2017 Jello Shot Recipe Ideas for all Occasions
Having a Party? Who Wants Jello Shots!
Well, you know what they say, there's always room for Jell-O! And boy do they go over good with almost any crowd. I would venture to say they are one of the mostly enjoyed shots at any party. I know they do with the people I hang out with.
If you are one of the unlucky ones that has never had a chance to try them, you are missing out. There is almost an endless list of Jello Shot Recipes that can be made, if you can think of it, you can probably make it.
If you stumbled upon here looking to learn how to make Jello Shots, you are in the right place! We are going to go over some of my favorite that I like to make for friends and family, do a little debating on the best way to make Jello Shots (syringe vs plastic shot cup, vs cubes, get your vote in!).
Yo might want to bookmark this page, I will be adding a new Jello Shot Recipe every month. If you have a idea or request, just let me know in the comments section!
Image: UCFFool of Flickr
How to Make Jello Shots
Three main ways that can be used for your Jello Shot Recipe
Ok, so the first thing we need to decide is how we would like to hand the shots out to people. The most exciting way is to make them in a syringe. Looks crazy and they are easy to drink and clean!
The most common way is to make them in small plastic cups. These are not as fun but are cheaper than the syringes. You can find them at your local supermarket. These shot cups come with lids and different sizes/quantity.
Another way to make Jello Shots is to make them into cubes and then place them in a shot glass. There is an upside to making them like this and we are about to go over that right now :).
Not that there is really a debate on the best way to make Jello Shots, but presentation is everything! I have used all three methods above and here are my pros, cons and ideas that I have found.
The Jello Shot Syringe:
The syringe is a fun and easy way to use with your Jello Shot Recipe. Once you make the liquid, you just suck it up into the syringe and place in the refrigerator. Once they have been used they are easy to clean to reuse for your next party.
Plastic Shot Cups:
I'm sure you have seen these. Being the most commonly used method, the plastic shot cups are the cheapest option. I use these if we are making 100 or more because they are cheap and store in a cooler easy.
The cons of using these is that the Jello sticks to sides of the cups and can be hard to drink. You have seen (or done) people using their tongue to loosen up the Jello before drinking it. Not that big of deal, but it can be a pain. Again, a good set up if you are making over 100 shots.
An idea to get around the Jello shots from sticking to the side of the plastic shot cups is to make the Jello shots in cubes, once done you can throw them in the plastic cups.
The pros to this is that they come out easy and you can still use the lids.
The con is that it adds another step in making them and you will need a mold to make them.
Okay, enough of this talk, let's get to the Jello Shot recipes that I love most!
Margarita Jello Shot Recipe - Mmmm, break out the salt!
My wife and I are Parrot Heads and you better believe we like our margaritas! They also make for a very unique jello shot. There are two ways to make them, one easy to store and make in bulk and very unique way that we make when there are not a lot of people. I think you will enjoy them :)
The easy way for bulk:
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 12 servings
Things You Need:
1-3 oz. Box of lime flavor Jello
3/4 Cup white tequila
1/4 Cup Triple Sec
Jello mold (if you would like to make them like the picture above)
Varies-Plastic shot cups
Step 1 Bring water to boil on medium heat.
Step 2 Add lime Jello powder to boiling water mixing well until mixture is completely dissolved.
Step 3 Remove from heat and add the white tequila and Triple Sec stirring the whole time. You want to mix everything good. You do not want to end up with hot spots!
Step 4 Add liquid into either plastic shot cups or jello mold and refrigerate overnight. We use a basting syringe used for baking.
Step 5 Place margarita salt around the top of your shot cups. If you placed the liquid in the cups already they should hold when tipped upside down with no issue. If you placed them in a square mold, make sure to put the salt on the cups before adding the Jello shot to the cups lol.
Step 6 Serve and enjoy :)
The unique way for quality
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 12 servings
Things You Need:
1-cup of limeade
2-packs of gelatin (plain)
3/4 cup of white tequila
2-tbsp of Triple Sec
1-tbsp of fresh lime juice (from one of the limes you have)
1-tbsp of salt (we use margarita salt, if it is to big, you can crush it some)
Step 1- Cut limes in half. from one of the halves, juice out one 1 tbsp of fresh juice and set aside. Then scoop out the insides on the limes as much as possible. You are looking for mostly skin but leaving a little flavor inside will give them a nice kick.
