I bet you've already been intrigued and been taken into getting CS in your hands and start fragging. I don't blame you the same was the case with me and I straightaway went to buy it. You can get it from down below.
Buy Counter Strike - It awaits you
Counter Strike 1.6 - What to do once you've got CS installed
After you've installed the game and have gotten yourself comfortable with it's gameplay which is quite difficult to master but gives you loads of fun in the journey, you can follow the below described points to suck all the juice out of it.
1. First and foremost get the Steam client for your PC and make an account.
2. Find 24 x 7 servers from your country and add them to your Favourites list to play them whenever you wish to from GameMonitor.
3. You can make endless friends and join groups. Access the client straight away from in-game and join your friends on the same server.
4. You can download loads of skins and spray decals to enrich your gaming experience.
5. You can setup your own server and invite your friends to play with you.
6. You can watch videos on Youtube and enhance your shooting skills. Believe me it's not that easy to take a head shot.
Counter Strike Source - As if CS 1.6 was not enough
The 1.6 version of Counter Strike received a major graphical and AI update on November 1, 2004 based on the newly developed Valve's Source engine which provided realistic refreshing graphics as well as scintillating audio support. Like it's former variant, CS Source was an instant hit too. Although the gameplay experience of both differs, gamers buy both and enjoy it to the fullest.
According to Gamespy's recent survey, gamers have voted Counter Strike as one of the best and still most played online game. Sources say as of 2011 August, as many as 25 million copies of CS have been sold which describes its huge success. I strongly recommend you to get CS Source too and experience it's highly addictive ambiance.
Buy Counter Strike Source
A tribute to the best players Counter Strike has ever produced - They're worshiped as God's of CS
Here's the top 10 players of Counter Strike ever according to me which might of course differ from person to person. But as far as I'm concerned, they're the titans of this game.
1. sK-SpawN : Widely recognized as 'the' best Counter Strike player of all time.
2. Markeloff : My personal favourite. Considered as the best awper (sniper) of all time.
3. Heaton : A recent favourite of many. Has awesome AK skills.
4. GeT RighT : A master of assault rifles.
5. f0rest : Another sK gaming player. A headshot specialist.
6. walle : A great team leader.
7. Potti : Before SpawN joined sK, he was the best.
8. ksharp : Another gifted awper.
9. Edward : An upcoming star ready to take the number one position.
10. ne0 : Rewarded the title of Player of the decade.
Some of the other good players which I failed to include in my top 10 list are shaGuar, n0thing, knoxville, starix, zonic, Sunde
Gaming mouse and keyboard - You've gotta have the best
If you're a hardcore gamer or are aspiring to become one day, you definitely need an awesome set of gaming peripherals which includes a gaming mouse, mousepad, keyboard and headphones. I've put together a list of the best of them out there which is again my choice and it could differ from gamer to gamer. Hope you find your best.
1. Razer Deathadder gaming mouse.
2. Steel Series Sensei gaming mouse.
3. Steel Series Xai gaming mouse.
4. Roccat Kone[+] gaming mouse.
5. Logitech G9X gaming mouse.
6. Logitech G10 gaming keyboard.
7. Razer Blackwidow ultimate stealth edition gaming keyboard.
8. Cybord V.7 gaming keyboard.
9. Sidewinder X6 gaming keyboard.
10. Razer Lycosa gaming keyboard.
11. Razer Barracuda HP gaming headphones.
12. Razer Orca gaming headphones.
13. Razer Megasoma gaming mousepad.
14. Cooler Master Storm Weapon of choice M4 gaming mousepad.
Buy the ones that suit you
Liked this lens?
Start creating your own lenses
Start writing on Squidoo to express your ideas in a refreshingly scintillating manner. Join Squidoo!