Step 2- Combine limeade in saucepan with the gelatin and let it soak in good. You may stir lightly.
Step 3- Heat limeade and gelatin on medium heat until gelatin is completely dissolved stirring occasionally.
Step 4- Remove from heat and add the white tequila, Triple Sec and fresh lime juice. Stir everything together very good.
Step 5- Carefully pour the concoction into the scooped out lime halves. I use a basting syringe (you can also use the Jello Shot syringe if you have them). It is also a good idea to have the limes on a cookie sheet you do not have to pick them up and move them around.
Step 6- Place the made limes in the refrigerator until they harden. Overnight or longer is best.
Step 7- Take the limes and cut in half.
Step 8- Sprinkle with salt and serve. We add the salt right before serving.
Image: UCFFool of Flickr
Fun Jello Shot Molds - Some of the most common molds to make Jello Shots in
Probably the most fun way to hand out Jello Shots. Great for around Halloween!
An easy way to get the shot out of the cup.
A great mold to make, drop and place in a shot glass.
Thanksgiving Pecan Pie Jello Shots!
The pie that makes Thanksgiving barrable
Fall is the season of pie. One favorite is pecan pie and it is great to have a slice with coffee after a great meal. But did you know that pecan pie can be even better? This year, impress your friends and family with some pizzaz and a new spin on pecan pie. As the kids inhale traditional pies, the adults can have these fun Pecan Pie Jello Shots as an aperitif.
For this simple recipe you will need to find molds that are pie shaped. In a pinch, you could use a cupcake pan and only each mold fill one-third of the way with the Jello mixture. Or you could use an ice cube tray. The recipe below calls for bourbon, but you can most likely place any similar proof spirit that you like, or you know your guests like.
You can use these shots during a fun holiday game. Here is an idea: You can play two truths and a lie. Sitting in a circle, one person takes a turn on the HOT SEAT at a time. They tell 2 truths and one lie about themselves. Another person not on the hot seat guesses which is the lie, if they are wrong, they have to have a pecan pie Jello Shot! You can change the rules to suit your friends.
Thanksgiving is about having fun with friends and family. These pecan pie Thanksgiving shots are a shoe in for success.
What you need
2 packets unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons caramel sauce
3 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 vanilla extract
1 teaspoon molasses
1 cup + 2 tablespoons warm water
1 cup bourbon
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1. Lightly spray molds with baking spray. Put the mold on a cookie sheet so that it will be easier to move the tray to the fridge without spilling.
2. Empty packets of unflavored gelatin into a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons with warm water; stir.
3. In a small saucepan, put caramel sauce, brown sugar, vanilla extract, molasses and 1 cup warm water. Heat up this mixture but do not boil.
4. Add the now solid gelatin mixture to the pan; stir until dissolved.
5. Let cool for a few minutes and then add bourbon.
6. Pour into prepared molds. Leave enough room on top so you can add pecans without it spilling over.
7. Divide chopped pecans among the molds/now shots
Image: iluvgadgets of flikr
Christmas Tree Jello Shots
Christmas trees are the universal symbol of hope. Who does not like a tree that stays green all year? So, you can continue this theme by creating cute Christmas Tree Jello shots for your holiday party. As with any Jello shot, the spirits you use are really up to you. For this recipe, vodka is a nice choice, but you could use other liqueurs with flavors such as peppermint if you prefer.
These green trees will look great on any table. You can be as creative as you like as far as decorating the trees. This recipe adds coconut for a snow-like effect. But you could add sprinkles or confectioner’s stars. It all depends on how much time you have and how detailed you wish to be.
No matter how intricate you decide to make these, they will be popular and look great.
• 1 (3 ounce) box lime Jello
• 1/2 package plain Knox gelatin (one teaspoon)
• 1/4 cup cold water
• 3/4 cup vodka
• special mold needed: tree shaped silicone
• star confetti
• assembly gelatin, (this helps the “decorations” to stick” ) (1/2 cup water and 1/2 envelope gelatin)
• The tricky thing about Jello shots is getting them out of the molds later without destroying them. To help, lightly spray molds with cooking spray and wipe out with a paper towel. Next, set mold on a movable, flat surface such as a cookie sheet. This will make moving the molds easier from the counter to the fridge.
• Pour 1 cup of water into a small saucepan. Sprinkle with 1/2 envelope of plain gelatin and allow to soak for a minute or two. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved (about 5 minutes). Add lime gelatin and stir until dissolved. Stir in 1/4 cup cold water, and then the vodka or whatever spirit you like.
• Pour in molds and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
• An hour or two before serving, prepare the assembly gelatin by pouring the water in a saucepan and sprinkling with the 1/2 envelope of gelatin. Allow to soak for a minute or two. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until dissolved. Allow gelatin to cool to room temperature.
• Sprinkle with coconut and stars then return the trees to the refrigerator for about an hour before serving.
Image: Jaymee Sire of eisforeat.blogspot.com
My wife is a huge berry fan. Sure, I think it is kind of fruity bet heck, I do like them... Another good summer shot idea that is crisp and clean, all the way down :)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Box of large fresh strawberries (biggest you can find)
- 1 box of strawberry Jello
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup vodka
- Step 1 Wash strawberries and cut top of them off. Scrape out the inside of the strawberry as much as possible. The more you get out, the more Jello it will hold. Then cut a little off the bottom of the strawberry so it will stand on it's own if you like. Either way lay them out where they will stand upright.
- Step 2 Bring water to a boil on medium heat.
- Step 3 Remove water from heat and stir in strawberry Jello to boiling water. Make sure it all dissolves.
- Step 4 Let cool, then stir in vodka.
- Step 5 Carefully pour Jello shot mix into strawberries and store in refrigerator overnight. You can use a large spoon, syringe or something that makes it easy to pour.
- b> Enjoy :)
- Extra Ideas
- Before serving, you can add whipped cream or a small piece of strawberry leaf for visualizations and extra taste. If you want to sweeten this treat up, you can role the strawberry in sugar before filling them.
- If you are having a hard time getting them to stand on their own, dip berries in melted chocolate and sit them before it hardens. Makes for a nice stand really, who doesn't like Chocolate?
- People go crazy over this Jello Shot recipe and they will be eaten much faster than the time it took you to make them!
- Image: Justin Matthew
Holiday Jello Shot Molds
Christmas tree mold, perfect for jello
Great mold for making pie shape jello shots. Can also be used for tarts.
Halloween Jello Shots - Bring on the spooky drinks
Halloween is the perfect time to get creative, and what better way than to make a tasty, spooky drink for your friends!
Here are a couple ideas:
Any red flavor jello in a syringe.
Any flavor with gummy eyes in the middle.
Back (food coloring) and red mix in layers.
Jello shot with a peeled grape (eye) in it.
The point is, there are endless opportunities. Just think out of the box!
Here is one that always goes over well with our friends:
Halloween Raspberry Jello Shots with an Added Twist
What is needed:
1 Box of raspberry jello
1 Cup of water
1 Cup of vodka (flavored? think out of the box here!)
1 Bag of gummy worms or something like that.
Step 1 Bring water to a boil on medium heat.
Step 2 Remove from heat and add Jello mix. Stir until dissolved.
Step 3 Let cool then add vodka (we use a Raspberry vodka)
Step 4 Stir well and pour into plastic jello shot cups.
Step 5 Add a gummy worm or gummy eyeball or something to each shot.
Step 6 Refrigerate overnight.
Step 7 Serve
The idea is make them a little spooky looking and to give people a little extra (gummy) that they are not used to.
You can get cream whip and add a little black food coloring and mix it up. Place a little on each jello shot before handing them out.
Dreamsicle Jello Shot Recipe
If you can dream it, you can make it :)
Here is an easy jello shot recipe that can be made quickly and tastes just like a Dreamsicle.
What you need
1- package of orange jello
1-cup of water
1- cup of vanilla flavored vodka
Can of whipped cream
Bring water to a boil then remove from heat. Add Jello to hot water and stir until dissolved all the way. Add vanilla vodka and mix well. Pour into a pan or jello shot cups and place in fridge. Let cool in the refrigerator overnight.
Before serving, top each dreamsicle shot with a little whipped cream, serve and enjoy :)
I will be adding recipes once a month or so, so please share your ideas and recipes. Heck, are you a Squidoo member? Leave your favorite jello shot recipe here and it might get featured on this page with a link back to yours!